Saving the planet

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are we as individuals helping to save the planet. Has anyone here cut down on the amount of meat you eat or given it up altogether. We are told we need to cut down and have two or three days a week that are meat free.. difficult for the real meat lovers I know but none of us will die because of a couple of days without meat... if we do not cut down on our meat consumption the government will either tax it or it will rocket in price which could happen anyway after the Brexit transition period . Many people could welcome not having to buy as much or no meat at all as it is probably the most expensive part of our food bill. Some here have a very tight budget and have said they do find the low carb diet with meat expensive for them so they probably do not eat much of it anyway
I think most will agree the planet is in a bad state with pollution, the mountains of plastic waste and the decline and even extinction of wild life including sea life, all things that were never anticipated which have now got so bad it will be difficult to remedy all of it so we all need to do our bit and if eating less meat helps then that is a simple thing we can all do along with using less non biodegradable plastics and using more environmentally friendly cleaning methods for our homes by using less chemical cleaners which I am trying to do if we care about the planets future
I have recently had a new great grandson and I hope that he and all other children everywhere will be able to grow up in a world that is far better than it is now but it does need our help to make it better and if farmers can cut down on the cattle they have and grow more crops to feed us then hopefully that will be a step in the right direction which can only be good news

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How are we as individuals helping to save the planet. Has anyone here cut down on the amount of meat you eat or given it up altogether. We are told we need to cut down and have two or three days a week that are meat free.. difficult for the real meat lovers I know but none of us will die because of a couple of days without meat... if we do not cut down on our meat consumption the government will either tax it or it will rocket in price which could happen anyway after the Brexit transition period . Many people could welcome not having to buy as much or no meat at all as it is probably the most expensive part of our food bill. Some here have a very tight budget and have said they do find the low carb diet with meat expensive for them so they probably do not eat much of it anyway
I think most will agree the planet is in a bad state with pollution, the mountains of plastic waste and the decline and even extinction of wild life including sea life, all things that were never anticipated which have now got so bad it will be difficult to remedy all of it so we all need to do our bit and if eating less meat helps then that is a simple thing we can all do along with using less non biodegradable plastics and using more environmentally cleaning methods for our homes by using less chemical cleaners which I am trying to do if we care about the planets future
I have recently had a new great grandson and I hope that he and all other children everywhere will be able to grow up in a world that is far better than it is now but it does need our help to make it better and if farmers can cut down on the cattle they have and grow more crops to feed us then hopefully that will be a step in the right direction which can only be good news

Congratulations on becoming a great-nana, exciting times ahead and I hope they are filled with love and happiness.
I like your post very much, so, good luck.
ps I made a cheap lasagna yesterday, made with vegetables I already had, with a portion left over too :)

Reactions: Pinkorchid

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am happy to do without meat. I am being as eco mindful as I can in as many ways as I can.

As a diet controlled type 2 I need my dairy protein and eggs, as plant protein is not an option due to my medical issues with nuts, seeds and legumes.

There are a lot of hormone driven cancers in my family so I have to limit my soya, on my consultants advice.

I just do my best and hope that the planetary resources I save by remaining diet controlled makes up for my dairy and egg consumption.

Thank you for highlighting such important issues.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The climate crisis is fake and an agenda.
After two hundred years of burning coal a hundred burning oil on top of that and fifty years burning natural gas the temperature has risen less than one degree C

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It was warmer 1600 years ago when Greenland was green and being farmed and forested by Danes.
Within three hundred years the snow and ice returned with a vengeance and the place was abandoned.
Could Greenland about to become green again for a short/long while?
In this time period grapes were being grown in England as far north as Lincolnshire.
Medieval warm period
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/medieval-warm-period

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
2000 years ago in what has become known as the Roman warm period grapes were being grown and wine produced as far north as Hadrian's wall and the terraces can still be seen there which I'm sure someone from the area can confirm.

satbunny

I have reduced my red meat intake. I rarely drive but walk. I like to choose plant based food options. However I might want to be a flexitarian, I could reduce my animal based intake more, and my business travel can't always be met by trains. So, I am delighted by the explosion of vegan food options in the UK this January. I am really pleased we have decided at last to build our second high speed rail line, releasing capacity for regional rail and building the core infrastructure for HS3, also known as Northern Powerhouse Rail.

