What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked up foods with biotin and I realised that all my favourite foods have a lot of biotin except for Montezuma 's. My feeling is that if it is in food it is OK. The supplement I took had masses of biotin - which I think caused the problem.

It will be interesting to see if I have another low hb1ac in March. If I don't - it wasn't stopping the biotin that lowered the hba1c.. Of course I did buy some lovely new socks before I had the hba1c - so it could well be the new socks that gave me the low hba1c.

I had to take my old socks off at the doc's at my last A1C to let her check my feet for neuropathy. Kinda hard to tell her I "feel" the scratcher thingy when I can "see" it doing its thing. All was well so I will probably keep these socks awhile longer. They're no longer absolutely black but they still stay up.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor Archie...maybe he is just a little unsettled Krystyna with all the (unwanted vet) attention...one of my old cats refused to come into the house for days & days after a trip to the vets...fingers crossed for all of you.
@HarryBeau and @DJC3 - Archie a bit better this afternoon. We rang vet who isn't worried as lots of dogs in our area have it and it is not causing serious problems.

Archie keeps going to his bowl and looking hopefully at us but we dare not give him more food. He is drinking lots of water so is keeping well hydrated.

Reactions: Ryhia and DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher thanks for the cheerful colours today, much needed by many.
@Krystyna23040 hope Archie gets better. I found what you said about B vitamins interesting because I also take B vits daily.
Archie is on the mend - thank goodness.

My B vits were from a reputable firm and I am not quite sure why they contained such a huge amount of biotin. The same firm make another formulation of b vits without the huge amount of biotin in.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 this morning following another bout of daytime lows.

I received my official diagnosis for Post Polio Syndrome yesterday.

No worries, I have been chasing this dragon for 20 years. Back at the start, the NHS refused to discuss it and I sat on my hands and waited. Five years back they looked at it and said: "you may have but it hasn't progressed to where it is a problem".

Last two years I've had swallowing issues, blackouts, sleep apnea, muscle issues, fatigue, and, it seems, T2. Hospital had looked at each separately and refused to link them until recently, and now they have conceded.

Like my Asperger's diagnosis, I am quite happy to finally get my PPS recognised, not happy that I have it mind.

Now that it is official they also let me know that there are around 120,000 polio survivors left over from the 50s in the UK and there's a high chance they could develop PPS. Nice to know.

The reason for the final diagnosis is that my symptoms are progressively worsening and there is no known cure for it.

Anyways, final days are still a way off and I'll probably choose euthanasia as my option. Not a religious man so tots and pears aren't necessary, but I thought I'd share it as it will be a factor in my ongoing T2 and may have been the underlying cause.

Enjoy the day ;)
So sorry that your symptoms are worsening but really good that the PPS has finally been recognised.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Precursor to replying to my DUK complaint via email..I went on their Facebook page and asked a question:

Question if I may. Ive started to follow your 7 day meal planner. I followed the breakfast suggestion of 2 slices of seeded brown bread with butter. Eaten at 9.30am with black tea.

19g carbs per slice = 38g 4g carbs = @ 1 teaspoon of sugar So @ 9.5 teaspoons of sugar

You also say you should eat 5 lots of fruit and veg a day spread out throughout the day.

So I had 100g banana at 12.15pm. 100g banana = @ 5 teaspoons of sugar

Using my libre sensor 24 hour constant glucose monitor I recorded the results. I ended it after the banana because looking at what you suggested for me for lunch I thought I couldn't risk my blood sugars going to dizzy heights.

I was struggling to decide between a tuna toastie, 2 slices of bread, stuffed pitta, beans on toast sardines on toast, all taken from your 7 day meal planner.

So my question is this. You recommend starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice potatoes. All which will spike my blood glucose. As a result my hba1c will go up. Mysugr app confirms this.

So how can your recommendations be healthy for a type 2 diabetic?

Standard reply....but I followed it up with 2 more questions. I'm awaiting a reply.
Scary readings. I will be really interested to hear what they reply; How could anyone think this is a healthy way to eat for someone with T2D.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@HarryBeau and @DJC3 - Archie a bit better this afternoon. We rang vet who isn't worried as lots of dogs in our area have it and it is not causing serious problems.

Archie keeps going to his bowl and looking hopefully at us but we dare not give him more food. He is drinking lots of water so is keeping well hydrated.

I'm glad to hear he's doing a little better, and drinking -- as long as all that water is coming out as well as going in ... :)

Barb McD

Pondering on old Brits...

I had the opportunity to meet Mr Dyson while my other half was working for the company. Certain that Sir Jim was/is/will forever be convinced that I am a grinning idiot.

**** you Star Trek

Reactions: trick60

Barb McD

Pondering on old Brits...

I had the opportunity to meet Mr Dyson while my other half was working for the company. Certain that Sir Jim was/is/will forever be convinced that I am a grinning idiot.

**** you Star Trek

Reactions: dunelm

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having a day to ourselves Mrs MC and I agreed we should visit Trentham and have a walk around the lake and Italian gardens. We have season tickets purchased with Tesco points and so it cost us nothing. Sun shone all day, bitter cold, snow drops, Ellebores and primroses everywhere a good day. So inspired by Mr Capability Browns landscape this is today's watercolour sketch, between A4 and A5 paper size, brushes used shown and 30 minutes to complete.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

Reactions: Schmoukes

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher loving these bold and strong contrasting colours you are using and the combination of abstract with the floral detail, nice art.
@Krystyna23040 good to hear Archie is on the mend.

HbA1c that's the way to do it 'Sock it to em' one and all.

@SaskiaKC Howling Wolf now there's a blues singer.

Thinking of the blues, Just ordered another harmonica in the key of A which means I can play along with some slow blues in the key of E. then thinking of Donovan @dunelm thank for the link, got me thinking of Dylan and that harmonica holder he had around his neck, maybe I should get one of those I can then multitask, guitar, harmonica and sing. MRs MC will be impressed as she reckons I can't multitask. :joyful:

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it was 3.1 :( not the best! but i’m gonna try my best to come up with better fbg

Aw mate, that's not a good.start to the day....i know @karen8967 , @johnpol & @Cumberland all have lows at some point.
and they do ok, so it's very manageable if worrying/annoying.

Btw i am right in thinking your T1..?
i don't know enough about it, but others might.

it would help others to post back correct information
( some pretty big differences in how we manage each type)
if you could amend you status under your avatar, that would be useful.

If it helps ..
Go to top of page where YOUR name sits with your avatar pic
RIGHT Click..should give a longish list of items you can add or amend
move cursor to PERSONAL DETAILS..click it (can right click and go to new window so you still see this)

THAT gives you your personal details some of which appear under your avatar
the TYPE of diabetes is one of them
select what yours is, and then Save changes.
hth's

Reactions: UserABC2021

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having a day to ourselves Mrs MC and I agreed we should visit Trentham and have a walk around the lake and Italian gardens. We have season tickets purchased with Tesco points and so it cost us nothing. Sun shone all day, bitter cold, snow drops, Ellebores and primroses everywhere a good day. So inspired by Mr Capability Browns landscape this is today's watercolour sketch, between A4 and A5 paper size, brushes used shown and 30 minutes to complete.

View attachment 38544

View attachment 38545

very atmospheric, can almost hear the waters trickling gently by.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 38544

View attachment 38545
Love this @Muddy Cyclist
A winter's day atmosphere...
Thank you for your compliment.
Sounds like you had a good day.