1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alien Aspie, Apr 24, 2019.

1. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good afternoon all :)

4.6 today

we did a run to the shops this morning to pick up a couple of things for mum. Never seen the shop shelves so empty. A friend of ours who works part time in one of the local shops says they can't keep up with things and people are buying the weirdest stuff, probably stuff they wouldn't dream of touching with a 10 foot barge pole most of the time :banghead: :hilarious:

On the other hand Lidl had only shelves of empty cartons where the multi packs of crisps and the biscuits used to be ;)

Stay safe and I hope your day is treating you kindly :)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I haven't been brave enough to read it yet, just wanted to say Good Job with your emoji! :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

My first Google of May 3 1979 resulted in one NFL draft of an Ohio State player and one MLB player hitting his 300th home run. Just a reminder how big the world is and how wide the oceans.
    So then I searched May 3 1979 UK and learned who "she" was.

As for Carrefour and Intermarche, what a wonderful thing for them to do, I only hope French elders are morning people unlike so many of my neighbors who consider a 9:45 am shopping trip too early to get on the bus. :) I guess decades of having to get up early to go to work (or fix family breakfasts) left many retirees feeling they deserve a lie-in every morning but Sunday.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning @SaskiaKC that was a strange dream but hey what a great FBG. I have been helping my friend with personal care and encouraging her to start the physio exercises. She had a bad night of pain and all I could do was encourage deep steady breathing with her until it came down a bit. I am no nurse but the first few days after surgery can be very difficult to get the pain relief schedule work. She is being so brave and all going well we know by the end of this week she should be in a better place.
    Mr & Mrs Fuzz had a companionable morning in the sunshine after a romantic breakfast. Bobs decided to sunbathe on the top step which is the Fuzzes feeding station and even has the cheek to drink from their water bowl. Such a minx! Hope your day continues to go well.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@ianpspurs bravo to the French supermarkets. I think its high time ours starting being more proactive in their communities.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  6. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Thank you to you and FIL for making me laugh, I needed that. :D
    I have been wondering whether to try a Namaste thanks to the Hindu lady who bags my groceries sometimes at the store ... now might be a good time to try without giving offense.
    I hope Lauren's cold is just that, a cold. :)
    I trust you actually only popped out of the car ... :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I hope the week will go by quickly for your friend and you ... the end of the week can seem so far away on a Monday. :( I hope they have given her something really effective for the pain. I remember one time when my mother was in the hospital the nurse told me that once the pain has kicked in it can take longer for any pain meds to take effect. :(
    Very gentle (and thankfully virtual) hugs to you both.

I enjoyed reading about Mr and Mrs Fuzz. How sweet! I wonder if they are starting a family?
    I also enjoyed reading about Bobs -- how catlike! ^. .^

I am planning a quiet indoor day, hopefully the clouds will bring rain and I won't feel tempted to go out. I went out for a walk yesterday evening but it was chillier out than I'd expected and I didn't want to get a chill, so I came back in. The pollen might give me sniffles and a scratchy throat anyway and then I'd be terrified! :wideyed:
    But it was nice to see that the trees outside my window turned green overnight, all pale and fuzzy. Spring has definitely sprung!

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would say GO For IT..smile and explain its all new to you, hope you haven't offended.
    makes people more friendly, may even break the ice most days..
    Yet to meet anyone that didn't respond well to anyone trying a greeting or
    use of a persons practices or own language, no matter how mangled..
    ( :bag:..so i'm told, as i try and Lauren looks on in horror).

Am liking the hand over heart, when greeting.
    lots of Arabic customers over the years seem to use it, and seems most friendly.
    might even really suit itself to the American psyche.

the elbow..meh...not so cool and real awkward looking for most.

and the start trek Vulcan?.....can't seem to do that without
    A. looking like a t***
    B. spending far too long looking at and getting my fingers to do it properly..:rolleyes:

But DO
    Live long and prosper
    @Saskia.

love from the Uk x
    stay well
    stay safe.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  9. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Just one more example of people who can afford to pay for a membership getting the lion's share of supplies that other people could use but can't afford the membership fees.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Not sure if this falls within coronavirus greeting guidelines but it made me happy to see ...

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. jjraak

it is simply a paper by a govt department PHE as a briefing for senior NHS officials

it basically says that the current thinking that the epidemic/pandemic will be here until next year at least.

All the rest is out there on the web, so not much new, just the news part of it,
    is the fact the govt seems to be acknowledging

But for those, and i DO get it,who don't want to hear such

Maybe don't read further.

but for others, who like to see where we are heading and make appropriate provision for family etc
    it is a valuable tool.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jjraak

Beautiful...x

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. jjraak

agree.

did see something that sainsuries i think were considering doing this here.
    the main gripe was twirlies, might have to get up early to do it...;)
    (so called because when they get on buses (time restricted free passes) the response is" too early love" )

iceland.stores
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51906744

• Informative Informative x 5
    #21393 jjraak, Mar 16, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  14. jjraak

One for you @SaskiaKC
    Horse related..no crowds at racing
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/51907903

shame it's all so late after allowing cheltenham festival attracting infecting thousands..
    while other sports (football :watching: ffs not known for it public spirited thinking)
    being much more socially responsible :rolleyes:

Aviation in crisis.
    airlines and associated industries at serious risk,
    as Virgin appeal to the government

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51904769

PSA factories close .
    ellesmere port..breaking news
    volkswagen shutting down in germany

am i wrong in thinking jail time would be a nice idea but misplaced.
    Working in a hospital as a cleaner so he can see how scummy the low lifes actions really are.
    might just learn what basic goodness and humanity really means..doubt it, but i can hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51909045

• Informative Informative x 5
    #21394 jjraak, Mar 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  15. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 4
  16. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I love my new emoji. I may be using it a lot in the coming weeks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

"Coronavirus: How to Protect Your Mental Health"

Very helpful article on WHO's recommendations:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51873799

Including this advice:

Limit the news and be careful what you read
    Reading lots of news about coronavirus has led to panic attacks for Nick, a father-of-two from Kent, who lives with anxiety.

"When I'm feeling anxious my thoughts can spiral out of control and I start thinking about catastrophic outcomes," he says. Nick is worried about his parents and other older people he knows.

"Usually when I suffer I can walk away from a situation. This is out of my control," he says.

Having long periods away from news websites and social media has helped him to manage his anxiety. He has also found support helplines, run by mental health charities such as AnxietyUK, useful.

• Limit the amount of time you spend reading or watching things which aren't making you feel better. Perhaps decide on a specific time to check in with the news
    • There is a lot of misinformation swirling around - stay informed by sticking to trusted sources of information such as government and NHS websites

• Like Like x 6
  18. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Saskia the membership fee is just £30 per year & most of the people who shop there do so for the savings it will,bring them those with large families on a budget it's not elitist in any sense of the word.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Okay so I've taken the information direct from the .Gov web site & this is my interpretation...

Interesting to note this provision only applies to England
    The first step the sec. of state must publish a notice stating the transmission of corona virus (novel Wuhan) constitutes a serious & imminent threat to public health on the .gov site to be followed by publishing the same in the London Gazette.

The sec. of state or a registered public health consultant can impose restrictions requiring screening & assessment where you can be detained for that purpose for a period of 48 hours or until the screening has been carried out.

They must have a reasonable belief you are infected or may contaminate others or have left an infected area within 14 days of arriving in England.

Persons may be required to answer questions about their health travel history & contacts produce documents that may assist allow samples to be taken same applies to a child where the responsible adult will be required to give that information & allow those tests

After release from detention they can impose restrictions on your travel contacts & activities they can order you to be isolated if believe/suspect you have the virus or may contaminate others (carriers)

The detention period should be no longer than 14 days however that can be reviewed so could possibly be longer and you could be required to be removed to a suitable place.

They do refer to penalties for non-compliance but those as far as I can see are not detailed in this report I will have to look elsewhere.

I cannot see any specific reference to age or pre-existing conditions to warrant testing/detention.

There are some definitions nothing really specific so you could be detained at home in a hospital or a suitable place S.P is not defined.

Any of these regulations/requirements could change dependent on the sec. of states discretion.

Hope this helps

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook