COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly there are a lot of people far less concerned about their health than we in here are.

I’ve been raging against the lack of action by the government too but unfortunately I think they might have a point. So many fools out there only interested in themselves and if they don’t feel at risk they won’t change their behaviour at all, thus increasing the risk for us all. The government seem to be acting (or believing so anyway) to accommodate the lowest common denominator of those that won’t maintain strict protocols in favour of ease.

I do get the point of nhs capacity but feel so sickened by the need to put wealth ahead of health.

I’m hoping to see rapid escalation and that’s today’s minor steps are just a warming up of the audience

nb my family think I’m paranoid and full of conspiracy theory but I predicted the closure of social events and panic buying to them a month or more ago but would they listen?
My family the same. Even hubby not exactly on same wave length. He is running with it to keep me happy he said (stocking up). Frustrating. My daughter thinks media hyping it up. Still preparing to fly to Lanzarote on 18th.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My family the same. Even hubby not exactly on same wave length. He is running with it to keep me happy he said (stocking up). Frustrating. My daughter thinks media hyping it up. Still preparing to fly to Lanzarote on 18th.

I hear that @Debandez ..

My Missus the same.
As You know me n you have been discussing this and our action plan since end of Jan,

So we both been in step as we began stocking up..way early

Well like you..,
My Missus RAN with it.. And when I explained the asthma and T2 figure high on the risk list, agreed and wore her fingers to the bone as she sang happy birthday as she scrubbed her hands religiously after work to keep me safe..bless her.xx

My daughter was a denier too, like yours
. Until todays bombshell finally woke her up.
And asked for help getting in some supplies.
Kids huh... Know it all.:rolleyes:

Have to admit.. Nearly 4 am
And as much as we spoke of it WAY BACK THEN, projected and mused over how and when this WOULD IMPACT us here in the UK..

I AM, if completely honest..SHOCKED at how much WORSE it is then even we originally thought...:wideyed:

BUT tomorrow IS another day, and in time THAT may be the greatest take away from this.... That we know time for many is not a given anymore, so must make the most of each day.

The time for moaning about how we got here IS over... The blame game can wait.

We NEED to be moving on as one nation, and thinking WHAT can WE do To MAKE that difference to someone's life OR the risks to THEIR life expectancy ..

Simple, solid measures ARE quite literally within our own hands.

Our little street has a whatsapp group, so we can call on someone if we are ill or others can do errands for those unable...simple things that transcend all our differences of class creed colour age etc etc

As JFK famously said
Ask not what your country can do for you.
Ask what YOU can do for YOUR neighbors.

Stay safe all.

Reactions: Salvia and kokhongw

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So Mikel Arteta has the virus too and Arsenal's match v Brighton is off. Interestingly I reckon the only place I could have caught this cold/chest infection was at Portsmouth when we went to the FA Cup match.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I reckon I will be either better or alot worse by Sunday.
Not something we'd normally say,
But I'm cheering on that it's a heavy cold..
At what worst mild FLU....

Just like T2, we aren't super human just because of this virus, we'll all still get cold n flu etc as you know... It's just going to be that nagging doubt, looking over everyone's shoulder from here on in..

Best wishes it's gone by tomorrow.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Noted in above link.

. We do not recommend the use of facemasks as an effective means of preventing the spread of infection. Facemasks play an important role in clinical settings, such as hospitals, but there’s very little evidence of benefit from their use outside of these settings. However if you receive external care you may be asked to wear a mask to minimise the risk to your carer.

With that in mind, and fully aware of the difficulties in getting masks, might the DIY version be a good alternative if we have to self isolate as that little extra protection for our loved ones while we are ill.

Kitchen roll, tissues,
Masking tape and some elastic .. Tested as 80-90 % as effective as a normal mask..

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...inas-face-mask-shortage-inspired-people-learn

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers @Indy51 .
so much to take in there

most interesting point was at the end..22:57
re paracetamol/ibuprofen

explanation makes good sense..mmhh

much to think of.
thank you for posting

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak I agree with the point made about taking paracetamol or ibuprofen to bring down temperatures. I discovered this by accident myself about 25 years ago.

Back then my elder son was always getting chest/ear/throat infections that caused his temp to rise to 103.9F It never ever got to the danger point of over 104F. Both sons were ill and I only had enough Calpol for one as it was a weekend. I chose to give it to the younger one as he rarely had infections and I wasn't sure his body would do the automatic shut off at 103.9. A friend's son used to have his go up to 108F causing febrile convulsions.

For the first time ever my elder son aged 9 (an asthmatic) got over the virus with no infection at all. I read something in a magazine that suggested giving drugs to bring down a temperature was the wrong thing to do and thought that made a lot of sense. My elder son was a keen cross country runner and was on target to receive a medal if he performed well in his last race. 10 days before the race he got ill and his temperature rose. I told him what I had read and said that I felt that he would get over it more quickly if he didn't have Calpol, but if he felt really bad and wanted it, or if his temp rose to 104F then he should have it. He really wanted to run that race so didn't want the Calpol. It was short term pain for long term gain. He was fit and well to run the race and did get his medal.

From then on I have never taken drugs to bring a temperature down, I only take painkillers for muscle pain where I need to keep them moving or they will get worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: MangosteenElbow

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak I agree with the point made about taking paracetamol or ibuprofen to bring down temperatures. I discovered this by accident myself about 25 year ago.

Back then my elder son was always getting chest/ear/throat infections that caused his temp to rise to 103.9F It never ever got to the danger point of over 104F. Both sons were ill and I only had enough Calpol for one as it was a weekend. I chose to give it to the younger one as he rarely had infections and I wasn't sure his body would do the automatic shut off at 103.9. A friend's son used to have his go up to 108F causing febrile convulsions.

For the first time ever my elder son aged 9 (an asthmatic) got over the virus with no infection at all. I read something in a magazine that suggested giving drugs to bring down a temperature was the wrong thing to do and thought that made a lot of sense. My elder son was a keen cross country runner and was on target to receive a medal if he performed well in his last race. 10 days before the race he got ill and his temperature rose. I told him what I had read and said that I felt that he would get over it more quickly if he didn't have Calpol, but if he felt really bad and wanted it, or if his temp rose to 104F then he should have it. He really wanted to run that race so didn't want the Calpol. It was short term pain for long term gain. He was fit and well to run the race and did get his medal.

From then on I have never taken drugs to bring a temperature down, I only take painkillers for muscle pain where I need to keep them moving or they will get worse.

Thank you @zand for sharing..nice to see some personal experience backing up that assumption.
one to note, just in case.
cheers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I read "On The Beach" last month. On reflection, maybe that wasnt a good idea.

Never heard of 'On The Beach' but I am an avid book reader and do have a small pile of books waiting to be read. At the moment, I am reading a paperback my daughter bought for my birthday, Body in the Library - Agatha Christie,
oooh errr :wideyed: