Breakdown of Italy’s figures (edited title)

Max68

The hope is that there has been potentially a very large number of people who have had the sniffles, a cold or no symptoms at all thus never being tested. Yep the down side is those inadvertently may infect others, but if those numbers haven't been counted then the death rate will be much lower. Hopefully!!!

Reactions: Marie 2

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
35% had diabetes!!! I am surprised that those with respiratory diseases are not in the top three. Not liking these figures at all.

xenomorph2020

Yeah 35% is high!
You would have thought people with upper respiratory and serious conditions like cancer etc would be higher then diabetes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
35% had diabetes!!! I am surprised that those with respiratory diseases are not in the top three. Not liking these figures at all.
But there is no differentiation with the diabetes as to type or level of control. And I'm guessing by the time that that information becomes available the virus will have run its course (hopefully without taking too many of us with it). Even the oldest and sickest people still have a good chance of survival, it's just that it's a bit like playing Russian roulette......without knowing how many bullets are in the chamber.

All we can do is attempt to keep our sugars level, and self isolate if we feel we're at very high risk.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You would have thought people with upper respiratory and serious conditions like cancer etc would be higher then diabetes.

It could be that there are many more diabetics than those other conditions? (Italy has a very high elderly population, I'm guessing T2 is rampant among the oldest most vulnerable group.)

Remember, the figures don't say that 35% of diabetics will die, just that 35% of deaths are diabetic. That is completely different.

Reactions: jjraak

xenomorph2020

It could be that there are many more diabetics than those other conditions? (Italy has a very high elderly population, I'm guessing T2 is rampant among the oldest most vulnerable group.)

Remember, the figures don't say that 35% of diabetics will die, just that 35% of deaths are diabetic. That is completely different.

true
if the numbers say its elderly people with diabetes and badly controlled then it might be less worrying as it means we can do things to ensure we keep our sugar level in control.
My levels are not perfect. My HB1c level is usually around 8-9.

Reactions: jjraak and SaskiaKC

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are not typical diabetics.

over half of those that have died had at least 3 conditions. Another quarter had at least 2

it is not saying diabetes caused the death. More widespread ill health in general did.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea and porl69

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The sun is setting and the sky is full of clouds but the sun is casting a beautiful rosy light on the grey clouds. I would get up to take a picture of it but my cat is asleep on my lap and when she wakes up the sun will have set ...
To rise again ...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
20200318_194404.jpg

I didn't even have to disturb the KittenCat. :)

Reactions: Rachox and HSSS

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's just that it's a bit like playing Russian roulette......without knowing how many bullets are in the chamber.

The whole point of RR is not knowing which chamber the bullet is..

Treat the gun as fully loaded.? & imagine youself holding the "piece." ;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still find the figures scary. I have several co morbities. I wonder how many of those people would have lived if they hadn't been triaged out of a ventilator in favour of a younger person?

Did you see the tributes to the 88 year old who died in UK? Wow! What a wonderful guy he was and what a full life he was living. Let's not write off all our elderly just because of the number which is their age. Most will be sorely missed.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
According to ICU docs in Northern Italy, very few if any who they 'intubate' survive - no matter what age they are!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

The vast majority had a multitude of comorbities and age. Not so reassuring if that also applies to you I understand, but it’s not a single factor as it is for many and not as bad as face value suggests.

Did you read the report? 35% of cases were diabetic. In my eyes that is pretty bad.....

Thank you for starting this thread, @HSSS . It is very comforting.

Comforting that 35% of the cases were diabetic??

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you read the report? 35% of cases were diabetic. In my eyes that is pretty bad.....
I don't have the figures for Italy but in the USA 26.8% of over 65's have diabetes. It could be that the 35% just happened to have diabetes rather than that is what led to their death. No doubt many of those who died had grey hair or poor eyesight but that didn't put them at more risk of dying.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I don't have the figures for Italy but in the USA 26.8% of over 65's have diabetes.

That is not the point....the point is 35% of the cases had diabetes.....which in my eyes is concerning. The USAs diabetes problem is food related AND their obsession with fast food and their weight problem (Dont shoot me on this please)