What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I thought of you while I was in the grocery store just a little while ago. I thought I'd look down the toilet paper aisle, just in case, and saw a man putting packs on the shelves. I thanked him for doing it, and thought, Well, since I'm here, I'll take one pack. The sign said Limit of 2, but, like you, my natural inclination is to leave one of something for someone else.
About 10-15 minutes later I went back to that aisle thinking I'd get a pack of napkins "just in case" -- and the toilet paper shelves were empty again.

I think the Limit 2 Per Customer is a good idea -- but in a huge grocery store, how do they plan to keep track? A customer could come in on a Tuesday, buy 2 packs; then come back on Wednesday and buy 2 more.
Most of the employees at this store know me, but can they keep track of all their shoppers? And what about the shoppers with cars? They could come to this store, buy 2 of everything, then drive down the street to the next store and buy 2 more ...

I wonder if governments will start issuing ration books to everyone ... ?

I think grocery stores should be issued special licenses to sell liquor, at least behind the counter, and rationed, while supplies of disinfectant wipes and sanitizers are unavailable.

Oh, well, I have plenty of salt and hot water!

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter from Australia texts me to say she thinks Australia is going into shut down...
Have a friend whose daughter is over from Australia but has had to cut her holiday short. She is hoping to leave tomorrow and has been told to just turn up and the airport and take her chances but she is hopeful she will get a cancellation.

People can be nice cant they? Vee had run out of sanitizer and she wanted some for the journey back home. She went to Boots to ask if they had any, and was told to come back the next day at 09:00 when stocks go out. She went the following day and sure enough was able to buy sanitizer, the shop assistant then told her to go to the other Boots further into the town centre and she should be able to get another one, she now has two for her flight back home.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A strange day overall.. this morning, which i have already written about. Then this afternoon. My art group still wanted to meet on Thursday. We are Whatsapp ing. I said no. They said they would not be able to cope if we didnt meet weekly.

I said flat no, it was foolishness. Then suddenly a message from where we have our art group in a cafe, was that the cafe was now shutting indefinitely as from tomorrow, so no art on Thursday. Thank god for that. But i also learnt that the Citizens Advice Bureau are closing now as well, indefinitely. This was attached to the cafe area, so there was a lot of people traffic there.

Like @OldButBold I am really looking forward to this social isolation/distancing phase. Bliss.

However I do need a wee bit more food. An online friend was trying to help me order some food online. I just don’t want to do that. I want to go and get the tins myself, if no more tins available then so be it. Then she texted me to say it would be an april delivery date. I told her to forget it. It may not even happen, or some crisis will happen before that delivery date, so she cancelled the order.

I will go to this Iceland 9 to 11 am thing just for pensioners tomorrow. And see if they have restocked the tins for pensioners. We shall see.

Something strange this afternoon. My amazon parcel was due to arrive within the half hour, so i went out to the front to cut back my ivy hedge at the front, because i probably wont do it again until autumn. I got about a quarter way when the Amazon van came hurtling into the road, followed by another van. Wierd. I checked my phone, my parcels were definitely on one of those two vans.

So van 1 man got out of his van, van 2 man got out of his van, and they proceeded to argue in the road. Should i go in i thought? Anyway, they calmed down. Except van 2 man is still berating van 1 man. By this time even the neighbours came to their windows to watch.

At least i have a pair of secateurs in my hand for protection...

Then they calm down. And open the backs of their vans. They both have like yellow plastic square bags with packages in and various number labels and scan codes on each of the yellow containers. But they are moving packages from one container to another. And from one van to the other...and back again when van 2 man is not happy with his scanning device readings...

So i go back to cutting my ivy, and keeping an eye on them. Van 2 man keeps on ranting at van 1 man. Neighbours are still watching, packages are transferred one by one to different yellow bags. And between the vans. It does look incredibly suspicious. Van 2 man is walking on and all over the packages in the back of van 1 mans van. I am hoping it is not on my packages.

Van 1 man is looking a bit helpless by this time, van 2 man is chucking packages in one yellow bag, then taking them out and chucking them into another yellow bag. I have now finished cutting back my ivy hedge, and i am getting a bit cold and tired.

But i am not going back in the bungalow in case at the end of all their shenanigans, either one of them forgets to give me my packages and drives off. My phone says my packages are in front of me on one of the two vans.

Neighbours are still watching...i am leaning against the wall by this time. Over three quarters of an hour has passed since both vans arrived. I am half expecting someone to call the police because it looks a bit volatile between the two men.

Then finally van2 man glares at me and drives away. So i walk over to van 1 man and say where is my parcel. He doesn’t know. He is going through the two yellow bags he has in the back of his van. About 5 minutes later after looking through all the parcels he eventually finds mine and hands me them and says sorry. He doesn’t even ask me my name or my address....and i had never said it either.

I am blinking exhausted after today. Too tired now.

And i still have my daily painting/drawing to do...

Roll on to the end of tomorrow when i now can enter the natural social isolation/seclusion phase of my life without the inanities of human beings...

I now have a bad tummy ache after all this...

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I thought of you while I was in the grocery store just a little while ago. I thought I'd look down the toilet paper aisle, just in case, and saw a man putting packs on the shelves. I thanked him for doing it, and thought, Well, since I'm here, I'll take one pack. The sign said Limit of 2, but, like you, my natural inclination is to leave one of something for someone else.
About 10-15 minutes later I went back to that aisle thinking I'd get a pack of napkins "just in case" -- and the toilet paper shelves were empty again.

I think the Limit 2 Per Customer is a good idea -- but in a huge grocery store, how do they plan to keep track? A customer could come in on a Tuesday, buy 2 packs; then come back on Wednesday and buy 2 more.
Most of the employees at this store know me, but can they keep track of all their shoppers? And what about the shoppers with cars? They could come to this store, buy 2 of everything, then drive down the street to the next store and buy 2 more ...

I wonder if governments will start issuing ration books to everyone ... ?

I think grocery stores should be issued special licenses to sell liquor, at least behind the counter, and rationed, while supplies of disinfectant wipes and sanitizers are unavailable.

Oh, well, I have plenty of salt and hot water!
I bought salt @SaskiaKC so i would have salt for ... well, whatever you can use salt for....

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a friend whose daughter is over from Australia but has had to cut her holiday short. She is hoping to leave tomorrow and has been told to just turn up and the airport and take her chances but she is hopeful she will get a cancellation.

People can be nice cant they? Vee had run out of sanitizer and she wanted some for the journey back home. She went to Boots to ask if they had any, and was told to come back the next day at 09:00 when stocks go out. She went the following day and sure enough was able to buy sanitizer, the shop assistant then told her to go to the other Boots further into the town centre and she should be able to get another one, she now has two for her flight back home.

Good story. Good for Boots! :)
Hopefully she will get her cancellation but if she gets a flight, it's good that she has that sanitizer to take home. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought salt @SaskiaKC so i would have salt for ... well, whatever you can use salt for....

I used to use it for bathtub and other scrubbing, until I read somewhere that it can corrode pipes ... it was toss-up, do I corrode the pipes or risk corroding my cats' "tubes"?
Cats won of course. Now I tend to use vinegar and baking soda. But recently I have gotten soft and lazy and in an effort to protect my back I just spray on some spray-with-bleach and let it sit 'til I remember to rinse it out. The KittenCat never gets in the tub anyway, and, unlike my old MasCat, never drinks from the toilet.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS @Muddy Cyclist last night I watched a TV program about an American-Israeli classical violinist who traveled to Ireland to attempt to learn how to play Irish fiddle music. I really enjoyed learning about someone with a background in Jewish East European folk music working on learning how to play Irish folk music. His take on it and version of it in concert was really interesting.
There was a scene where one of the Irishmen took him to the shrine of the patron saint of smiths, in a churchyard, and talked about people's backgrounds and cultural heritages and music. The church and the shrine and the wall, and all the scenery, had the same sort of look and atmosphere (to my American eyes) as your lovely Welsh slate painting. My own background is 3/4 English-Irish-Scottish-Welsh, but it has been at least 5-7 generations since any of my British-Irish ancestors came to America.
How I wish I could play Irish FIddle Music better on my violin, I'm Ok doing it on Tenor Banjo and Mandolin but very screechy on fiddle, maybe I should use this enforced time to improve.

Have you ever watched any of the Trans Atlantic Sessions with Ally Bayn fiddle and Jerry Douglas they lock themselves into a Scottish Building and with many world famous musicians create some amazing music, I'm dead envious of their talent. Check it out on You Tube, brilliant.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How I wish I could play Irish FIddle Music better on my violin, I'm Ok doing it on Tenor Banjo and Mandolin but very screechy on fiddle, maybe I should use this enforced time to improve.

Have you ever watched any of the Trans Atlantic Sessions with Ally Bayn fiddle and Jerry Douglas they lock themselves into a Scottish Building and with many world famous musicians create some amazing music, I'm dead envious of their talent. Check it out on You Tube, brilliant.

I will check it out. I have never heard of them before. :) Thank you.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
E-mail just received from my vet:
They are staying open but ask people to call them from our cars when we arrive. They will send a tech out to the car to get our animals and any food, etc., needed.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

5.0 today

my anxiety pushes it up a bit every time :sorry: and I must admit I'm having a bit of an anxiety flare up at the moment, one of the reasons I've not been posting every day.

Looks like we're all going to be home a lot more :angelic:

The charity we help out at has texted to say that anyone in an 'at risk' group should not come in, this means you! We were expecting it, but since they aren't currently closing the depot it feels, irrationally I know, a bit like punishment.

We went to see Mum and took her out for lunch for probably the last time in some time to come because, although we are far flung, so to speak, there are now some cases in the Highlands.

Mum is very pragmatic about this situation and having gone through WW2, rationing etc. I suppose she sees things in a different light.

mr gee brought home a battered ukelele to clean up for potential sale by the charity when we left last week and is considering whether to learn to play it as his 'social isolation' project :D

Hope your day is treating you well :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

5.0 today

my anxiety pushes it up a bit every time :sorry: and I must admit I'm having a bit of an anxiety flare up at the moment, one of the reasons I've not been posting every day.

Looks like we're all going to be home a lot more :angelic:

The charity we help out at has texted to say that anyone in an 'at risk' group should not come in, this means you! We were expecting it, but since they aren't currently closing the depot it feels, irrationally I know, a bit like punishment.

We went to see Mum and took her out for lunch for probably the last time in some time to come because, although we are far flung, so to speak, there are now some cases in the Highlands.

Mum is very pragmatic about this situation and having gone through WW2, rationing etc. I suppose she sees things in a different light.

mr gee brought home a battered ukelele to clean up for potential sale by the charity when we left last week and is considering whether to learn to play it as his 'social isolation' project :D

Hope your day is treating you well :)

Hug for the anxiety. And for the text. That would feel like punishment to me too. :(

Good for your mum for her pragmatism. Both my parents grew up during the Depression and I guess that made them pragmatic as well as thrifty. Just today at the grocery store I was thinking about being older and having some experience of some things and of people like St Paul talking about the value -- and duties -- of older members of communities. They just know things that younger people have no experience of.

One reason I want to move to the apartment in the little town is that it is remote.

I hope Mr Gee will enjoy his ukelele; I wish him success if he decides to learn to play it. They are great fun. Maybe he could come here and post about it? I bet @Muddy Cyclist would enjoy hearing from a new ukelele player as much as I would. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before this day ends ... some words to consider ...

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.

-- Saint Patrick

g2303.gif

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before this day ends ... some words to consider ...

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.

-- Saint Patrick

g2303.gif
Nice words, nicely presented. Havent seen that before.
Really good you timed the toilet roll mission just right at the store.
Enjoy the rest of your day.