COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
This, from Newsmax. Note how the Europeans are saying we must keep.taking them.
Who to believe? What advice to take?
The Chinese have rendered this important enough to report and study it - three times.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
This, from Newsmax. Note how the Europeans are saying we must keep.taking them.
Who to believe? What advice to take?
The Chinese have rendered this important enough to report and study it - three times.
Taking what Tedrick69 ?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and friend take these types of medications. My initial search turned up this last night.

In this video, pulmonologist Roger Seheult, MD discusses the hypothesis discussed in the Lancet Respir Med article published in the Correspondence section online 3-11-20...

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor - The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)

Also mentioned is an alternative medication. Not sure what my husband is going to do. He'll likely look into it today. He's been on this medication for years.

The doctor's conclusion: It's a hypothesis. Not sufficient evidence. Further study needed.

Reactions: LucySW

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband and friend take these types of medications. My initial search turned up this last night.

In this video, pulmonologist Roger Seheult, MD discusses the hypothesis discussed in the Lancet Respir Med article published in the Correspondence section online 3-11-20...

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor - The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)

Also mentioned is an alternative medication. Not sure what my husband is going to do. He'll likely look into it today. He's been on this medication for years.

The doctor's conclusion: It's a hypothesis. Not sufficient evidence. Further study needed.

Thanks. I think that’s right, BTW. It is a hypothesis. It needs exploring, though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a link from Lancet but the forum won't let me put it up yet in case I'm a spamm
Ok, I'll copy and paste.

Lancet paper. I've tried putting a link in, I've tried copy and paste and the forum won't let me.
I cannot link it. I've sent a message to Diabetes UK on their contact us page imploring them to let me send links.
Lei Fang, George Karakiulakis and Michael Roth are the names on the report.
thank you for this, Tedrick69, and thanks for the further clarification from Brunneria and Bill_St

Carysmith1990

I’m unsure as to whether I should be self-isolating if I don’t have any symptoms. I work in a large shared workshop (I’m a carpenter) and have been told that anyone with pre-existing medical conditions should stop coming in.
Being self-employed I can see that this could go on for a long time and I could just be indoors for months, even without catching the virus.
I can only find advice for diabetics who are displaying symptoms, but what if I’m not?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m unsure as to whether I should be self-isolating if I don’t have any symptoms. I work in a large shared workshop (I’m a carpenter) and have been told that anyone with pre-existing medical conditions should stop coming in.
Being self-employed I can see that this could go on for a long time and I could just be indoors for months, even without catching the virus.
I can only find advice for diabetics who are displaying symptoms, but what if I’m not?
At present the advice for diabetics seems to be work from home IF you can. I can't so I am coming in!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read the article..?
Yes....maybe this and maybe that... Maybe the article is bunkum. Who knows. If I get through this next 2 weeks unscathed then I will remain at home for the foreseeable future...still self isolating from hubby. I am really scared that it's already too late for me.

M

Member496333

An interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing. I certainly don't think it's a common cold as some might suggest, but the wise old man in me has been somewhat cynical about it from the start. I can't help but feel there's an element of hyperbole being driven by the social media machine, click-hungry news outlets, and governments eager to please and escape criticism.

Let's be honest, it wouldn't be the first time that bold governmental policies were put in place off the back of insufficient or tenuous evidence. Obviously this is just a feeling, and it's not my place to downplay anyone else's fears. This article probably won't change anyone's opinion but, in my view, it's certainly a refreshing balance against the zombie apocalypse, doomsday panic that's currently circulating through society.

Last edited by a moderator:

Po girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I still feel there is no clear information for me by the government or on this site ??
I work full time at social services frontline teAm who have to assess vulnerable people in their homes.
Boris said people with underlying conditions under 70 should try and avoid social interaction and travel etc bug what about work if you can’t work from home - what FD poems then and what should I be doing??
I’m 62yrs if age and have had T1 for 46 yrs - quite good control so far.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I get through this next 2 weeks unscathed
the next two weeks are critical. the problem is the health infrastructure can't cope (see Italy) if we can slow/halt infections we can manage health care. so if you can for yourself (and others) not get sick in the next two weeks it will be helpful (transformational)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the next two weeks are critical. the problem is the health infrastructure can't cope (see Italy) if we can slow/halt infections we can manage health care. so if you can for yourself (and others) not get sick in the next two weeks it will be helpful (transformational)
From tomorrow onwards I will be shaking with fear when the phone rings..hoping not to hear that the lady I was with yesterday now has symptoms which would mean she caught the virus from someone on Friday... I don't have words to express how scared I am. It's going to be a long 2 weeks...then a long 10 weeks...at least I hope so because it will mean I am still alive.

All these reports that 'not that many will die' don't mean a thing if you or a loved one is one of them. 200 or 2 million...if you are in that number it's everything that matters taken from you. Devastating. These people who say it won't be that bad are banking on it not happening to them.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an increased temperature is part of the body's defence mechanism should we be reducing fever anyway? I don't know.
Personally I would say No we shouldn't. I remember Dr Rosemary Leonard saying this on TV a few years ago. That fits with what I discovered with my own family 25 years ago.