COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so we are all going to get it and 1% will die.

Let's just get on with it then.....

But healthcare matters

with overload 1% becomes 3% or 5%

so an extra 2% plus die because we haven't managed the cases

so 1% is the "truth" but everything thereafter is political

stay at home don't mix: it won't fix it but it will delay it enough so 1% doesn't become 5%.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter is a client adviser in our local tiny job centre. Today she was sent home and told to stay at home until the end of the pandemic. Her works medical records show she is asthmatic and hence in a vulnerable group. This is the Civil Service. Apparently it isn't a local decision, it is national and loads of staff from other offices in the region have been sent home. In her office there are only 4 staff, 2 of whom have to be there at all times for safety reasons. It is hard enough with 4 of them for lunch breaks and annual leave, never mind 3 of them.

She is ringing them tomorrow to see if there is any work she can do at home, but as she is face to face in her particular job she doubts there is much she can do.

If this is national for all civil servants, there will be chaos.

D

Deleted member 308541

It's business as usual at my bowls club, although one of the major fund raisers (a cent sale) has been deferred to a later date.

Not sure what the club bistro is going to do at present, so the cook might be out of a job though.

I hope they have put a few "NOW WASH YOUR HANDS!" signs in the mens toilet, for those that do not wash them.

89995065_1285549508297674_839262357967339520_n.jpg

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for sharing this bulkbiker. I read half of it, then skipped to the conclusion. It comes across to me as a well credentialed academic having a tantrum. I think it's too early for the arguments he's making. Perhaps more appropriate down the road.

I'll try to read it again tonight when I'm not pressed for time during my lunch break at work.

I have to say, I've listened to expert opinion on this from a variety of experts, and I think it would be a huge mistake to ignore what happened in Italy, or to ignore what I heard on the news this morning, that China is experiencing a second wave of people becoming ill and testing positive for COVID-19. I'm assuming these are people who didn't get it the first time around.

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
It's similar to flu, gets a lot of press.
Can't think of the last time a country shut down over flu... And given the size of China and the risks involved in taking such drastic action to the ruling elite, I think it might be wise to look beyond what the MSM tells us. Good or bad.

Good link here to running total and updates.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I find out we had a case in London before the BBC posted it up... So pretty bang on the money with its stats.
Check out the critical list.
A worry is post recovery, many diseases leave a lasting legacy, if you survive the initial impact.

As for more at risk.. For definite, but that goes for anyone. Whose health is compromised in some way

I'd say @HSSS is spot on re staying as healthy as possible gives us the best chance.. Well managed T1 or T2, I would suggest gives our bodies an easier time, saving on wear and tear so to speak internally .

For my money, most data re T2 IS MORE related to the previous generations JUST accepting the status quo and taking the meds and eating as proscribed...a thing most on here so NOT do.

I'd say we, are a step away from that scenario of the typical T2 in many ways.
(can't Speak for T1, mind.. Others may be way more aware ?)
I agree (optimistically)! I'm away out with dog now before bed to shift some blood glucose and hopefully as well controlled t2d I am correct to assume I am not at any more risk than other people less fit than me. Sadly however the stress of walking in the countryside in dark on wet roads in March is all the hopeful frogs trying to be parents as I can't relocate them all and many are sadly already victims of rubber tyres. Their risk is more immediate and severe than mine... Can hardly call that "on a lighter note" :-(

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
It's business as usual at my bowls club, although one of the major fund raisers (a cent sale) has been deferred to a later date.

Not sure what the club bistro is going to do at present, so the cook might be out of a job though.

I hope they have put a few "NOW WASH YOUR HANDS!" signs in the mens toilet, for those that do not wash them.

89995065_1285549508297674_839262357967339520_n.jpg
Do men actually pass on covid 19 from wee on their hands? I thought it was coughs and sneezes spread diseases mostly!

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
For fever reduction you need an antipyretic!
Me ive todate never taken anything but never know what can happen.

You can take what ever you want for fever reduction.
Im not a doc but what was said makes sence to me (the link i posted).

Funny thing is the UK looks for direction at the US. The US looks at UK and Europe.

