COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is...

Why expect the eldlerly and disabled have to be there at 7am...?

They should have a later time most retired people may have a bit more trouble rising at 5am....

Just a thought....
If it wasn't when the shop opened they would have to clear out the customers already there.
My wife just placed an on-line order in the UK, the first delivery slot was in 10 days time, so I hope they adopt the same idea here.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have no problem waking up around 5:00 am, it's just starting to get light at that time in autumn.,we might take advantage of it most probably.

My age is in my profile...
Thats fine i know some that are past that.

Its a problem...(ive got a 78 year old here)

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Woolworth's partners with Meals on Wheels to support elderly in NSW.

Woolworth's has begun working with Meals on Wheels in New South Wales via their network of volunteers to help deliver toilet paper directly to the elderly in the community.

The support is intended to help vulnerable and elderly shoppers overcome some of the challenges they have been facing in securing essential items like toilet paper, due to recent unprecedented customer demand.
Most probably need it with meals on wheels... :D

https://www.woolworthsgroup.com.au/...tners-with-meals-on-wheels-to-support-elderly

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Brunneria,
I have seen enough interviews to see that there was a significant number of medics who felt we would gain some immunity from the first wave of the virus passing.
Many of us and particularly those 200 scientists thought the approach inadequate and risky, I dont think they know whats going to happen.
It could mutate into a nightmare virus, God I hope not, and mutates into a mild version.

It is funny you mention farming, I live in a farming community that was ravaged by foot and mouth. If you had seen the piles of burning cows and heaps of dead sheep, you would not of thought then, that the government was laid back.
Even so it was not until the army stepped in and Birtwhistle got it under control, the plague stopped.
We need men and women of action, not reeds, changing their approach with the wind.

I have discussed this gained immunity with a medic and I dont think the person involved had the wrong end of the stick. I think she thought it was one objective that may be attained and help in the next wave as others said.

We all, including the experts wonder where we will all go next.
I hope all the maths is wrong and deaths stop in the thousands, but it looks ominous and we need to clobber it early.

regards
D.

lindisfel,

I cannot believe the cognitive dissonance going on over this in the media and even here on the forum.

Herd immunity is something that is fostered, by vaccinations, in order to suppress disease. It is a farming term.
https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/herd-immunity

The 60% immunity the UK govt refers to seems to be something they hope will emerge due to the controlled roll out of anti-COVID-19 measures that they are slowly revealing. They hope to slow and extend the peak to ease pressure on the NHS over the Spring and Summer.
That was clearly explained in the youtube vid I just posted.

Will these measures have the same effect as vaccinations?
No one knows.
We don’t know how long immunity lasts after recovery from COVID-19
Heck, we don’t even know if there will be significant immunity at all.
The evidence isn't there yet.
The UK govt is hoping, guessing and IMHO trying to give the UK population hope that isolation and massive lifestyle change will make a difference. These measures will be rolled out in future, and we are being warned they are coming.

The media have, with typical media sound-bite catchy labels, attached a farming term to a carefully chosen non-farming phrase used by politicians and scientists in press conferences, and because it is sound-bitey and catchy, people are now repeating the media label.

Maybe, after enough people have contracted and recovered from the virus, there will be fewer people incubating it.
Personally, I see that as a good thing. Especially if it means I can pop round to my MIL without risking passing it on to her.
But it won’t be ‘herd immunity’.
That may turn up next year, when the vaccinations roll out.

Reactions: jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding the discussion on herd immunity confusing because there are two definitions historically. The first didn't refer to use of vaccines; the second did...

History[edit]

Measles cases in the United States before and after mass vaccination against measles began.
The term herd immunity was first used in 1923 to refer to an entire population's immunity, in reference to research examining disease mortality in mouse populations with varying degrees of immunity.[74] Herd immunity was first recognized as a naturally occurring phenomenon in the 1930s when A. W. Hedrich published research on the epidemiology of measles in Baltimore and took notice that after many children had become immune to measles, the number of new infections temporarily decreased, including among susceptible children.[8] In spite of this knowledge, efforts to control and eliminate measles were unsuccessful until mass vaccination using the measles vaccine began in the 1960s.[8] Mass vaccination, discussions of disease eradication, and cost–benefit analyses of vaccination subsequently prompted more widespread use of the term herd immunity.[1] In the 1970s, the theorem used to calculated a disease's herd immunity threshold was developed.[1] During the smallpox eradication campaign in the 1960s and 1970s, the practice of ring vaccination, of which herd immunity is integral to, began as a way to immunize every person in a "ring" around an infected individual to prevent outbreaks from spreading.[75]

Since the adoption of mass and ring vaccination, complexities and challenges to herd immunity have arisen.[1][56] Modeling of the spread of infectious disease originally made a number of assumptions, namely that entire populations are susceptible and well-mixed, which do not exist in reality, so more precise equations have been developed.[1] In recent decades, it has been recognized that the dominant strain of a microorganism in circulation may change due to herd immunity, either because of herd immunity acting as an evolutionary pressure or because herd immunity against one strain allowed another already-existing strain to spread.[32][38] Emerging or ongoing vaccine controversies and various reasons for opposing vaccination have reduced or eliminated herd immunity in certain communities, allowing preventable diseases to persist in or return to these communities.[10][11][12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At this point there is no vaccine. And we don't know if there is immunity after getting coronavirus.

So how our government expects herd immunity to happen at this stage is a mystery.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We have our 3rd case (diagnosed) here in Blackpool. The lady has shared her experience on a Facebook page set up for Blackpool residents who want to share info on Covid-19, want to help where they can, support each other etc so I thought I would share for info on this thread, it was made public by the lady herself:

HER WORDS NOT MINE

My Story...Over the past few weeks there have been so many conflicting stories with regards to Coronavirus. I like half the planet wouldn’t have known I’d come into contact with it. I had tried my best to self isolate away from coughs and colds. The golden rule about keeping your hands clean and self isolating is the key no matter how much it disrupts your life. I have asthma and relatively minor lung problems so tried my best to protect myself. A few nights ago from nowhere I stayed with a cough, not just a cough here and there I mean non stop! And no matter which inhaler I used I simply couldn’t breathe. I tried my best to be a trooper but in the end it had to be 999. Let me make a point of saying DO NOT ring that number unless you feel your life is under threat! It revealed I was infected but also that I had double pneumonia which is why I was so poorly. Yes it was scary being blue lighted in an ambulance and staying in resus for hours but after intensive treatment and care to treat the pneumonia (NOT for the Covid 19 because there isn’t one) I was allowed home masked up but into self isolation for 14 days. Mostly my choice because I felt guilty taking up a room and resources I no longer needed when I could see the hospital was filling up and even at this very early stage! I can not specify enough that I had underlying health conditions and that’s the ONLY reason I’d have gone anywhere near a hospital or was tested. The NHS simply can’t test everyone and won’t. Look after each other, take it seriously but use common sense and KEEP WASHING YOUR HANDS! I’m surely going to be going through some box sets in the coming weeks but I’m so glad to be home.

Last edited:

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Debandez glad you're home and I wish you a continued recovery. Am I right that your condition wasn't initiated by the Covid 19 virus and was unconnected? Whichever it sounds very frightening and you've handled it bravely. Has that episode made your daughter a bit more circumspect in her wanderings? I ask because here, in Littleborough at the other end of Lancashire, our internet group is littered with the young reckless. In fact away from the internet we seem to have a cavalier attitude among older folk too. I was told yesterday (a sunny Sunday) that cafe's were full and pubs busy. That's a lot of people out and about because the majority were in supermarkets like a herd (?!) of locusts. By staying home I'm missing all the fun.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We have our 3rd case (diagnosed) here in Blackpool. The lady has shared her experience on a Facebook page set up for Blackpool residents who want to share info on Covid-19, want to help where they can, support each other etc so I thought I would share for info on this thread, it was made public by the lady herself:

