What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak we do have a very resourceful company on here so it will all be good. Rhe lorry with the tonic delivery is on standby...;)

Re Coronavirus a man having his hair washed at the basin next to me this morning (at the hair salon) was talking about his great holiday in Vietnam, not long back, never mentioned CV. What I dont understand is there are loads of people with coughs and flu symptons in Feb but who can tell if they have crossed paths with an infected stranger.
That would be a bit scary @PenguinMum
You would think he would keep quiet about his holiday location, given the current situation.
A friend emailed me today asking to meet for a coffee next week because she was travelling at the moment. I emailed back asking where she was travelling. I am coming back from Singapore, she said.
I sent an email saying we would have to make it another time because I had a lingering cough and cold and that I was tired at the mo (I DON’T have a cough or cold), but I panicked and that was only advance excuse I could think of.
But you are right. We can have no idea who we cross paths with.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be a bit scary @PenguinMum
You would think he would keep quiet about his holiday location, given the current situation.
A friend emailed me today asking to meet for a coffee next week because she was travelling at the moment. I emailed back asking where she was travelling. I am coming back from Singapore, she said.
I sent an email saying we would have to make it another time because I had a lingering cough and cold and that I was tired at the mo (I DON’T have a cough or cold), but I panicked and that was only advance excuse I could think of.
But you are right. We can have no idea who we cross paths with.
I think I might give the impression on here that I am a panic merchant but I really am not. I am not expecting the man who holidayed in Vietnam to spread the CV but it is possible because unless the Government test people coming back from the East who knows. I am not very clever but have a very practical mind. Take care Gennepher.

Reactions: geefull

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given a row of books, if I measure the length of the row by the width and height of the biggest book, I wonder if there is a formula that will give me the cubic footage (inchage?) of the size box I need to get to stack them in I have some vague idea that cubic dimensions don't change regardless of the shape of the objects measured ... but not a clue how to go about figuring it out. :)

Volume formula is simply width x height x depth = cubic volume
so 12x12x12 = 1728 cubic inches or 1 cubic foot
or a box 2ft x 1ft x3ft = 6 cubic ft
Cubic dimensions don't change only if the object can be defined within the limits of the known 'box'

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I might give the impression on here that I am a panic merchant but I really am not. I am not expecting the man who holidayed in Vietnam to spread the CV but it is possible because unless the Government test people coming back from the East who knows. I am not very clever but have a very practical mind. Take care Gennepher.

You do not sound at all like a panic merchant to me. What I don't understand is government officials, and others, who say, "Oh, we have to let everyone in, we can't keep anyone out, to do so would be interfering with their civil rights and we must not discriminate against them. If they are carrying a highly contagious and deadly bug it is a disability and they must be pitied and embraced and if we catch their bug, well, equal opportunity for everyone is the name of the game.
clear.png
:banghead:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re ZA event. This place is less than 10 mins away - drove past it today on my quest to find a shed. No 3 son and wife having valentine's meal there tomorrow. Anyhow,@PenguinMum take a look at the Gin Menu - Julie says if we run out she will make do with their's https://www.guinnessarms.com/ (LC or not those menus look enticing) Suffolk has plus points.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am happier this afternoon than I have been in a long time. A neighbor drove me 20 miles to the DDS (Dept. of Drivers' Services) where I was able to renew my driver's license. It is a very nice place and it all went very quickly and smoothly -- except for my inability to figure out the electronic card reader to pay for my license! I think the woman was thinking "This woman has absolutely no business being behind the wheel of a car!" but she was very patient and nice, and I was very pleased to pass the eye exam.
Then we drove another few miles to a wonderful saddlery shop I have been wanting to visit for 7 years, which was as horsey as I have been for more than 3 years. It is interesting to see how the saddles and bridles and bits have changed over the years while remaining essentially the same as they were 57 years ago when I first started riding hunt seat.
THEN we went to an art supply store where my neighbor shopped for some new pens, and I browsed among the painting supplies, @gennepher and @Muddy Cyclist . I saw big brushes and little brushes, pointed brushes and flat brushes, slanted brushes, and spread-eagle brushes. I saw tubes of watercolors (before this thread I had not even know that watercolors came in tubes), and bottles of Aquarelle Liquid Watercolors that looked to me like bottles of India ink. And bottles of Odorless Fat and Odorless Lean.
I challenged myself to go down the staircase at the art shop, because I was feeling so encouraged by the DDS experience and the tack shop -- my neighbor kept telling me I could have taken the elevator and I kept telling her "I know but I wanted to challenge myself" and I made it all the way down! (We took the elevator back up afterwards.)
All in all a very nice day out, 2 1/2 hours of road trip there and back again, and the traffic was not horrible and we only got sort-of lost once. And my phone figured out right where we were and got us out of the cul-de-sac and back to the main road. And Google Maps got us to the tack shop and back to the highway.
It has given me a lot of confidence for next week's even longer road trip to the little town to meet with the apartment manager there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re ZA event. This place is less than 10 mins away - drove past it today on my quest to find a shed. No 3 son and wife having valentine's meal there tomorrow. Anyhow,@PenguinMum take a look at the Gin Menu - Julie says if we run out she will make do with their's https://www.guinnessarms.com/ (LC or not those menus look enticing) Suffolk has plus points.

What a beautiful building! I bet @Krystyna23040 and her DH (would) love it. How does his lordship pronounce his name, I wonder?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is your furniture going in a separate van?

The only piece of furniture I plan to take is my mother's desk (and I haven't decided for sure about it). I am not going to take either the sofa or the mattress w/ box spring. So, it will be mostly boxes of books, pots and pans and dishes and things, one box for the KittenCat's things, and one for my printer. I'm going to pack all my linens and clothes in big plastic trash bags (which will then make good garbage bags after I've gotten moved in) and can be stacked and squeezed together.
The truck looks like this:
10Dimensions.png

or I might go with a cargo van of nearly the same capacity:
upload_2020-2-13_16-19-41.jpeg
And I'm glad to see the van has side doors, those would make for much easier loading!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey to you all @ianpspurs that looks like an amazing pub right on your new dooestep! The gin menu looks good. @SaskiaKC so glad your day went well and you renewed your licence. Useful to have whether you drive or not. Can imagine how you enjoyed the saddlery shop hugely, you must have been in your element.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only piece of furniture I plan to take is my mother's desk (and I haven't decided for sure about it). I am not going to take either the sofa or the mattress w/ box spring. So, it will be mostly boxes of books, pots and pans and dishes and things, one box for the KittenCat's things, and one for my printer. I'm going to pack all my linens and clothes in big plastic trash bags (which will then make good garbage bags after I've gotten moved in) and can be stacked and squeezed together.
10Dimensions.png

View attachment 38574And I'm glad to see the van has side doors, those would make for much easier loading!
Hey that sounds like a good plan but you must take your mama’s desk. Do you have a cat carrier for KC?

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey to you all @ianpspurs that looks like an amazing pub right on your new dooestep! The gin menu looks good. @SaskiaKC so glad your day went well and you renewed your licence. Useful to have whether you drive or not. Can imagine how you enjoyed the saddlery shop hugely, you must have been in your element.

Oh, I was. :) In my lifetime so far saddles have gone from something like this

s-l640.jpg

to something like the ones I saw today

TE030078_08_816734

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10Dimensions.png

View attachment 38574And I'm glad to see the van has side doors, those would make for much easier loading!

Sorry, keep butting in on this. Your original measurements are external and don't allow for the roll shutter space and internal panel straps. So it's really down to 9 x 5 x 5 = 225, somewhat less but more 'loose' edge space. See, this is what happens when an aspie answers a question, my apologies.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey that sounds like a good plan but you must take your mama’s desk. Do you have a cat carrier for KC?

Yes. :) I tried to take a picture of it with the KittenCat but before I could get my phone up and ready she had walked away. She has had a very stressful afternoon that I did not even know about -- while I was out the head of maintenance came in and swapped out my modem. I should have expected he might but TBH I forgot all about it -- it's supposed to improve my Internet speed ... He and the KittenCat know each other but I'm glad I remembered to leave her closet door open so she could take refuge in there for the duration!

thumbnail

Attachments

• 20200213_164700.jpg
    20200213_164700.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 90

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, keep butting in on this. Your original measurements are external and don't allow for the roll shutter space and internal panel straps. So it's really down to 9 x 5 x 5 = 225, somewhat less but more 'loose' edge space. See, this is what happens when an aspie answers a question, my apologies.

Not at all. Please don't apologize. I do the same thing when asked questions for which I have an answer or know where to look for one. I appreciate your replies! :) The measurements I posted earlier of 9'11" etc. were those posted on the rent-a-truck website as the interior dimensions. There is another company I'm also considering; its trucks are a few feet longer -- in the end we will go with the one that will give us the lowest rate.