Was it Corona

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Around December and January there was a virus going around it was causing a sore throat, fever and a cough. Myself my daughter and two adult granddaughters were in Amsterdam at the time for a week and we all had it while we were there and my son had it at the same time as us although he does not live near us so we had not seen him for a while so he did not get it from us.
My daughters husband and his son who lives with them had it before Christmas so we blamed them for us getting it from them . Although after a week we began to feel better the cough lasted about 4 weeks before it cleared up. Coughs and sore throats are not something I normally get. It is being now being said the virus then may have been the starting of Corona because it had been occurring in China since November but we did not hear about it until it got bad. None of my family or myself who had a virus in December and January have developed the Corona one yet and they have all gone about their normal life going to work etc until this weekend so did we have or not?? if we did we are immune now as doctors say it is very rare to have the same virus again.
.Now four of them will be working from home from next week including my my son who has T1. I am more or less isolating but still taking my dog for a walk every day and just keeping my distance from anyone who is out and no standing for a chat with other dog walkers I know. Feel sad my family will not be able to visit me now for at least 12 weeks.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would make no assumptions. Until they are testing to see whether people have had the virus, we just won't know.

M

Member496333

Practically everyone I know suffered around that time. Some for weeks. Despite being in close contact with many of them, I dodged that bullet, so if it was corona then I'm already immune. And invincible :cool:

My guess is that it probably wasn't.

Reactions: EllieM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not. I think your lungs would have suffered more than merely having a cough that lasted for weeks. Take care.

Reactions: porl69

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah, I got that one, but it was different symptoms than what they are telling us, but it was definitely worse than the man flu!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An interesting post.
As has been pointed out here and elsewhere a lot of people were ill with similar symptoms to covid19. I doubt it was this particular virus but a lot of people did suffer, myself included.
I wonder how many elderly and vulnerable people passed away at this time having taken ill? Whatever the number I suspect it was accepted as being expected and normal in the circumstances.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting post.
As has been pointed out here and elsewhere a lot of people were ill with similar symptoms to covid19. I doubt it was this particular virus but a lot of people did suffer, myself included.
I wonder how many elderly and vulnerable people passed away at this time having taken ill? Whatever the number I suspect it was accepted as being expected and normal in the circumstances.
I wonder how many people with the virus went about their day to day business without a thought for the vulnerable and elderly? I had that virus too and stayed home as much as possible so as not to pass it on to anyone who had just had chemo for example. Let's hope coronavirus helps educate us all in how to behave when we have something that is just a common cold to us but which could be deadly to someone else, not necessarily just the elderly.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Practically everyone I know suffered around that time. Some for weeks. Despite being in close contact with many of them, I dodged that bullet, so if it was corona then I'm already immune. And invincible :cool:

I had something just before Christmas but I don't think it was CV-19. I might never know.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Spoke to my brother for 2 hours on Sunday, he is a reversed pre-diabetic. He told me near Christmas he felt like he was at deaths door with flu like symptoms. Many of his work colleagues were not well at the same time. Could be co-incidence. I think it would be helpful to know the exact time China began to notice symptoms of COVID-19, a month or 2 behind what we understand to be around December could be useful to know.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Don't be so sure immunity isn't a given some people are getting varying levels of immunity and some people have been infected twice according to the GP who was on the BBC Q&A the other day.

M

Member496333

Don't be so sure immunity isn't a given some people are getting varying levels of immunity and some people have been infected twice according to the GP who was on the BBC Q&A the other day.

I actually meant by virtue of the fact that, whatever it was, I didn't contract it despite being surrounded by it. So I must already have been immune. Or something. Oh I dunno...:angelic:

:D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh OK thought you meant immunity to Covid 19 my mistake.:(

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Spoke to my brother for 2 hours on Sunday, he is a reversed pre-diabetic. He told me near Christmas he felt like he was at deaths door with flu like symptoms. Many of his work colleagues were not well at the same time. Could be co-incidence. I think it would be helpful to know the exact time China began to notice symptoms of COVID-19, a month or 2 behind what we understand to be around December could be useful to know.

Whether or not accurate info can be obtained from China is in itself a question. I find it highly unlikely that China will be honest or admit about what, when and how it started. It seems they have tried to hide the outbreak right from the get go.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Whether or not accurate info can be obtained from China is in itself a question. I find it highly unlikely that China will be honest or admit about what, when and how it started. It seems they have tried to hide the outbreak right from the get go.

Where did SARS and bird flu and Corona originate? Therein lies the answer

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
SARS originated in China.
MERS first case reported was in Saudi Arabia

The first recorded history of avian influenza was in the 1870' s and also eventually became known known as Fowl plague and the Newcastle disease. Newcastle disease was first isolated in Java, in 1926, and in 1927, in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England

I know you didn't mention MERS but can only think that was an oversight on your part.

Covid 19 we know did originate in China

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did SARS and bird flu and Corona originate? Therein lies the answer

You seriously think we'll ever know for sure?
Maybe a US lab.. a Russian lab or a Chinese one.. or .... maybe they are completely natural..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I sometimes think mother nature is annoyed with us ruining the planet as has decided we have to go.

Edit to add but she can go take a running jump I have no intention of going just yet.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Places where several different animal species are in close contact in unhygienic situations and under stress are the ideal situations for viruses to pass from species to species and to mutate or acquire features from other viruses. Flu passes between ducks pigs and humans and requires a different jab each year, often against several different strains, newer and older sorts. The covid 19 virus was first seen amongst workers at an animal market.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way we'll ever know for sure is if they manage to develop an antibody test, and test everyone