COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not taking about people being willing to help. I am talking about how people can realistically help when so much help will need to be provided by ones who are already caring for children, working etc

Plus the issue of exposure on both sides.

yes,,good point, quite agree.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we are going to have to stay at home then they need to sort out the supply problem. The government should have TOLD supermarkets to ration essentials at the first sign of panic buying. Also online ordering is collapsing under the strain and of course not all old people are on line anyway.
well in the 'We are thinking about the problem and everything is hand..NOT " section of govt management.

WHY was the risk of those getting ill and needing more ventilators then available, not recognised back in early Feb ?

it's not MY job, but me and others were looking at this and asking where it was heading,
many also began making prep, so WHY wasn't the Govt ?

why weren't masks bought up and rationed back in Feb
why weren't hand sanitisers bought up and rationed to chemist only..one customer, ONE N.I. one issue

come the inquest after, none of these are going to come out with any glory

good planning..i don't think so.

TODAY they are talking to manufactures to up their game and make more....TODAY ***

GOD knows how the ruling elite ever get to go on holiday,:rolleyes:

packing at the last minute with no passports visa, injections, suntan lotions..

all things... in THAT given situation foreseeable eventuality and essentials..

yet a pandemic gets " lets just see what it looks like when it arrives, shall we, no sense in panicking. "

we're all DOOMED to be governed by the terminally stupid.

Reactions: Pasha and Bill_St

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak Never mind February... my husband remembers me saying we should prepare in January. Close the borders. Quarantine anyone coming in for 3 weeks not 2. He laughed at me, said it would be too costly. It's going to be more costly now

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I complained at my surgery on Friday as we all were expected to use the touchscreen, and there was no hand sanitizer.

The receptionist booked me in, and handed me the sanitizer she kept under her counter so it doesn’t disappear.

She couldn’t seem to grasp that being able to ask for sanitizer is no good without a sign to say it is available on request. How would people know?

As I sat in the waiting room, in a far corner, several people used the screen and didn’t sanitize in any way.

It’s not good.

It would be easier to provide a hospital type wall sanitiser BEFORE anyone can enter the surgery, not that difficult surely. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So with all the population locked down in their own homes and bored out of their minds with Netflix and You Tube, there will be a baby boom explosion

The resultant children will be known as "Coronials".

Particularly amongst 70 year olds.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
germany

From Monday, Germany will close its land borders with Austria, France and Switzerland to curb the spread of coronavirus, local media report.

The decision has not yet been announced by Germany's government.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No baby making here. I sent hubby out to buy paint for decorating ready for lockdown...no point in letting him get bored ...:);)

Edit: at 62 I don't think pregnancy is very likely....phew.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in a pointer that the people may be making the political decisions Nike announced it will close shut all it's stores
who's next ..?
NIKE
and noted the french seem to have been choosing the english herd model, now abandoned for the Wuhan lock down

FRANCE

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
in a pointer that the people may be making the political decisions Nike announced it will close shut all it's stores
who's next ..?
NIKE
and noted the french seem to have been choosing the english herd model, now abandoned for the Wuhan lock down

FRANCE

i don’t think that France has necessarily changed its approach - more likely they have just moved on to the next step in their plan.

It was perfectly clear from BoJo’s press conference a couple of days ago that closing schools and isolation and lockdowns are on the plan for the UK - just not yet. They want enough cases to develop before that, that it is a controlled wave, not a tsunami. When they see the number of cases hits the ‘required’ level, they will move on to the next step of the plan, and at some point on that plan, they will announce the steps towards lockdown. Isolating the vulnerable is one. Closing schools another. Town lockdowns another.

presumably they have a series of steps, and will tick them off, implementing each as the UK reach the next staging post.

Will it have the desired result? No one knows at this point.

Reactions: HSSS

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i don’t think that France has necessarily changed its approach - more likely they have just moved on to the next step in their plan.

It was perfectly clear from BoJo’s press conference a couple of days ago that closing schools and isolation and lockdowns are on the plan for the UK - just not yet. They want enough cases to develop before that, that it is a controlled wave, not a tsunami. Then presumably they will announce the steps towards lockdown. Isolating the vulnerable is one. Closing schools another. Town lockdowns another.

presumably they have a series of steps, and will tick them off, implementing each as the UK reach the next staging post.

Will it have the desired result? No one knows at this point.
point taken, perhaps they are

the idea was that boris is going to be driven by others making choices rather then
the 'science'..facts on the ground, over the herd approach.

maybe wrong ...we shall see, i guess.

it will all morph into the same thing, in the end.
as we see results by one method or another
dictate the direction for many

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Paying a German company to withhold a vaccine from the German people and other countries too? I do not support this. This is wrong.

No prizes for guessing how Donald Trump became a billionaire then?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article from Dr Muscles.

The One Difference in Survivors of COVID-19

by DocMuscles

I've taken a tremendous interest in the recent deaths caused by the corona-virus infection

. The reason for my interest is high C-reactive protein (CRP) and high interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels in patients with this illness. Recent data,

literally hot off the press, demonstrates that those with the greatest risk of mortality had the highest CRP and IL-6.

I have a large population of metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia

and diabetic

patients in my practice. About 85% of my practice has hyperinsulinemia. They over produce insulin between 2-30 times normal in response to any form of ingested carbohydrate (simple and complex sugars, fruit, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, etc.) High insulin causes elevated CRP and IL-6

Why is this a problem?
Why is this a problem? A very interesting fact was published four days ago in The Lancet. They published a study

looking at 191 patients in two hospital centers in China. The authors found that the highest rates of death occurred in those with current hypertension, diabetes and/or coronary artery disease (heart disease or atherosclerosis of the arteries). This virus traditionally causes a simple common cold. Seeing this data in this particular viral strain dramatically changed my perspective on this virus.

These three maladies (hypertension

, diabetes

& coronary artery disease

) are the three most common medical problems that I seen in my clinic, and they affect 85% of my practice population. All three are caused and driven by hyperinsulinemia

. The higher your insulin response to starches or sugars, the more likely you are to have hypertension, diabetes and heart disease.

Insulin Raises Cytokine Levels
This elevated insulin in response to any starch or sugar, hyperinsulinemia, causes a rise in C-Reactive Protein (CRP) and Interleukin-6 (IL-6). These two cytokines are responsible for mediating the inflammatory response to illness, injury and stress in the body. These two hormones are ALWAYS chronically elevated in patients with hypertension (elevated blood pressure), pre-diabetes, diabetes, coronary heart disease and obesity.

C-Reactive Protein
CRP is a reactive protein produced by the liver in response to inflammation. It is an "acute phase reactant" signaling the body's immune system to respond to stress, inflammation or infection. The presence of insulin directly raises CPR. In my clinical experience, CRP normalizes within about three days of insulin returning to a normal level.

Interleukin-6
IL-6 is a cytokine. It stimulates increased body temperature, regulates fevers and stimulates immune cells to function when infection or inflammation occur. This dual acting hormone is produced by a number of cells, but predominantly by the adipocytes (fat cells), and has a negative feedback on the livers ability to sense the presence of insulin. Elevated insulin levels over time cause increased size of fat cells. This causes abnormally high levels of IL-6 production from the adipocytes and decreases the signal of insulin on the liver - leading to insulin resistance, pre-diabetes and diabetes. Elevation of IL-6 often persists until the fat cells shrink back down to a non-obese size. IL-6 can also stimulate elevated CRP as well.

Risk of Death
Patients with elevated IL-6 and CRP were at much greater risk of mortality when exposed to COVID-19. Those that died, all of them, from this viral infection had IL-6 and CRP levels twice as high as those who recovered from the illness. That is profound.

Temporal changes in laboratory markers from illness onset in patients hospitalized with COVID-19

What does this mean?
What does this mean to you and me? It means that those with elevated IL-6 are more likely to experience a severe complication if exposed to this virus. That means that 85% of my practice is at higher risk of mortality. That's what got my attention. Hopefully, it gets your attention.

What can you and I do?
What can be done about it? Follow a ketogenic lifestyle. A dietary approach that lowers CRP and IL-6 may be the perfect prevention. Over the last 16 years of using ketogenic lifestyles, I have seen this pattern improve thousands of times. The presence of ketones immediately suppresses the production of IL-6 and improves the stimulus for CPR production at the liver. Cutting out carbohydrates lowers insulin back to a normal baseline within 3-7 days for most people. CRP returns to normal within three days of fixing your diet. And, IL-6 begins to decline immediately. In my obese patients, it can take 18-24 months for IL-6 to return back to normal.

Additional Measures
Don't stress. The overly hyped fear mongering produced in the media in the last two weeks raises your stress level. Turn off the T.V. and stop listening to the 24 hour news cycles. Over the next couple of weeks, while the risk of the virus is the highest, the following precautions are also essential:

1. Follow good hand washing practices

2. Limit exposure to those who may be carrying this illness through social distancing
  3. Get good sleep

(six or more hours of restful sleep)
  4. Use a complete pharmaceutical grade vitamin

5. Spend 20-30 minutes outside

6. Do something physical

for 20-30 minutes 5-6 days per week
Above all, enjoy some bacon. Seriously.

If bacon isn't your thing, then have a nice rib eye. Either way, based on the data above, your ketogenic lifestyle is the very best thing you can do to avoid serious infections, including COVID-19.

DocMuscles

|

This is encouraging for those who use the low carb/keto diet for health. That said, I've had the flu twice in 3 years, so I won't be surprised if I get this virus too.

A good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement can be helpful. It at least provides some of all the B-vitamins, C, D3, zinc and selenium. The key is finding a supplement that actually has in the bottle what is listed on the label, and that it's in a form that is absorbable and useable by the body. Studies show that this continues to be a problem.

Might be a good idea to go to a store that specializes in selling nutritional supplements to ask which brands have the best reputation in the industry. Perhaps research it online.

Thanks for posting this Pasha. I don't follow this doctor but I always learn something new when I come across info from him. :)

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So herd immunity which I had not heard of until recently is normally acquired by vaccination, not by exposure to the pathogen :banghead:,
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...experts-fear-epidemic-will-let-rip-through-uk

Our government :bag: has got this so wrong, what a bunch of (expletive deleted) - but I'm an engineer by profession so what do I know. Depressed, think I'll just go and camp on a hillside somewhere miles away from everyone.