I will still have a steak now and then. No-one will stop that, even if I pay a little more.

Taxing items to change behaviour often works, so does education and marketing.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reduced my red meat intake. I rarely drive but walk. I like to choose plant based food options. However I might want to be a flexitarian, I could reduce my animal based intake more, and my business travel can't always be met by trains. So, I am delighted by the explosion of vegan food options in the UK this January. I am really pleased we have decided at last to build our second high speed rail line, releasing capacity for regional rail and building the core infrastructure for HS3, also known as Northern Powerhouse Rail.

I will still have a steak now and then. No-one will stop that, even if I pay a little more.

Taxing items to change behaviour often works, so does education and marketing.
That is good nothing wrong with enjoying a steak when you want it. They are not saying give up meat altogether just reduce the amount we eat a bit.
I have really enjoyed some of the plant based foods I have tried but I would not eat it all the time. I mostly eat chicken but do not want to eat it every day so they make a nice change on my no meat days

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2000 years ago in what has become known as the Roman warm period grapes were being grown and wine produced as far north as Hadrian's wall and the terraces can still be seen there which I'm sure someone from the area can confirm.
Is that actually relevant to the situation with the planet today

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My main concern is the amount of pollution on this planet. I know climate change is a very big issues, but so is pollution.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Of course the past is relevant!
It shows the climate changes and often fairly rapidly all the time.
It shows that when we had much warmer times we thrived not panicked.
There is still large amounts of ice on the planet from the last major ice age some of it might finally be going.
Why did people a thousand years ago see Greenland when green as an opportunity but today we think the world is going to end?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Our science has become corrupted become monetised and politicised like never before.
Science is about debate discussion differences of opinion whilst agenda is about silencing any opposition to your agenda.
Many will remember David Bellamy naturalist and world famous environmentalist who didn't believe mans contribution of CO2 had much impact on climate and said so.
Does this suggest the scientific approach or an agenda ....

David Bellamy: 'I was shunned. They didn't want to hear'
The botanist, 80 this week, says the end of his TV career was caused by his views on climate change. Paul Cahalan meets David Bellamy

Sunday 13 January 2013
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-shunned-they-didnt-want-to-hear-8449307.html

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course the past is relevant!
It shows the climate changes and often fairly rapidly all the time.
It shows that when we had much warmer times we thrived not panicked.
There is still large amounts of ice on the planet from the last major ice age some of it might finally be going.
Why did people a thousand years ago see Greenland when green as an opportunity but today we think the world is going to end?
And they named it Greenland in Viking times

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
And they named it Greenland in Viking times
That's right and their stone chapels and farmhouses remain to this day .... in ruuins of course but it is they who farmed the place and started foresting it but within three hundred years they were driven off by climate change when the ice returned.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our science has become corrupted become monetised and politicised like never before.
Science is about debate discussion differences of opinion whilst agenda is about silencing any opposition to your agenda.
Many will remember David Bellamy naturalist and world famous environmentalist who didn't believe mans contribution of CO2 had much impact on climate and said so.
Does this suggest the scientific approach or an agenda ....

David Bellamy: 'I was shunned. They didn't want to hear'
The botanist, 80 this week, says the end of his TV career was caused by his views on climate change. Paul Cahalan meets David Bellamy

Sunday 13 January 2013
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-shunned-they-didnt-want-to-hear-8449307.html
George Monbiot is quoted as saying much the same and agreeing that his views were misplaced. However, it seems that he found it more pecuniary to his advantage to do a 180 mindflip back again to his old ways.

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Here's more agenda .... can't have the public knowing the truth ....

The Canadian zoologist who led the way in debunking the claim that climate change is endangering polar bears says the University of Victoria bowed to "outside pressure" and fired her.
This professors life is ruined. All that study all that hard work and now no chance of ever being employed again in what she's trained for.
That's the modern scientific approach?
There has been talk of shutting down dissenting voices like mine on the internet altogether .... where are we heading?

University dumps prof who revealed polar bears actually thriving
https://www.wnd.com/2019/10/university-dumps-prof-revealed-polar-bears-actually-thriving/

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
All these lies why?
Good honest science no longer good enough?