Dexcom NHS

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Hi haven’t posted on here for a while but a friend Who type 2 diabetes recommended me to post on here.......

Anyway I’m type 1 diabetic...

And wanted to know if anyone has been funded by the Dexcom G6

Thanks

Sonny

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sonny,

From what I know, it's more common for the freestyle Libre to be prescribed. I could be wrong.

However, I will tag in @therower & @Juicyj . Who I believe use Dexcom, & may know more...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I have been funded for the Dexcom G6 as well under a strict criteria though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I have been funded for the Dexcom G6 as well under a strict criteria though.

Lol, forgot about you.. Any chance of elabourating on the "hoops" jumped through for Sonny? :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Sonnyb2 its not prescribed by my CCG so it does very much depend on where you are in the country.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, forgot about you.. Any chance of elabourating on the "hoops" jumped through for Sonny? :)

No worries,

The criteria would be: More than 1 episode a year of severe hypoglycaemia with no obviously preventable precipitating cause

Complete loss of awareness of hypoglycaemia
Frequent (more than 2 episodes a week) asymptomatic hypoglycaemia that is causing problems with daily activities

Extreme fear of hypoglycaemia

Hyperglycaemia (HbA1c of 75mmol/mol [9%] or higher) that persists despite testing at least 10 times a day. Continue real-time CGM only if HbA1c can be sustained at or below 53 mmol/mol [7%] and/or there has been a fall in HbA1c of 27 mmol/mol [2.5%] or more).”

But of course, it depends on where the OP lives as some CCGs won’t fund for CGMs and CGMs with pumps like medtronic 670G.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hyperglycaemia (HbA1c of 75mmol/mol [9%] or higher) that persists despite testing at least 10 times a day. Continue real-time CGM only if HbA1c can be sustained at or below 53 mmol/mol [7%] and/or there has been a fall in HbA1c of 27 mmol/mol [2.5%] or more).”
I got mine on these grounds.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have the g6 funded by nhs, sadly I only applied for it after a bad hypo which ended in me being in a coma and having a stay in intensive care so I think that helped my application a lot.
If you apply I would suggest getting in touch with your diabetes team and asking for their assistance with it and to make sure you have the best chance of acceptance, they will be able to help with some parts!!
Hope you manage to get one, it’s a great piece of equipment!! Xx

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just observationally, the answers above are from the UK, we all know what the "N" is NHS stands for. Do you feel it is equitable that if a Type 1 met the criteria in the UK, it should be a postcode lottery, I.e. up to CCG's.

Obviously we have devolved nations but I really can't understand this policy for G6's or Libres.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just observationally, the answers above are from the UK, we all know what the "N" is NHS stands for. Do you feel it is equitable that if a Type 1 met the criteria in the UK, it should be a postcode lottery, I.e. up to CCG's.

Obviously we have devolved nations but I really can't understand this policy for G6's or Libres.
I'm lucky enough to have it on prescription here in Wales :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do u like it..... thinking of self funding after this madness is over (COVID-19)
Yes it’s a good piece of kit.
A great insight into what goes on inside our bodies.
I still enjoy not having a sensor on though. Alongside all the information the G6 gives I like to keep in touch with my gut feeling for things. I find it can become to easy and a tad obsessive just using a CGM.

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Yes it’s a good piece of kit.
A great insight into what goes on inside our bodies.
I still enjoy not having a sensor on though. Alongside all the information the G6 gives I like to keep in touch with my gut feeling for things. I find it can become to easy and a tad obsessive just using a CGM.

Have u ever spoken with James

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The first thing to find out is does your county CCG support Dexcom. I attend a clinic in Dorset (Bournemouth) who today only support Libre, but I live in Hampshire who support both the Libre and Dexcom. Once you have this then you can work on the "how to get your consultants approval" as its not always a simple black and white decision, especially if you have been self funding CGM's for a long time and the good control they allow you to obtain could exclude you from the current medical criteria. I would recommend speaking to someone from JDRF who can help with the options you might have and how to approach your consultant.