Its a secret conspiracy i tell you. :banghead:

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But there are none to be had. I guess makeshift ones would help minimise the spluttering over everything but I still don’t think people in the U.K. are ready to do that the way the Chinese were
oh fully agree...i must be part Chinese/part blue
peter
late to the show myself so none to be had, so i made more then a few for the immediate family for those moments when one of us is maybe infected to wear while sharing space with others.

will it be functional and worth while.....
not sure ..and we will ever know unless the person wearing it, gives all and sundry the virus ?
but as an added bit of protection, real or mental protection..

i WANTS it...real or not.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do men actually pass on covid 19 from wee on their hands? I thought it was coughs and sneezes spread diseases mostly!
Men don't wee on their hands.
I think @"Tipetoo 's remark was referring to men who don't even wash their hands under normal circumstances.

D

Deleted member 308541

I think @Tipetoo 's remark was referring to men who don't even wash their hands under normal circumstances.
You've hit the nail on the head @Mr_Pot, it's part of the potty training you give children when they are old enough to understand the reason why...

Mike Sixx

It's similar to flu, gets a lot of press.

Yes, to healthy young person it "similar to flu" in a sense that it is only 10 times more deadly. Making it have only 0.2% change of death. for healthy person under 40.

BUT, if you have diabetes it is much more deadly. Killing so far 9.2% of infected that have diabetes.
And that is EACH time you get it. Getting it once does not guarantee immunity. There are already people having it second time. Not many times one can beat those odds. Let's say really bad luck and you get it every 4 months

Source for percentage:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, to healthy young person it "similar to flu" in a sense that it is only 10 times more deadly. Making it have only 0.2% change of death. for healthy person under 40.

BUT, if you have diabetes it is much more deadly. Killing so far 9.2% of infected that have diabetes.
And that is EACH time you get it. Getting it once does not guarantee immunity. There are already people having it second time. Not many times one can beat those odds. Let's say really bad luck and you get it every 4 months

Source for percentage:

sorry mike if you read my other thread posts, i was saying that tongue on cheek.
it may not have come across like that ..my bad.

this is MOST definitely NOT "Just FLU" as you rightly point out.

Nice to meet you.
always a pleasure to meet someone on the same page.

Stay well
stay safe

What doesn't kill us...helps us live on, to fight for change in govt attitudes.
T2D survivor.... TICK
Covid survivor ..Pending

Last edited:

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA

Source for percentage:

I thought once you had a virus and survived you wouldbe immune to that strain.... if you got it twice then there is a second strain going about....

Experience in animals is that a vaccine works if you have an older strain...

Eg. The flu vaccine is only good for last years flu it may not work as well on the current strain.

Hope that makes sense....

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be more accurate to say that 9.2% of people that died had diabetes, it was not necessarily the cause of death. No doubt a large percentage of deaths occurred in people with grey hair, because like T2D it is more prevalent in old age, but it is hardly a risk factor.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @"Tipetoo 's remark was referring to men who don't even wash their hands under normal circumstances.
And we know some people don't...thats why it's not a good idea to eat the loose peanuts/snacks provided in pubs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought once you had a virus and survived you wouldbe immune to that strain.... if you got it twice then there is a second strain going about....

Experience in animals is that a vaccine works if you have an older strain...

Eg. The flu vaccine is only good for last years flu it may not work as well on the current strain.

Hope that makes sense....

That is a fairly likely assumption, but since COVID-19 is so new, we simply don't have the evidence to show that immunity is granted - nor do we know for how long that immunity will last (assuming it happens).

There have been cases where people have had the virus, been declared recovered, and then tested positive again.
The scientists simply don't yet know whether this is because they never recovered in the first place, or that they didn't get immunity, or that the tests they ran were false positives, or false negatives.

Too early to make any assumptions, I am afraid.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Glor

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a fairly likely assumption, but since COVID-19 is so new, we simply don't have the evidence to show that immunity is granted - nor do we know for how long that immunity will last (assuming it happens).

There have been cases where people have had the virus, been declared recovered, and then tested positive again.
The scientists simply don't yet know whether this is because they never recovered in the first place, or that they didn't get immunity, or that the tests they ran were false positives, or false negatives.

Too early to make any assumptions, I am afraid.
@Brunneria I read on another thread that you were contacted out of the blue by the asthma nurse to check your management though you havent had particular issues for many years. That made me wonder about checking on how Diabetics are managing. Do you think they are just picking out patients in the “at risk” illnesses who havent been seen for some time and may be under the radar. Maybe they will do similar with Diabetics who they know are struggling or havent seen for a long time. I am surprised they have the time and resources though maybe just emailing/texting advice to those with relevant illnesses could be effective.