Coronavirus - How at risk am I?

Henry2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m 17 years old and I have type 1 diabetes and on an omnipod . I’ve seen so much in the news lately about the coronavirus and I just don’t know what to believe and what not - I’ve got pretty bad anxiety about it all and I want to know just how at risk am I? As in how much more likely I am to get it and how much worse will it be for me if I have it , or is it just like a type 1 diabetic having the flu , just want to know the facts surrounding diabetes and coronavirus rather than all the fearmongering :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No-one could possibly answer that. Take the precautions you feel necessary. You're 17, live your life.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hello Henry. To put this into perspective, are you worried at the moment about getting the flu? As a seventeen year old you are very unlikely to catch coronavirus. You are much more likely to get flu!
People over the age of 60 are much more susceptible to coronavirus and so far there have been almost no cases in children and teenagers. I am over 60 and have a degree in medical microbiology. I am listening to the government scientists who have access to data and am ignoring all the scaremongering by people who really don't know what they are talking about. I really don't think you need to be worried but keep washing your hands so that you lessen the risk to other susceptible people.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
just want to know the facts surrounding diabetes and coronavirus rather than all the fearmongering

You've half answered your own question, don't believe too much of the papers who are scaremongering and making mountains out of mole hills and definitely don't believe Boris who thinks it's clever to boast about shaking hands with patients. Listen to the medics.

By the way, when you see rates of infection and death rates, the numbers will always be inaccurate because not everyone will be reporting their illness, some may not even recognise their illness.

Just do what you can.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Tom Hanks is currently in Australia and has Covid. And he's a T2 diabetic.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well I have the “ sniffles” just about to go to the gym , I have had diabetes 40 years, had a heart attack stent fitting had kidney failure due to sepsis, had operation on my lung due to empyema , so I guess I am at risk , hmm have I got a mask ,, er no am I stock piling toilet rolls and pasta. Errr nooo , am I going to die yes eventually how am I going to die I don’t know , to coin an old phrase am I bovvered nope, think I’ll just carry on if I have it I’ll know soon enough anyways time for the gym

Reactions: lizdeluz and J girl
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I’m 17 years old and I have type 1 diabetes and on an omnipod . I’ve seen so much in the news lately about the coronavirus and I just don’t know what to believe and what not - I’ve got pretty bad anxiety about it all and I want to know just how at risk am I? As in how much more likely I am to get it and how much worse will it be for me if I have it , or is it just like a type 1 diabetic having the flu , just want to know the facts surrounding diabetes and coronavirus rather than all the fearmongering :)

Hi, it's the same for many people, as the unknown is the scariest.
Younger people are very low risk, so that's positive.
Keep on checking for updates, have a good hygiene practice, be aware, vigilant and do the very best you can to stay safe.
Take care :) Here's a link.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Reactions: Bill_St
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Except that it makes them feel less wary and thus more likely to infect and possibly kill older, sicker people they come into contact with.

But the younger generation are not at a great risk, so they aren't the ones, for now, that would infect other's, it's people from certain countries that are infecting other's, look at the recent Austrian man.
A younger person has decades and decades of life in front of them, the OP is concerned and a little anxious, my daughter is and she hasn't got diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the younger generation are not at a great risk, so they aren't the ones, for now, that would infect other's, it's people from certain countries that are infecting other's, look at the recent Austrian man.
A younger person has decades and decades of life in front of them, the OP is concerned and a little anxious, my daughter is and she hasn't got diabetes.

I think what you mean is people who have visited certain countries, rather than necessarily "people from" those "certain countries" ?

Reactions: KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the younger generation are not at a great risk, so they aren't the ones, for now, that would infect other's,
I don't think young people are at less risk of getting it, just at less risk of it being serious. This makes them a threat as they can affect others while they have very mild or no symptoms themselves.

Reactions: jjraak

TC71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I have the “ sniffles” just about to go to the gym , I have had diabetes 40 years, had a heart attack stent fitting had kidney failure due to sepsis, had operation on my lung due to empyema , so I guess I am at risk , hmm have I got a mask ,, er no am I stock piling toilet rolls and pasta. Errr nooo , am I going to die yes eventually how am I going to die I don’t know , to coin an old phrase am I bovvered nope, think I’ll just carry on if I have it I’ll know soon enough anyways time for the gym

Got the sniffles so thought you'd go to the gym and pass on your bacteria in the air and all over the gym eqiupment. Well done you.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm 70
I have asthma, myasthenia gravis, diabetes and I take an Immunosuppressant

This virus is virtually totally unknown it is more virulent than the flu virus and is now pandemic I shall not be carrying on as normal but will be taking precautions because one thing I know is if I do get it I will be lucky to survive it.

One thing I will be sure to do is stay away from any gym frequented by @Ushthetaff

And as having had to study cross infection in depth as part of my degree course I am not prepared to be
blase about it.

Reactions: ianf0ster and catza

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
How will anyone know who it is who is giving it to them ! Some people are just carriers, even if we do what Italy are doing someone is going to break the curfew. Have they st
Got the sniffles so thought you'd go to the gym and pass on your bacteria in the air and all over the gym eqiupment. Well done you.
had sniffles for a week also so should I stay in or should I wear a full body suit with B/ A set or should I stay in permanently become a recluse and worry about everything that could happen or carry on hmm let me think about tHat for a millisecond
Ps that’s for the “well done “much appreciated I shall wear it like a badge glad I’m doing something right