What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not wishing to enter into a back and forth, just to point out the company you're quoting was offered a deal to work out of their Boston site if they share the results with the US first, no idea how much the deal was worth but you've seen the claims. There are more than 25 verified accounts of Trump pushing to obtain world rights and given the sudden departure of its CEO (see below) I would suspect something fishy

"The offer arose from a March 2 meeting at the White House that included the chief executive of the German firm CureVac, Daniel Menichella. President Trump briefly attended the meeting and Vice President Mike Pence, who heads the White House coronavirus task force, was also there.

“We are very confident that we will be able to develop a potent vaccine candidate within a few months,” Mr. Menichella said in a statement on the day of the meeting.

But four days ago, CureVac announced that Mr. Menichella, an American, was leaving the biotechnology company, which he had headed for two years.

The announcement gave no reason for his sudden departure and said one of the firm’s founders, Ingmar Hoerr, would succeed him. It thanked Mr. Menichella for a variety of accomplishments, including “the recent start of our coronavirus vaccine program.”

On Sunday, the company issued a statement in Germany describing its vaccine work. “CureVac refrains from commenting on current media speculations and clearly rejects claims about the sale of the company or its technology,” it said
."

So the guy who headed the research program is offered money to sell and then leaves the company with, I'm guessing here, much of that info in his head. Be interesting to see who he goes to work for next.

I don't like to do back-and-forth either, I'm c*r*a*p at politics and not experienced at watching news updates.

s1001.gif
s0801.gif
s1001.gif
s0826.gif
s1001.gif

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs and virtual high-fives to all of you dealing with other shoppers. @PenguinMum Good for you for telling that woman off.
t4615.gif
m1268.gif

Between all of you, and our Activities Director calling me this morning just to see how I'm doing, I feel encouraged to go out and buy some groceries. I am glad to hear that some people are still getting out and about and living a modified-normal life. The Act. Dir. said she is not calling everyone in the building, just people she was thinking of, and that made me feel good and less isolated. After all, there are about 300 of us living here.

@Krystyna23040 I hope your eye appointment went well.

@HarryBeau hugs to Harry, and to you for letting him stay and not scolding him. And of course to Charlie and Lola for having their adventure time postponed because of Harry!

Can Boris do anything like Trump and Pence are doing, helping small businesses financially to cover financial losses of workers being out sick or having to turn away customers?

@trick60 hugs for the job uncertainties.
t4615.gif
I am so glad you got that call from the Activities Director and that it warmed your heart. I hope folk at your grocery store respect other folk giving them space and not grabbing too much of anything. It would help everywhere if there was sense and sensibility.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw an article online yesterday about the situation in Italy. It is horrible, reminded me things I have read about medieval plagues. I will not quote it here as it's too much of a downer. Some hours after reading it, and still feeling the shock, I was watching TV news last night and they had a "happy upbeat" story about the situation in Italy, showing people on apartment balconies playing music and singing to their neighbors, joining in an exercise class with the instructor out on the terrace, socially distancing themselves but still "happy together." Having read the online article previously I had huge admiration for their being able to still reach out to their neighbors ... but, as with most "news" stories, I wondered which one to believe.

Ireland getting the military in reminds me that I've been wondering if the same thing will be done here. Some "news" sources are talking about martial law (one senator called it "Marshall Law" -- ever heard of spell-check, hmm? :greedy::rolleyes:
It's been one of my fears about this virus all along. States canceling elections, taking away our civil liberties ("all for our protection"), if they get in the military to police shopping, there goes the Constitution out the window. We may all come through this plague with our lives intact, but will we ever get our liberties back?
Yes I too enjoyed the balcony singing. I wonder if it is a habit of Europeans because when we were in Spain last year we stayed in a more residential street than tourist. Every evening at about 6pm we enjoyed the family singing and harmonising on the balcony next door. Reminded me of the Von Trappes.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got a commercial e-mail from a company that makes walk-in bathtubs for seniors.
For some time now they have been advertising a free toilet with every purchase of one of their tubs.
I wonder if they will now start offering free toilet paper to go with their free toilets.

I think all new puppies should come with bonus rolls.

DBC690BC-9883-0F35-76BCCBC775BEF493.jpg

And US supplies must certainly be renewed before schools re-open! :( :rolleyes:

h0ha43e1rysxnfxrowsd5qr7e1xfz37

images

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I too enjoyed the balcony singing. I wonder if it is a habit of Europeans because when we were in Spain last year we stayed in a more residential street than tourist. Every evening at about 6pm we enjoyed the family singing and harmonising on the balcony next door. Reminded me of the Von Trappes.

