In praise of all the delivery drivers, pickers, truck drivers, and anyone working to supply us

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And thanks to the Asda driver who risked his job posting on face book.

It seems people are not only stockpiling in the stores but they have been reserving multiple delivery slots by placing multiple orders for single items online thus reserving loads of delivery slots then cancelling the orders at the last moment.

This means drivers are going out with half loads on their vans because of the last minute cancellations.

Edit to add :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Those customers should be given an ASBO

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I thanked the lady on the supermarket checkout for coming into work, she was very pleased. I was rewarded with a big smile from her. Every little helps! (No it wasn’t that supermarket)

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
So many of us with diabetes are going to be relying heavily on these people in the weeks and months to come.

I just wanted to express my gratitude to them all.
And I intend to give every single one of them a heartfelt 'Thank you!' every opportunity I can.

Delivering must be one of the only growth industries in the UK at the moment, and most are on minimum wage and/or zero hours, and they usually work long and hard at antisocial hours. So if you know someone doing one of these jobs, please pass on my sincere gratitude?

Edited to add:
I want to add a special mention for bin men! (For the non-Brits that means refuse collectors)
Our local council are actively recruiting fit, active people able to walk 20,000+ steps a day, and/or able to drive the trucks. They can clearly foresee a time when the only way to keep the service going is with staff they bring on board now.

Know anyone who fits that description and needs work? I expect every local council is in the same boat...

Please remember to wear gloves when you bring your bin in as you need to be aware of the potential contamination. (Please people, no snide remarks about my posting re.gloves.) Both that and this post are important.

I must echo everything Brunneria has said... Please remember them.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I rather wash my hands well then use gloves unless for practical reasons I can't wash my hands quickly enough. The issue with gloves is that few people can remove them in a safe way and unless the gloves are dispose, the risk remains on the gloves and you will touch them when you put them on again.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Please remember to wear gloves when you bring your bin in as you need to be aware of the potential contamination. (Please people, no snide remarks about my posting re.gloves.) Both that and this post are important.

I must echo everything Brunneria has said... Please remember them.

We as asked by our local council cleaned and disinfected the bins handles top and outside before putting the bins out and did wear gloves when bringing them in.

gloves are not that hard to remove quickly and safely disposed of in a container I have set aside for that purpose.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes a big thankyou to all delivery driver's and all the people still working through out the world, I think that covers it or maybe not.

Reactions: Brunneria

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We as asked by our local council cleaned and disinfected the bins handles top and outside before putting the bins out and did wear gloves when bringing them in.

gloves are not that hard to remove quickly and safely disposed of in a container I have set aside for that purpose.
That is perfectly fine John and the correct thing we all should be doing... Better safe than sorry as my dear Father used to say.
Po

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Don't forget you can wash your hands while wearing medical type gloves we used to do that sometimes while treating patients in clinic.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't forget you can wash your hands while wearing medical type gloves we used to do that sometimes while treating patients in clinic.
Indeed.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another person thankful for this thread. For all the horrible stories you read about hoarding an fighting there are so many unsung heroes working hard to make our lives better. I think we learn about the things we take for granted. Hopefully we can learn always to be grateful for all we have and for those people in non glamorous jobs who make our lives better in so many ways.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi John,
Its still possible to get these blue plastic disposable gloves off ebay.
The ones I got I need to use baby powder to put on.
They sell them by the 100 and just last me one use.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Why cant junk mail be a crime under the present conditions. They are exposing postal workers and the public to unnecessary contact with cross contamination.
The post sent should be absolutely necessary.
D.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Huge thanks to all the drivers, loaders and everyone who delivers , stock shelves and work on checkouts.To butchers, millers, cheese makers and farmers and everyone who helps. I've always thanked anyone who helped me and find now that it is really appreciated.
Thanks @Brunneria too

Reactions: Brunneria

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
These drivers are the life line.... we'd be in some serious trouble without em. Really hope they stay as healthy as they can throughout this ordeal. Along with everyone else of course.