Diagnosed T2 last July...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Antje77,

"Good luck, you might well prove whoever told you 'inevitable decline' wrong"

This was learned from the NHS Desmond session. Whilst T2 can be kept in check for (many) years, the insulin produced by pancreas eventually depletes, leaving induced insulin the only option.
I have managed to maintain my hba1c between 35 and 37 for approx 7 years on approx 100-130g carbs per day and am still relatively fit and healthy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have managed to maintain my hba1c between 35 and 37 for approx 7 years on approx 100-130g carbs per day and am still relatively fit and healthy.

Thanks, @Daphne917, that's encouraging and a little more manageable!

As I mentioned in my original post, I had only cut sugary things like biscuits, fizzy drinks, et al. The drop in HbA1c was still while I was probably (and naively) overdoing carbs. Now I have better information, I'm closely monitoring my intake, so hopefully this will lead to improvement without enormous sacrifices.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I mirror the experience of those posting on this thread. Keto & IF took me off the T2D meds, substantially reduced my weight, particularly the visceral fat, and just short of a year my HbA1c is down to 23, which is at the lower end (20) of normal. Your HbA1c reading is the long term measure of your BSL (2 to 3 months) and is an good measure of how successful your lifestyle changes are working. Anyone who declares that T2D is progressive needs to go back to the drawing board. It's only progressive for those getting wrong advice or for those, for whatever reasons, are unable and or unwilling to make the changes necessary to resolve their metabolic issues. From personal experience there are plenty of those people around.

Reactions: KathyFrance
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest, how many people in this thread do regular moderate to heavy exercise, and how does that affect your bloods?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of interest, how many people in this thread do regular moderate to heavy exercise, and how does that affect your bloods?

When I was first diagnosed type 2 in May ‘17, I was waiting for major surgeries on both my feet so I did no structured exercise. Despite this I managed to get my HbA1c down to non diabetic levels in four months, at the same time I lost 4-5 stone in weight. I then went on to lose 6 1/2 stone altogether and have maintained my blood sugars at non diabetic levels ever since. My surgeries were completed in Feb last year and since then I have taken up swimming twice an week and I have become a Health Walk Leader, taking part in two one hour walks per week. The exercise is good for me in many ways, but I guess what I’m saying is that exercise isn’t essential for weight loss or diabetes control.

Edit for typo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @Rachox. I'm looking for a balance. Exercise stimulates the use of glucose, so between that and lowering carbs, I am going to see how well I can maintain it.

Reactions: Rachox

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Rachox. I'm looking for a balance. Exercise stimulates the use of glucose, so between that and lowering carbs, I am going to see how well I can maintain it.

I'd say Diet, Diet , Diet..then weight loss, THEN exercise.

weight loss usually comes as we eat less sugary carbs
the exercise is nice, but ALL the things that get you slightly out of breathe are exercise.
that extra walk to the station one stop over, taking the stairs not the lift,
housework washing the car..all good.

while i will admit to doing weights and the gym as well,
you don't have to be a ninja or a Gym bunny to make use of exercise.
so for those do run the odd marathon or such, good stuff, but is it essential to controlling T2D..nope

it's an allergy to carbs..cut the carbs, manage the disease and it's implications better..simples.
lose weight even better,
exercise like a loon , maybe good as well

But at it's Core..
Is
Diet, Diet, Diet.
get THAT wrong and all the others stuff doesn't make a blind bit of difference, in the long run.