Hmmm ... the new apartment building has balconies ... !! :)

Reactions: geefull

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No. Neighbours either side are USAF. Very hush hush and definitely need to know only BUT special flights for loo rolls to supply service families in Suffolk. They will camouflage them in my skip. Don't let on I told you.

Mum's the word.
Keep calm and carry toilet rolls.
Or wait 'til the clouds toilet rolls roll by ...

E53A69F6-E2C1-5230-CDF10268406CA4AB.png

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so glad you got that call from the Activities Director and that it warmed your heart. I hope folk at your grocery store respect other folk giving them space and not grabbing too much of anything. It would help everywhere if there was sense and sensibility.

Thank you. ;)
I'm just waiting for it to warm up a little before walking over to the grocery store to see if there is anything left on the shelves.

How are you and Mr PM and your friend and the girlcats doing?

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well what a surreal Muddy Cycle ride, I seemed to have the whole 25 square miles of Cannock Chase to myself, saw two people walking a dog, oddly I knew them, kept a social distance.

Discovered two other people in our Culdisac play musical instruments, so again at social distance we discussed the possibility of having a front garden jam session, we would be at least 20 feet apart, would have to play and sing louder but that's OK. Wish we had balconies like the Italians but I guess our front gardens will suffice.

We have not ventured out to do any shopping today, we need to so as not to start on food in the freezer, fingers crossed for no power cuts, but struggling to find the courage to venture out to possibly see humanity behaving so badly.

Our Labrador Moet can only have s special dry food anything else and all hell is let loose. The company I get it from does have stock and order put in BUT delivery date can't be given as carriers are so busy, usually arrives in two days. :banghead:

Today I have spent a long time on the phone to one of my very sceptical relatives who's suddenly realised how serious all this is, their words "I feel like I'm in a nightmare but instead of waking up out of it I have woken up in it" so true.

I have managed to finish my painting, so here it is A4 watercolour probably 2 hours in total work time, thumbs to remind you of progress. Will be starting the final one in the Slate series on Wednesday.

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

In all the chaos and uncertainty Spring continues to work its wonders, there is hope.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well what a surreal Muddy Cycle ride, I seemed to have the whole 25 square miles of Cannock Chase to myself, saw two people walking a dog, oddly I knew them, kept a social distance.

Discovered two other people in our Culdisac play musical instruments, so again at social distance we discussed the possibility of having a front garden jam session, we would be at least 20 feet apart, would have to play and sing louder but that's OK. Wish we had balconies like the Italians but I guess our front gardens will suffice.

We have not ventured out to do any shopping today, we need to so as not to start on food in the freezer, fingers crossed for no power cuts, but struggling to find the courage to venture out to possibly see humanity behaving so badly.

Our Labrador Moet can only have s special dry food anything else and all hell is let loose. The company I get it from does have stock and order put in BUT delivery date can't be given as carriers are so busy, usually arrives in two days. :banghead:

Today I have spent a long time on the phone to one of my very sceptical relatives who's suddenly realised how serious all this is, their words "I feel like I'm in a nightmare but instead of waking up out of it I have woken up in it" so true.

I have managed to finish my painting, so here it is A4 watercolour probably 2 hours in total work time, thumbs to remind you of progress. Will be starting the final one in the Slate series on Wednesday.

View attachment 39470

View attachment 39471

In all the chaos and uncertainty Spring continues to work its wonders, there is hope.
It really has the feeling of slates @Muddy Cyclist
and the slate windows at the back have a mystical feel....

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Very true, and thank you for the reminder. :)
Thank you for your painting too. I would love to see a place like that in real life.
Your front-garden sing-along sounds wonderful!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very true, and thank you for the reminder. :)
Thank you for your painting too. I would love to see a place like that in real life.
Your front-garden sing-along sounds wonderful!
Thank you, Wales is full of such places. also much Slate In my back garden in Staffordshire, imported from a friendly farmer in Wales.

Garden jam session will be on first day of warmer weather, soon I hope.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PS @Muddy Cyclist last night I watched a TV program about an American-Israeli classical violinist who traveled to Ireland to attempt to learn how to play Irish fiddle music. I really enjoyed learning about someone with a background in Jewish East European folk music working on learning how to play Irish folk music. His take on it and version of it in concert was really interesting.
There was a scene where one of the Irishmen took him to the shrine of the patron saint of smiths, in a churchyard, and talked about people's backgrounds and cultural heritages and music. The church and the shrine and the wall, and all the scenery, had the same sort of look and atmosphere (to my American eyes) as your lovely Welsh slate painting. My own background is 3/4 English-Irish-Scottish-Welsh, but it has been at least 5-7 generations since any of my British-Irish ancestors came to America.

Last edited: