What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so sorry @gennepher ..went back to sleep.

GOOD lets hope they make a good fist of it.
don't think you CAN be too slow out of the box regards this.
the better responses have been those who went early and tested heavily.
Misinformation and malaise are the killer

Singapore had the best message from govt re this by far for me.

Singapore 243 ..no deaths..quite near china, so much better then expected, i would say

Here is his latest update..calm, measured, believable.
Listen, believe & act or keep calm and carry on?
Sorry Boris...HE gets MY vote, everytime.

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/pm-lee-to-address-nation-on-covid-19-situation-at-8pm
Yes @jjraak I like his calm, measured, coherent approach with easy to understand examples which appear to reach out to every sector of the community.
A much better speech than Boris saying we will lose loved ones before their time.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs bravo to the French supermarkets. I think its high time ours starting being more proactive in their communities.
As @jjraak says Iceland are doing the same here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51906744. which is fine for some areas but would have been no help where we lived before. However, good for Iceland to be the first here. Big shout out to a guy - Lloyds bank Newmarket employee - who had bought 6 packs of paracetamol and gave us 1 as obviously older people than him and 1 to a girl on the deli counter in W.....

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went out this morning looking for tins of meat for a more varied diet than more tins of fish. But alas no tinned meat anywhere. I did find four small tins of white herring, and for a treat I found a few packets of apple crisps and pineapple crisps (air dried fruit), a bit expensive and a bit high in carbs but I thought I would treat myself.

However when I got to the only till open the till lady began coughing. Badly, a hacking cough. I pulled my bandana up over my face and positioned my glasses over the top bit on the bandana. And as I was also wearing a snood, I pulled that up as well. And I held my breath...

She managed to cough over every item, not even attempting to cover her mouth or anything. And then proceeded to cough cough cough into the open till over the change. I pointed to the charity box, her eyes opened because presumably not many say put just under £5 change in the charity box.

I can't afford that but no way was I touching that money, and yes I did have gloves on with latex type gloves underneath.

I realised that at that point the coughing till assistant looked quite ill. Her face was a strange colour. I was trying not to look at her.

My shopping is now in quarentine. I didn't fancy eating those air dried fruit crisps any more.

My clothes all came off when I got back home and put in the washing machine. And the Amazon parcel was due any moment...

It is because of ignorant people coughing with no attempt at any hygiene that I don't want to go out.

Prior to that last experience this morning, I had earlier been to chemist to collect my meds. I had a little wait while they made it up, and strangers/people were chatty, friendly, opening doors and helping each other, with probably more contact than is currently advisable, but there was a good atmosphere with no coughing.

There was no social distancing anywhere this morning. An elderly man approached me in Savers wanting to talk, saying he found all this too much and he couldn't find the items he wanted because they had gone off the shelves, he was quite upset and confused. So, I talked with him. He appeared to live alone.

Then another independent shop where I always get my kitchen roll, the same one has been £1.99. It was now £4. I left the shop without getting any and I won't be back there.

Then when I got back to the car, I was very tired and I was struggling to lift my 4 wheeled walker on to the back seat. Then an elderly gentleman, with more strength than me, patted my arm (I hadn't heard him behind me offering to help), and he just lifted it easily on to the back seat. He patted my arm again and told me to take care. I thanked him.

A strange mixed bag of a morning.

And yes, in case you were wondering, I did just managed to get dressed before the Amazon guy arrived...

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hospital run achievement unlocked. Never had an MRI scan before and it was great, I wanted another go ;)

I was in the tube for 17 mins and fell asleep listening to the pops, clicks, whirs and bangs. The nurse thought it was hilarious, I had a headset on so they could talk to me if needed and she said: "we wondered if the machine was making a new noise then realised you were snoring". It was the best nap ever! :)

No results for two weeks and the only downside was coming back on a bus filled with plague children :eek::wideyed:

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hospital run achievement unlocked. Never had an MRI scan before and it was great, I wanted another go ;)

I was in the tube for 17 mins and fell asleep listening to the pops, clicks, whirs and bangs. The nurse thought it was hilarious, I had a headset on so they could talk to me if needed and she said: "we wondered if the machine was making a new noise then realised you were snoring". It was the best nap ever! :)

