Corona virus

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. But my cousin knows about this kind of thing as he did science in college and he said it's just a flu. This coronavirus was around years ago, it's just a stronger version

Reactions: ShazK

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes. But my cousin knows about this kind of thing as he did science in college and he said it's just a flu. This coronavirus was around years ago, it's just a stronger version
Ok thanks. I had a brutal virus over Christmas so really edgy about all this.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It seems that the majority of healthy people are only getting milder symptoms so one of the best things you can do is to try to keep your diabetes well controlled, and any other health conditions. Eat well, build up your immune system (reduce stress, try relaxation, get enough sleep, etc.).

Sattiva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not overly worried about Covid as for now it's just a new stronger strain of the flu virus. So far from what I've seen and read Covid has only killed about 2% of the people it has infected whereas the common cold has killed far more so far

Reactions: localshop

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It's been around for decades, if you look at the back of Dettol it mentions that it kills this. Maybe the Covid 19 is a stronger variant.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I gave you a funny icon...you were joking weren't you? x

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's been around for decades, if you look at the back of Dettol it mentions that it kills this. Maybe the Covid 19 is a stronger variant.
You're probably right. Just gettin my worry head on

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Now you mention it.. & when one thinks of the "plague" in the mid 1300s? Folk running about with masks & "pockets full of posies.."
There's no replacment to washing one's hands. (Thoroughly.)

There's always summat going about.

Reactions: lessci and Lynz84

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is just a variation of flu with a particular liking for the lungs. However all on here have access to the flu jab as do thousands of over 65s. And in reality if you have ever had proper flu you never say the words, ‘it is only like flu!’ Real flu, not the ones people glibly say they have had, is nasty.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Why is it that the more I think about not trying to raise my hands up near to my face, the more the side of my nose seem to itch?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The flu jab is tailored for the specific strains of flu that are predicted to be circulating during the next year. It takes a year to identify these strains and then manufacture the jab. There are always several different strains of flu circulating in any one year, so not all the flu strains are covered.

Since the COVID19 stain is a mutated cold virus, not a flu virus, it is not covered by the current flu jab, and any jab will take around a year to produce.

Having said that, it appears that the COVID19 is mild in the majority of cases.

Remember swine flu? Most people with it went around coughing over everyone else because they thought they had a cold, and didn't actually realise that they were spreading the flu. I suspect that the same will happen with COVID19.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is it that the more I think about not trying to raise my hands up near to my face, the more the side of my nose seem to itch?

Then there's adjusting spectacle frames too..? Usually an index finger push to the bridge of the nose.

The OConnor strain nearly wiped out many a stage act in the 1970s .. ;)

image.gif

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, my biggest worry is that it will be severe for us diabetics. Because we haven’t had a jab for this virus and i guess i’m worried about what will happen if any of us did. I try to keep positive because worrying isn’t going to change much but i suppose its easier said than done when they are putting you in the category of the people who should worry

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys, my biggest worry is that it will be severe for us diabetics. Because we haven’t had a jab for this virus and i guess i’m worried about what will happen if any of us did. I try to keep positive because worrying isn’t going to change much but i suppose its easier said than done when they are putting you in the category of the people who should worry

Have you had the flu whilst diabetic.....?

I know I have and although I felt terrible and couldn't stomach much food, I managed to keep levels stable and more importantly the ketones at bay.......with the sick day rules...

I expect this virus to be exactly the same...

Unless you have a lung condition or heart problems, you will fight it off as you would with any other flu virus...

Last edited: