What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 and @Ryhia I have also had the munchies for a couple of days. I think it’s something to do with a break in the usual routine. I keep thinking I must make a new routine, this situation isn’t going to be over anytime soon.
@Muddy Cyclist I think you are a harsh judge of yourself. Today’s picture doesn’t have the brightness but it has an ethereal quality which makes it quite magical.
@gennepher I am about to try one last time to post my lettuce picture ( it’s really not worth all this trouble - it’s quite a feeble growth)
IMG_2303.jpg

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 today. I knew it would be high. I had a coffee made with milk for supper. 1st one since dx (maybe 2nd)! Just fancied one. Might be dead next week so what the hell!

Let's get the bad news out of the way.

Hubby's boss still in hospital. We have had no updates. Nobody can visit. Hospital in lockdown.

Our friend is out. Still has a cough but so happy been sent home. He phoned tonight all emotional. Feared the worst. He wasn't on respirator. He had CPAP (THINK THATS WHAT ITS CALLED) EQUIPMENT ON - No sedation though and he said he felt he was being suffocated! No sedation. Kept asking them to take it off. Surrounded by some very sad cases in the covid ward.

One of Eric's customer (of many years, multi millionaire but no airs n graces, lovely man) apparently passed away Thursday on covid ward. Found out just tonight. 15 gone now.

I went shopping this morning while Eric started the painting. Warm day but no sun as promised. Sainsburys (the biggest in europe) was a covid 19 dream shopping experience. By God Sainsburys have it right. Spent 90 mins in there. Got everything I needed. No issues whatsoever with any items on my list.

I left Eric to it. Tidied house, did washing, prepared moussaka and listened to LBC and some Spanish guitar music dreaming I was actually there. Took dinner to Eric's brother. Phoned FIL. facetime from daughter and family. They are getting a bit fed up, and they have a big back garden! My heart, breaks for them.

Just left Eric watching Hunter. He is loving the series. In bed now. About to go on my social media which I said to myself I wouldn't, addiction!!!

Will just look for bits and bats from web to decorate my back. Procurement. I love this role. Unpaid!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Krystyna23040 and @Ryhia I have also had the munchies for a couple of days. I think it’s something to do with a break in the usual routine. I keep thinking I must make a new routine, this situation isn’t going to be over anytime soon.
@Muddy Cyclist I think you are a harsh judge of yourself. Today’s picture doesn’t have the brightness but it has an ethereal quality which makes it quite magical.
@gennepher I am about to try one last time to post my lettuce picture ( it’s really not worth all this trouble - it’s quite a feeble growth) View attachment 40083
You succeeded !!!!
It is not a feeble growth!
It is worth it to get extra lettuce out of it @DJC3

Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished but unhappy with the third Tree and Light watercolour, for some reason it got muddy, a bit like me, I wanted it brighter so will be doing it again. However yesterday I promised I would post it and so here it is. A4 size, time, too long mostly spent trying to get it brighter with lots of bright yellow layered washes, failed....
View attachment 40079

I will be doing this again the green forest background was supposed to be like a previous wood scene shown below, you can see the difference in brightness.
View attachment 40080
These are the first two....

View attachment 40081 View attachment 40082

Frustrating art day:banghead:
I agree with @gennepher and @DJC3 that you are judging yourself too harshly. I agree with @DJC3 that it has an ethereal quality. You are really good at capturing the magic of woodland.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is amax
@gennepher I am about to try one last time to post my lettuce picture ( it’s really not worth all this trouble - it’s quite a feeble growth) View attachment 40083
This is amazing. I never realised that a lettuce would start growing like that.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 today. I knew it would be high. I had a coffee made with milk for supper. 1st one since dx (maybe 2nd)! Just fancied one. Might be dead next week so what the hell!

Hubby's boss still in hospital. We have had no updates. Nobody can visit. Hospital in lockdown.

Our friend is out. Still has a cough but so happy been sent home. He phoned tonight all emotional. Feared the worst. He wasn't on respirator. He had CPAP (THINK THATS WHAT ITS CALLED) EQUIPMENT ON - No sedation though and he said he felt he was being suffocated! No sedation. Kept asking them to take it off. Surrounded by some very sad cases in the covid ward.

One of Eric's customer (of many years, multi millionaire but no airs n graces, lovely man) apparently passed away Thursday on covid ward. Found out just tonight. 15 gone now.

I went shopping this morning while Eric started the painting. Warm day but no sun as promised. Sainsburys (the biggest in europe) was a covid 19 dream shopping experience. By God Sainsburys have it right. Spent 90 mins in there. Got everything I needed. No issues whatsoever with any items on my list.

I left Eric to it. Tidied house, did washing, prepared moussaka and listened to LBC and some Spanish guitar music dreaming I was actually there. Took dinner to Eric's brother. Phoned FIL. facetime from daughter and family. They are getting a bit fed up, and they have a big back garden! My heart, breaks for them.

Just left Eric watching Hunter. He is loving the series. In bed now. About to go on my social media which I said to myself I wouldn't, addiction!!!

Will just look for bits and bats from web to decorate my back. Procurement. I love this role. Unpaid!
Very sad news. So many people are dying or very seriously ill. I think that I probably also had a 'what the hell' day today with the usual suspects - pistachios, Montezuma 100%, almond butter and a little bit more cream than usual.