My Story...Over the past few weeks there have been so many conflicting stories with regards to Coronavirus. I like half the planet wouldn’t have known I’d come into contact with it. I had tried my best to self isolate away from coughs and colds. The golden rule about keeping your hands clean and self isolating is the key no matter how much it disrupts your life. I have asthma and relatively minor lung problems so tried my best to protect myself. A few nights ago from nowhere I stayed with a cough, not just a cough here and there I mean non stop! And no matter which inhaler I used I simply couldn’t breathe. I tried my best to be a trooper but in the end it had to be 999. Let me make a point of saying DO NOT ring that number unless you feel your life is under threat! It revealed I was infected but also that I had double pneumonia which is why I was so poorly. Yes it was scary being blue lighted in an ambulance and staying in resus for hours but after intensive treatment and care to treat the pneumonia (NOT for the Covid 19 because there isn’t one) I was allowed home masked up but into self isolation for 14 days. Mostly my choice because I felt guilty taking up a room and resources I no longer needed when I could see the hospital was filling up and even at this very early stage! I can not specify enough that I had underlying health conditions and that’s the ONLY reason I’d have gone anywhere near a hospital or was tested. The NHS simply can’t test everyone and won’t. Look after each other, take it seriously but use common sense and KEEP WASHING YOUR HANDS! I’m surely going to be going through some box sets in the coming weeks but I’m so glad to be home.

Good morning, so pleased to read you are home so quickly after being treated for pneumonia, a scary time at the moment.
Stay safe and I wish you a healthy and a speedy recovery.
Take care

lindisfel

Expert
The herd business was mentioned again on R4 this am at 7.25 when an expert was being questioned.
The learned gent didn't give a lot of credit to getting immunity that way, as it had (allegedly) been described.

They need to take measures to stop the virus now, I dont think this tiger looks as though it can be ridden. Can't people see what's happening elsewhere, if we stop it by extreme measures it wont overload the system.
D.

At this point there is no vaccine. And we don't know if there is immunity after getting coronavirus.

So how our government expects herd immunity to happen at this stage is a mystery.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Glad you said it. I was beginning to think I was going mad, since I hadn't seen any government officials talking about this "herd immunity" malarkey that BoJo and Co are now getting lambasted for by everyone and their dog :shifty:

Talking to myself :D

After having done more reading and listening on this topic so that I'm a little more informed, it seems that the 'herd immunity' thing, whilst part of the broader conversation, is not at all government policy, but just an inevitability.

Reactions: Struma

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this interesting
https://www.technologynetworks.com/...velop-immunity-against-the-common-cold-294551
It is dated pre-COVID-19 but it explains why developing immunity to 'the common cold' (which includes the coronavirus) is a tricky thing. Depends on own immune system, exposure, mutation rate of virus and so on.

We do get immunity for a while, but only until the virus mutates far enough that our immune system no longer recognise it, and we know the COVID-19 is already mutating.

My best guess/hope is that individuals will get some level of immunity that will plug the gap between infection and a vaccine being available. However, the speed that cold viruses mutate will make it necessary to constantly re-design the vaccine in a rolling development

I also found this snippet, which states that
From the last week of 2019 through March 1, 2020, more than 500 journal articles related to the virus were published electronically or in print, with numbers steadily increasing week-by-week. Topics included clinical manifestations, treatment regimens, viral structure and mechanisms, antiviral agents, and diagnostics. To date, more than 500 patents have been issued for vaccines and for therapeutic agents, such as antibodies, cytokines and nucleic acids, that could help prevent or treat coronavirus infections.
https://www.technologynetworks.com/...-and-therapeutics-waiting-in-the-wings-332016

A lot of people are putting their best efforts into this. And I for one am VERY grateful

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Debandez glad you're home and I wish you a continued recovery. Am I right that your condition wasn't initiated by the Covid 19 virus and was unconnected? Whichever it sounds very frightening and you've handled it bravely. Has that episode made your daughter a bit more circumspect in her wanderings? I ask because here, in Littleborough at the other end of Lancashire, our internet group is littered with the young reckless. In fact away from the internet we seem to have a cavalier attitude among older folk too. I was told yesterday (a sunny Sunday) that cafe's were full and pubs busy. That's a lot of people out and about because the majority were in supermarkets like a herd (?!) of locusts. By staying home I'm missing all the fun.

Oh sorry I didnt make it clearer (I have now hopefully), it wasnt me. I shared a lady in Blackpools experience.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh sorry I didnt make it clearer (I have now hopefully), it wasnt me. I shared a lady in Blackpools experience.

Glad it wasn't you and glad she's recovering.
I can add reading to the list of things I'm not very good at!