What on earth can I do???

tcamper1963

Hello,
I am feeling exasperated that my fasting level this morning is 7.7 ....

I have just cycled 1300km on holiday in vietnam, I have lost 12kg over the past 2 years and am now a normal BMI ar 25.

I fast for 20 hours a day 3 times a week and my readings are still increasing...What on earth can I do?

P.s I also eat lowish carbs..

Reactions: Paulm80

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat lower carb. Seriously, maybe it’s still too high. Also what is your hb1ac like and levels at other times of the day? It might just be dawn phenomenon if the rest of the numbers are good. What do you mean by “increasing”?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @HSSS , “Lowish carbs” may not be low enough. Can you give us an example of a typical days menu please?

Edit for typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm80

tcamper1963

Well whilst in Vietnam for a month I simply couldn't avoid rice!

So now that I am home my normal eating is No rice, bread, pasta. I limit a sweet treat to 3 times a week....maybe a club or penguin biscuit. I have a sprinkling of low sugar granola on my yoghurt with berries (only blueberries or raspberries)

So a typical day is:
Don't eat til 2pm but have a coffee with milk
2pm : halumi and salad with olive oil + vinegar
4pm: snack humus with carrots
7pm: Dinner so that is fish with stir fry veg
9pm : cup of tea
10pm: cup of tea and to bed

tcamper1963

My last HBAC1 showed pre diabetes, and I regularly took my morning levels with the glucose monitor which confirmed this.

Over the past 9 months my HBAC1 has steadily increased from 39 to 42 and at times during those months I was doing keto.

I will test my bloods throughout the day as you say it could be the dawn phenomenon.

I am going to retest in a couple of hours as an experiment ONLY I have eaten 2 slices of white bread with banana....now surely that should mean that the glucose reading should be very high.....

Thankyou for your replies, it's very heartwarming and useful...

tcamper1963

Does anyone know the answer?

Low carb/keto.... do I have to follow this diet for ever to lower my glucose?

Or

If I can get my glucose to normal levels can I increase my carbs?

And/or

Will I revert to being diabetic even if I eat carbs one day a week?

????

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Or

And/or

????

Personally I adopted an ultra low carb keto way of eating combined with time restricted eating and reduced my HbA1c drastically.

By doing this I totally reorganised my relationship with food so that I no longer look on it as a reward or treat but fuel.
Once you have done this then the "temptations" of wanting to go back to eating the rubbish that made you ill in the first place become a lot less tempting.

At the start it may seem that this approach is quite extreme.. however it seems that once your eyes are opened as to how much we are manipulated by food producers, pharmaceutical producers and some ill informed doctors keeping healthy becomes more important.

The question "will I want to ever going back to eating how I did before" becomes less important the healthier you get. In fact it now, to me, sounds kinda crazy.

Reactions: Glennis67

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Or

And/or

????
Yes , pretty much so, if you want it to stay lower
No, not much, not if you want them to stay lower

some people tolerate carbs a bit better having lost visceral fat and improved insulin sensitivity but whatever went wrong in the first place will just go wrong again if you return to the original lifestyle.

My opinion is you are always diabetic, you just have it controlled or not. To be cured you’d have to be able to eat carbs and not have an inappropriate reaction to them.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d be starving on your food intake unless they are huge platefuls. The hummus would be raising my levels and too many carrots would too. I’d need more protein and fat. And granola is very high carb even if sugars are low.

Last edited:

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the amount of fasting you are doing and your normal BMI I can understand your frustration. I don’t imagine you’ll get further with diet or exercise, so you need to look around for something else. On the plus side you’re not far off normal HbA1c.

In your shoes I would do a blood test to check your vitamin D level. I believe normal levels help with glycemic control. My own experience is that it takes many months of consistent supplementation to really shift the level on my blood test results. I don’t know of any down side to a modest vitamin D supplement.

I would also consider a magnesium supplement as it’s a common deficiency and also think it helps with glycemic control. It’s laxative so don’t take too much.

Don’t know what else it could be.

tcamper1963

Yes...I am hungry...

I have now re-tested my blood glucose 2 hours after eating 2 x slices of white bread and banana and it's 20.2

That's high eh?

Feedback is VERY welcome x

tcamper1963

With the amount of fasting you are doing and your normal BMI I can understand your frustration. I don’t imagine you’ll get further with diet or exercise, so you need to look around for something else. On the plus side you’re not far off normal HbA1c.

In your shoes I would do a blood test to check your vitamin D level. I believe normal levels help with glycemic control. My own experience is that it takes many months of consistent supplementation to really shift the level on my blood test results. I don’t know of any down side to a modest vitamin D supplement.

I would also consider a magnesium supplement as it’s a common deficiency and also think it helps with glycemic control. It’s laxative so don’t take too much.

Don’t know what else it could be.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes...I am hungry...

I have now re-tested my blood glucose 2 hours after eating 2 x slices of white bread and banana and it's 20.2

That's high eh?

If you cut one of the 3 macro nutrients (carbs) you need to increase at least one of the others (fats and proteins) to maintain energy and satiety. Eat more food. Starvation isn’t a good long term strategy and will damage your metabolism as well as fail to fuel you and give you energy to do your activities.

not in the least surprising to see such horrible numbers from bread and bananas

tcamper1963

Hi, Thanks for replying....

I have had My vitamin D checked, all OK. .I think they checked magnesium as well...

I have had my liver scanned as I was having pain in my side ( I have no gallbladder) but that was fine and they suggested I had a floating rib problem ..

I may have to return to strict keto and fasting again...but its really tough going...I could cry at the thought of it!

Oh dear!!

tcamper1963

If you cut one of the 3 macro nutrients (carbs) you need to increase at least one of the others (fats and proteins) to maintain energy and satiety. Eat more food. Starvation isn’t a good long term strategy and will damage your metabolism as well as fail to fuel you and give you energy to do your activities.

not in the least surprising to see such horrible numbers from bread and bananas

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes...I am hungry...

That's high eh?

Mine would be at that level if I ate that meal.

How much fat do you eat?

tcamper1963

Hi,

Thanks for your reply...

I make sure I eat enough calories about 1800 - 2000 per day...

I do understand the metabolic damage visit caloric restriction which is why i try to eat in a 4 - 6 hour window....

I am very active as well...

I guess i have to go back to strict keto....

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Thanks for replying....

I have had My vitamin D checked, all OK. .I think they checked magnesium as well...

I have had my liver scanned as I was having pain in my side ( I have no gallbladder) but that was fine and they suggested I had a floating rib problem ..

I may have to return to strict keto and fasting again...but its really tough going...I could cry at the thought of it!

Oh dear!!
I’m wondering if there are more carbs than you realise in what you eat. Also what about it is tough. Maybe we can help find ways to make it better.