What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Disturbing image incoming. Panic buying and I'm all right Jack is not good so at that level I'm on board with the image. Ethnicity of the woman hardly accidental so is the Telegraph not at all subtly making a nasty point which I strongly suspect. Not at all encouraging.
View attachment 39442

I think people were expecting the UK to pull together like during the war (although that wasn't always true), but the generations since have bred the selfishness we now see. I wonder how different it would be if the virus killed randomly regardless of age?

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just called my pension providers regarding a couple of small pots hanging around, nothing big enough to change anything. Anyway, the young Jordie lass asks...

"Can I ask why you want to cancel the policies?"
"Sex, drugs, and rock and roll baby! Well, sex might be iffy at my age and the drugs are NHS issue anyway so I guess it's just rock and roll baby!!"
She then calmly said, "You do know they are cancelling concerts?" :banghead:

Can't even go out in style!!! ;)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think people were expecting the UK to pull together like during the war
The photograph is disingenuous OBB Costco is a wholesale warehouse members pay an annual fee to buy in bulk at any time of the year...there is no doubt some are panic bulk buying from our regular supermarkets but the photo from the Costco warehouse is misleading.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the generations since have bred the selfishness we now see.
I think one can be much more precise than "the generations" - May 3 1979 - but I am well aware of my bias. To be fair, unlike this guy, she at least had basic competence which is a minimum expectation. Other people will have their own dates for the day we all went to hell in a handcart which is as it should be. Your next post was brilliant. Top, top man.

in France: Big supermarkets such as Carrefour and Intermarche have decided this week to open their doors half an hour earlier in the morning and let in only customers over 70 (on showing of their ID cards) during that time, thereby allowing those people potentially more at risk to shop, away from the crowds (and possibly away from younger people elbowing them to get to pasta and toilet paper more quickly!).

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have much to be positive about all over the country volunteer groups are being/have been established...many collecting prescriptions making sure their vulnerable neighbours have what they need @DJC3 is a prime example...lets be positive about the community responses.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
16-03-2020
5.57am FBG 5.1 Don't always manage to sleep once I have woken, but still not quite better. Coughing a bit and very tired.
Went back to bed and slept until alarm at 7.30am FBG 5.3

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. @jjraak read somewhere not sure which thread that Steph is unwell so wishing her all the best for a speedy recovery and all of you well. Let us know how it goes. Take care today everyone, lend a helping sanitised hand where you can. Never more important to stay well, stay safe and carry on.
yes, Just a cold i suppose @PenguinMum , but called 111, told to self isolate..makes sense in the current climate.

as a pointer to one or two of the issues.

the flatmates mum also over during week,
and had tea etc with the girls.
flatmate has elderly granddad, she and her mother tend to his needs.. as carers, lets just say he has issues with them.
now the mum is freaking out whether she can visit him, or should stay away..

it all just seems a roll of the dice, that could, i say could..
have tragic consequences, that will echo if worst comes to worst..
that nagging doubt is was you who passed it on, will haunt many, io fear.

lauren is contemplating getting steph back with us, but hampered by me, sadly.
so for now we are hoping it's just a cold, and counting days to friday and the weekend,
when it could , by most accounts IF, highly likely it's not.. be Covid, turn nasty.
But i do stress we are treating it as overly overly cautious but still just a cold.
Stephs fine, work are fine..so all good.

Done a food run for laurens dad, fit but still elderly, thought wouldn't like that description
he was my valentines date if you remember..:D

anyway, she gets foods, i pick her up in car, she calls him, explains (pre steph) to explain we got food, going to leave it outside, so he only has to come out to get once we leave..Plan A.

anyhow, we went Plan B..much better apparently because plan A was a quaint nickname for certain part of a gentleman anatomy, so he said.

We got there , he was at pavement waiting for us, as i pooped out of car to do the handover, all business and secret spy stuff,
lauren concerned re working all week, meeting many who may have passed on symptoms
i was nominated ...i get out of car, say hi, pop hands up as he goes for the old handshake,
so we bump elbows cool guys style..lol...

THEN he hugs me..:rolleyes:............do i ..:hilarious: or :arghh:..who can tell.

the old F*** em spirit, as per norm..( that's going to be hard to change in many at risk.)

air kisses to Lauren as we get ready to drive away, with his eyes rolling at the drama..:rolleyes:

damned if ya don't...and ridiculed if you do..not sure which is worse.:***:

so yeah, all good, thank you for asking.
has your friend arrived now, do wish her well from me.
you are such a good friend, sure she's knows she's lucky to have you..

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
16-03-2020
5.57am FBG 5.1 Don't always manage to sleep once I have woken, but still not quite better. Coughing a bit and very tired.
Went back to bed and slept until alarm at 7.30am FBG 5.3
Winner for bg levels obviously not the cough and tiredness. Glad you managed to go back to sleep. Hope Mr Slim is being sensible with workload.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak glad to hear Steph is coping and can understand her mum wanting to look after her but we have to stop and think about everything now. I hear the online supermarkets are combusting...tried to add an item to my delivery from Waitrose this morning but their site had crashed. This is the start so we can forget about it in a couple of weeks. Our plan is to work our way through freezer and cupboards and then get No 2 son to do shopping once a week and leave at front door. The only worry is I have to return friend to her home in Kent in a couple of weeks bfore returning her to hospital in Hastings for check up and finally do a CoOp shop before I leave her. One of her good friends wanted to come and visit her here later in the week and Matron PM said NO.
Funny re FIL hope you all go forward ok. Hugs to you and Lauren.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coconut
The photograph is disingenuous OBB Costco is a wholesale warehouse members pay an annual fee to buy in bulk at any time of the year...there is no doubt some are panic bulk buying from our regular supermarkets but the photo from the Costco warehouse is misleading.
You are right - I didn't pick up that it was Costco - so a really misleading photo.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you for pointing that out, I'm not clued in on warehouse purchasing, too me Costco is like Aldi.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea if any of you here are aware of this piece of legislation brought in it would seem quietly in February this year...
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/129/contents/made

I will have a thorough read of this later & pick out I consider to be the most salient points keep calm & don't panic:nurse::nurse::nurse:
I think that was brought in when the idiot repatriated and put in isolation on the Wirral decided he would jump ship. A summary would be wonderful clever girl.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea if any of you here are aware of this piece of legislation brought in it would seem quietly in February this year...
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/129/contents/made

I will have a thorough read of this later & pick out I consider to be the most salient points keep calm & don't panic:nurse::nurse::nurse:
So pleased that you are reading it through as it is quite hard going and I think that you need a legal.mind to understand it.

Reactions: gennepher

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pleased that you are reading it through as it is quite hard going and I think that you need a legal.mind to understand it.
Many of these orders contain powers for implementing discretionary measures (to whichever secretary of state is pertinent) given a particular set of circumstances...so the difficulty is it may not be possible to focus on the exact steps they may take or implement yet as they tend to say 'will implement as needed' will do my best so we are forewarned as & when I've finished my invoices & posted them

Reactions: geefull and jjraak

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that was brought in when the idiot repatriated and put in isolation on the Wirral decided he would jump ship. A summary would be wonderful clever girl.
Not sure I can meet that criteria PM (clever girl) will do my best dib dib dob;)

Reactions: geefull

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/afternoon, everyone. I woke to a very pleasing FBG of 6.6 this morning, after a very real dream. My mother and I were looking up a book by Nathaniel Hawthorne from my father's library. It seemed to be a book of essays but the title was so long we had trouble typing it in Google.
I had to read The Scarlet Letter at school; some years earlier my sister had had to read The House of the Seven Gables, and I remember thinking it was part of the Anne of Green Gables series.
Maybe the dream will inspire me to try reading The House of the Seven Gables. It will make a change from the Wimseys and may help to while away the hours.

So, what have you all been up to while I was wrestling with Nathaniel Hawthorne? :)