COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, unless I am advised to, or told to, I am not showing any symptoms, but I think now, people with certain medical conditions and/or age, should be tested now, sooner, rather than later.
Have a safe day everyone.

Would testing these groups (us) help?
(we) could be infected the second we walk out of the place.
It is not better to advise (us) to take more precautions if possible, such as self-isolating?
Surely the primary thing for (us), is to not get infected in the first place?
If we self-isolate (where possible, I understand it's much more difficult some people) do we not have the best chance of not infecting anyone or catching anything?

lindisfel

Expert
It seems that we, the vulnerable, are put in one scale, the other scale has economics but also the chance of developing some herd immunity, if we get a sufficiently big flat topped first wave.
It is ironic an humane Western government has chosen the course of infirm and elderly deaths, whereas a regime like China, and of course also South Korea, are following a course that will probably bring about a reduced death rate in the elderly and those with health problems.

Because of their active policy South Korea has a death rate under 1%.
D.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My family the same. Even hubby not exactly on same wave length. He is running with it to keep me happy he said (stocking up). Frustrating. My daughter thinks media hyping it up. Still preparing to fly to Lanzarote on 18th.

With the greatest respect your daughter needs a kick up the ****.
If she wants to infect herself, that's fine. But it's during the (5 - 12?) day incubation period when she is symptomless but able to infect others that the danger lies. It could me by Mum.
Sorry to say I've heard this too often - it is purely reckless and selfish.

pusspins

i was being facetious about it being flu, as you know, right;)

in worry mode, i'd wonder if the virus has mutated, the strains in Italy and Iran seem more virulent, then previous :watching:
add in countries are now closing borders, and it's a different ball game.

i think on a side note, if i needed meds i'd be considering whether it might be sensible to get them in sooner,just in case.
just saying..:)
I would take it seriously. The country I live in has just about closed down everything, universities, schools, museums, sports events, because the number of infections is doubling every second day. No panic, but make sure you have what you really need if you can't go out for a while. Italy has now closed all shops except chemist's and supermarkets, and this country shares a border with Italy. Most people infected were there on skiing holidays.....
Here, we are told not to visit older people (like me), hospitals and retirement homes are out of bounds...
The biggest fear is thet the health system won't be able to cope.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not better to advise (us) to take more precautions if possible, such as self-isolating?
If we self-isolate (where possible, I understand it's much more difficult some people) do we not have the best chance of not infecting anyone or catching anything?

I sort of agree @Jo_the_boat

we test day one then day two get a cold and retest again and again.

I liken it to the MOT for cars etc.
It just means TODAY everything is ok.

so in that respect you are so right.

However, as i understand it, and as @lindisfel alludes to S Korea, in particular
has had great success with MORE testing.

This, as i read it helps because the scant resources, once a cluster is identified is then focused on that cluster,
thus helping to reduce the transmission rate, and i guess flattening the very curve we seek to do here in the uk,

but on a location by location basis..
this seems to have helped lower the rate those who may get ill
Aka the old/impaired,

reducing the strains on the NHS there, and optimising the use of all their tools in a very Focused fashion.

Seems to be effective, i would say.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I have two part-time jobs, one is zero hours, I have also been in touch with both employers regarding the Corona virus, one is a County council and no action was needed, so how can all of the people self isolate ? So I have done my utmost to inform them, to update them, I am always looking for recent updates, I have very good hygiene practice too and I'm trying my best to be safe, sensible, calm and level headed.
I do not want to get infected any more than anyone else !

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is now exactly one month since I started this discussion.

Having watched the Three Wise M(onkeys?) in their press conference yesterday I have to ask how far we have come.

Can we rely upon them?
Some is undoubtedly true.
Likely number of infected - but now they effectively Stop testing (apart from in hospital) so we don’t know how many.
Number of deaths - but now we stay at home - how many elderly and infirm will die there?
They are trying to protect the NHS - but who for?

How many times did they mention Diabetes? How many actually have this ? Do they know? Do we still matter or have we been discounted? They still just say underlying conditions. Perhaps time to remove the “under” from that.

The Medical papers say best way to fight panic is with trustworthy information.
Do they believe that or do they think they can win all with PR?

protecting the Country as a whole or protecting their self, position and pockets.

How many other “experts” agree and which of them are Medically trained.

One last thing. The Lancet has just updated the study of those hospitalised in China.
They do now give the longterm (2 month now rather than one month as in my OP) figures for PWD.
As I have posted previously, it is the proportion who recover that is important to us.
upload_2020-3-13_8-38-39.jpeg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would take it seriously. The country I live in has just about closed down everything, universities, schools, museums, sports events, because the number of infections is doubling every second day. No panic, but make sure you have what you really need if you can't go out for a while. Italy has now closed all shops except chemist's and supermarkets, and this country shares a border with Italy. Most people infected were there on skiing holidays.....
Here, we are told not to visit older people (like me), hospitals and retirement homes are out of bounds...
The biggest fear is thet the health system won't be able to cope.

Do so agree, @pusspins.

I think THAT has been the fear that has driven a lot of the bulk buying of late, stripping of supermarkets of so many selected items.

Am dubious how much time will be allocated once an area will be isolated by the authorities,
i doubt it would be sufficient to go to the shops and queue for all that you needed, even if it was in stock and not limited to 2/3/4 per customers, as i suspect it will be, IF even available.

Take care my friend
and stay safe.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is now exactly one month since I started this discussion.

Having watched the Three Wise M(onkeys?) in their press conference yesterday I have to ask how far we have come.

Can we rely upon them?
Some is undoubtedly true.
Likely number of infected - but now they effectively Stop testing (apart from in hospital) so we don’t know how many.
Number of deaths - but now we stay at home - how many elderly and infirm will die there?
They are trying to protect the NHS - but who for?

How many times did they mention Diabetes? How many actually have this ? Do they know? Do we still matter or have we been discounted? They still just say underlying conditions. Perhaps time to remove the “under” from that.

The Medical papers say best way to fight panic is with trustworthy information.
Do they believe that or do they think they can win all with PR?

protecting the Country as a whole or protecting their self, position and pockets.

How many other “experts” agree and which of them are Medically trained.

One last thing. The Lancet has just updated the study of those hospitalised in China.
They do now give the longterm (2 month now rather than one month as in my OP) figures for PWD.
As I have posted previously, it is the proportion who recover that is important to us.
View attachment 39351

Chuckled over the Under Lying quip...
but quickly stopped when i looked at the rate for diabetes..:wideyed:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am more confused than ever after yesterday’s press conference. Why are they reducing testing. Tbh if I get ill and stay in and get better I would like to know if I had just recovered from Coronavirus. Then I could be more confident about living normally going forward and NOT worrying about infecting vulnerable people or still waiting to get CV. Does that make any sense?
My bro in Ireland said a supermarket chain they use have men in white suits spraying disinfectant over all the outside doors, pillars and the trolleys before they open each day.

Lilylala

The tv programme the walking dead does seem very much like what is happening with the spread of this virus.If you have watched the programme from the beginning it started with a small amount of infected people and soon spread all over the world .People isolating , shops emptied of supplies .It does all seem surreal .Where is it all going to end up ? Apocalyptic ?........ Sorry I think I watch to much tv ! ..... Or could this be what's the beginning of the end ?.......well I think we all will have to watch this space , wade it out , look after ourselves and others and pray to God it all ends well.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tbh if I get ill and stay in and get better I would like to know if I had just recovered from Coronavirus. Then I could be more confident about living normally going forward and NOT worrying about infecting vulnerable people or still waiting to get CV. Does that make any sense?

Perfect sense to me, @PenguinMum

If we just get flu/cold and worry WAS IT..won't we just carry on worrying we might die.
BUT if we get tested and it is Covid, and we get better, how great would that be that it might not be that disastrous for ourselves, BUT also for those who too, suffer similar impairments in health

A lot of this will be the worry, what better way to calm peoples nerves but to have the success stories out there Loud And Proud.

can't help thinking a lot of this no testing while explained by the cost etc, is also geared towards making the after story and the count of how many infected, look much better then it should have any right to be.

Am reminded of the american fixation in Vietnam of the body count..aka we kill more then they do
totally missing the point that WE care about the cost, while the generals didn't

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should post the reference for the Diabetes 31% Non-survivor vs 14% Survivor rates that I posted above.
They are from Table 1 which you have to expand to see diabetes.

Numbers are naturally low as this is from the very start of hospital records.
For higher numbers see the WHO records with 0.9% death rate from No-coexisting condition and 9%/7% death rate for diabetes - but again, that carries a warning that it is only those to date (Jan) and does not consider all those still in care, so short term only.

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/article/S0140-6736(20)30566-3

WHO data

upload_2020-3-13_10-0-17.jpeg

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Is there any point in people getting a pneumonia jab?
Yes. The worse time to need hospitalisation for pneumonia is when the hospitals are already full due to cases of Covid-19. Also, it's possible that a pneumonia infection may damage the airways in away that makes you more susceptible to becoming infected with Covid-19.

Stuarthmfc

Yes. The worse time to need hospitalisation for pneumonia is when the hospitals are already full due to cases of Covid-19. Also, it's possible that a pneumonia infection may damage the airways in away that makes you more susceptible to becoming infected with Covid-19.

I’m thinking as pneumonia is a stage that coronavirus can take you too, would the excising jab protect with that?

Dark Horse

I’m thinking as pneumonia is a stage that coronavirus can take you too, would the excising jab protect with that?
Pneumonia vaccine protects against one particular bacterium, Streptococcus pneumoniae. This is one of the most common causes of post-influenza pneumonia so you would expect the vaccine help protect against a post-Covid-19 infection with that particular bacterial species. However, pneumonia can be caused by other bacteria and it would offer no protection against them.

Reactions: jjraak