Foods to have before a run?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JamesD17 what type of diabetes do you have? As a T2 I couldn't have what you listed.

Edited to say Jo beat me to it :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since starting weekly parkruns in 2012, I just have a fresh fruit and vegtable juice from the juicer. No problems with energy levels at all. In fact, I'd say I feel more energetic having a liquid feed than anything else.

James
Not surprising, since liquids are supposed to be digested faster than solids.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You can do either something or nothing. Apart from 1 of my pb's in the gym, all were done fasted. None of "us" are Chris Froome (although he went low carb), Arnold Swazenegger etc, so the extremely small percentage (if anything) gain by pre or post workout food or portions is just bro-science.

There is an adjustment phase for training fasted, where energy levels are low, but this goes in time. Some electrolyte drink is good to drink, I would do water with lo salt; some low carbers put some salt on the tongue and down water.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some electrolyte drink is good to drink, I would do water with lo salt; some low carbers put some salt on the tongue and down water.

I have a post exercise electrolyte drink of water with juice of half a lime and some pink Himalayan salt added - and plenty of ice!

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I personally am unable to exercise but my grandson who is not diabetic but on a keto diet will have something on the lines of a sixteen egg omelette some beef steak well say a couple of steaks then take some protein shake to the gym with him when they where open and do a four hour work out on weights he finds he does not need carbs to give him the energy for exercising.

Now he is doing the weight training in his room and eating much the same diet he bought 60 eggs the other day and has used most of them over three days and filled my fridge with beef steak and chicken.

Mind you not the diet you may recommend normally but his hobby is body building.

Does he want a friend? He sounds like the ideal kind of person I’d like to have as a friend! I love training and all the science behind the food for exercise fascinates me too!! Haha x

Marion_C

Hi guys,
Now that I've stopped taking Lucozade (or any sugary drinks for that matter). And cutting my carbs down. What things would be good to eat or drink before going a run and how long before a run should I consume them?

Thank you
Hi there.. I would find Bananas really good before excerise or whole meal bread. Just takes a while to find whats right for you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there.. I would find Bananas really good before excerise or whole meal bread. Just takes a while to find whats right for you.
Those things are high in carbohydrates and would cause a sugar spike... Kind of depends on someone's type and whether they can bolus insulin for it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son regularly runs 4 miles without anything to eat first. The only time he bothers to think about having food first is when he does a marathon.