No results for two weeks and the only downside was coming back on a bus filled with plague children :eek::wideyed:

I gave you a Win for your experience and you also deserve a long-distance Hug for making me laugh. :) Hopefully none of the plague kiddies sneezed on you.
Didn't Qantas use to spray down its passengers before letting them off its planes in Australia? Maybe bus companies should start doing the same?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then when I got back to the car, I was very tired and I was struggling to lift my 4 wheeled walker on to the back seat. Then an elderly gentleman, with more strength than me, patted my arm (I hadn't heard him behind me offering to help), and he just lifted it easily on to the back seat. He patted my arm again and told me to take care. I thanked him.
Heartwarming finale to your trip - really pleased for you after #coughgate.

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I am starting to wish I had a scarf and gloves to wear for my proposed visit to the grocery store Thursday to pick up prescriptions. I hope the cat food will hold out 'til then.
The KittenCat loves having me here so much. She has been sleeping on me all morning, getting up only to eat. I feel loved and appreciated.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave you a Win for your experience and you also deserve a long-distance Hug for making me laugh. :) Hopefully none of the plague kiddies sneezed on you.
Didn't Qantas use to spray down its passengers before letting them off its planes in Australia? Maybe bus companies should start doing the same?

When I had the farm we had 'dips' during the foot & mouth times, should dip the little virus laden monkeys every 10 mins ;)

I think they were scared though as I had my ninja mask on and my hoodie...

obb2.jpg

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Virtual hugs to all of you who have had trips canceled. I am still hoping to hear from the small-town apartment that my apartment is ready for me to move into. I hate all this worry and not knowing; I just want to get going!!

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I am starting to wish I had a scarf and gloves to wear for my proposed visit to the grocery store Thursday to pick up prescriptions. I hope the cat food will hold out 'til then.
The KittenCat loves having me here so much. She has been sleeping on me all morning, getting up only to eat. I feel loved and appreciated.
She will love you very much with you being around more @SaskiaKC
By the way I am rather tired, and I did say yesterday I would show you how I saved the smile emojis on the Android. Brain is a bit fried at no, and I still haven't done daily painting/picture yet. I will do it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My painting for my daily painting challenge.
I painted it within the SketchClubApp.
A lot of learning to do. Learning to blend, different strokes, lots more.
And realising I can enlarge the painting so it becomes incredibly pixelated so I can paint pixel by pixel to get the detail...
I didn't realise the app could do this much!
Enjoy. It probably took me an hour to do.
DBF1B256-D5A2-4354-B04B-563458286090.jpeg

Reactions: HarryBeau

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have much to be positive about all over the country volunteer groups are being/have been established...many collecting prescriptions making sure their vulnerable neighbours have what they need @DJC3 is a prime example...lets be positive about the community responses.

I so agree about trying to find the positive in any situation. I’ve delivered my little leaflets with my phone no all around the village and left some in the Coop, surgery, post office and church. I had my first phone call in response today, it was an old (92 yrs) lady who didn’t need help as she had nice neighbours but she just wanted to say thank you for the note. We had a lovely chat for about 20 mins, it quite made my day.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My painting for my daily painting challenge.
I painted it within the SketchClubApp.
A lot of learning to do. Learning to blend, different strokes, lots more.
And realising I can enlarge the painting so it becomes incredibly pixelated so I can paint pixel by pixel to get the detail...
I didn't realise the app could do this much!
Enjoy. It probably took me an hour to do.
View attachment 39447

How beautiful. :) I would like to have just jumped in off that little boat with my snorkel mask and flippers exploring.
I would come up with pearls and a lobster for supper, hoist the sail, weigh anchor, and continue on to the tower ...

Actually I couldn't eat a lobster I had caught ... I am too fond of lobsters ...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I so agree about trying to find the positive in any situation. I’ve delivered my little leaflets with my phone no all around the village and left some in the Coop, surgery, post office and church. I had my first phone call in response today, it was an old (92 yrs) lady who didn’t need help as she had nice neighbours but she just wanted to say thank you for the note. We had a lovely chat for about 20 mins, it quite made my day.

And your story made mine. Thank you for posting it. :)