As @DJC3 said - the break in our usual routine isn't helping.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finished but unhappy with the third Tree and Light watercolour, for some reason it got muddy, a bit like me, I wanted it brighter so will be doing it again. However yesterday I promised I would post it and so here it is. A4 size, time, too long mostly spent trying to get it brighter with lots of bright yellow layered washes, failed....
View attachment 40079

I will be doing this again the green forest background was supposed to be like a previous wood scene shown below, you can see the difference in brightness.
View attachment 40080
These are the first two....

View attachment 40081 View attachment 40082

Frustrating art day:banghead:

It looks to me like a coastal forest in a hurricane. Very atmospheric. Thank you for posting it.

Reactions: jjraak and Debandez

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You did it! :) I wouldn't call that feeble at all. Thank you for trying again. It looks really cool to me.

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I have just been reading some tips for keeping community (feral) cats away. One is to mix coffee grounds with the soil in the garden. Another is to put out trays of vinegar.
The site I saw even suggested asking for coffee grounds from local coffee shops -- if any are open now.
I found the site when I was looking for ideas about cats watching bird videos. The KittenCat is fascinated by them and purrs while she's watching but I wonder if it is fair to her. She sometimes reaches out to pat the birds and looks for them behind the phone.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You succeeded !!!!
It is not a feeble growth!
It is worth it to get extra lettuce out of it @DJC3

Hurrah! Apparently Romaine lettuce gives the best results, This was Little Gem. It’s been fascinating watching it. I hope your salad growing experiments work well. I’ll watch with interest

Reactions: trick60

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher I have just been reading some tips for keeping community (feral) cats away. One is to mix coffee grounds with the soil in the garden. Another is to put out trays of vinegar.
The site I saw even suggested asking for coffee grounds from local coffee shops -- if any are open now.
I found the site when I was looking for ideas about cats watching bird videos. The KittenCat is fascinated by them and purrs while she's watching but I wonder if it is fair to her. She sometimes reaches out to pat the birds and looks for them behind the phone.

Thanks for posting the coffee grounds suggestion. My favourite coffee shop ( now shut obvs) used to have bags of it outside the door for customers to take.
I think I will save my used grounds for the back garden now though. We’ve just dug over the very uncared for veg patch there, and the freshly turned earth is obviously too tempting for the couple of cats which live nearby and it’s become a public convenience. I could manage this on its own by a quick rake in the mornings however we caught Dennis eating it yesterday before we could clear up!! Dogs are SO gross.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The coffee was a small price to pay for all the extra stress and worry. Nice and hot and comforting, I expect it helped.
I need to rein in the red wine and Montezuma’s chocolate consumption, I think we are all finding we need a little comfort in the form of treats.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very sad news. So many people are dying or very seriously ill. I think that I probably also had a 'what the hell' day today with the usual suspects - pistachios, Montezuma 100%, almond butter and a little bit more cream than usual.

As @DJC3 said - the break in our usual routine isn't helping.

Im the same with the ‘What the hell’ attitude, and like you with the Montezuma’s. I’ve eaten a whole 200g Absolute Black Easter Egg in 3 days. Can’t believe I actually opened it now, rather than waiting until Easter, let alone ate it all!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
06-04-2020
6.20am FBG 6.0
I knew it would be high. Like so many others overload of worry has me making some stupid food choices. Last night ate three, THREE! of MrSlims biscuits, just before bed. These are the type that don't normally tempt me because I can taste the baking powder. Of course I didn't enjoy them.
The promised rain failed to materialise. Will need to water veg patch after all. But on the otherhand can cut the grass I didn't get to yesterday. Am so far behind I did my Friday weighing on Sunday. Lol
Have started losing weight again. This is despite the extra calories from wine, chocolate and biscuits. That would be trying to make things last by using less of them. Cream, in particular. Also the sudden unavailability of seeds, both sunflower and pumpkin meant I wasn't able to make nut granola as I usually do. Added extra linseed. But it turned out greasy and unappetizing. So good thing I only experimented with a single batch. Managed to get some pumpkin seeds this week so will make up another batch today. Hope that will help before I disappear altogether.
Edited to add: (ofc the other reason for lacking nut granola was running out of gas.)
Some friends of ours have been upgrading their nursing skills. Both will be working today on Intensive Care Covid-19 wards. It's getting close to home.
Edited again to add: MrSlim might be back at work next week. Sooner than we expected.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hurrah! Apparently Romaine lettuce gives the best results, This was Little Gem. It’s been fascinating watching it. I hope your salad growing experiments work well. I’ll watch with interest
I have two Little Gems
I will try as well @DJC3
Next shopping trip I will see what other lettuces I can find!
I will post my salad experiments (and any other free garden survival food) just on a weekend, either Saturday or Sunday and then you can look particularly of a weekend if you want to find them.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SaskiaKC
Thank you very much for looking.
Unfortunately no coffee shops at the mo. I used to get coffee grounds as fertiliser from them.

Vinegar...I only have half a bottle left. I use it for cleaning. That is on my shopping list now for this week.

Years ago when I had a television, my cats would go round the back of the tv to find the birds...it is just a game. I think you are just keeping her occupied.

Take care

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, 5.3 on the dice, I'll take that after a weekend with my head in the fridge or a wine bottle.
Have a lovely day all, stay safe.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im the same with the ‘What the hell’ attitude, and like you with the Montezuma’s. I’ve eaten a whole 200g Absolute Black Easter Egg in 3 days. Can’t believe I actually opened it now, rather than waiting until Easter, let alone ate it all!

I think quite a few of us are having ‘what the hell’ moments....3 chunky chocolate biscuits were my sin yesterday...

I do have a very tiny chocolate Lindt Easter bunny. One gulp would finish it. That will wait until Easter.