1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Foods to have before a run?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Dpaterson9, Apr 17, 2020.

1. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@JamesD17 what type of diabetes do you have? As a T2 I couldn't have what you listed.

Edited to say Jo beat me to it :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Not surprising, since liquids are supposed to be digested faster than solids.

3. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You can do either something or nothing. Apart from 1 of my pb's in the gym, all were done fasted. None of "us" are Chris Froome (although he went low carb), Arnold Swazenegger etc, so the extremely small percentage (if anything) gain by pre or post workout food or portions is just bro-science.

There is an adjustment phase for training fasted, where energy levels are low, but this goes in time. Some electrolyte drink is good to drink, I would do water with lo salt; some low carbers put some salt on the tongue and down water.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a post exercise electrolyte drink of water with juice of half a lime and some pink Himalayan salt added - and plenty of ice!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does he want a friend? He sounds like the ideal kind of person I’d like to have as a friend! I love training and all the science behind the food for exercise fascinates me too!! Haha x

6. Marion_C

Marion_C · Newbie

Hi there.. I would find Bananas really good before excerise or whole meal bread. Just takes a while to find whats right for you.

7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Those things are high in carbohydrates and would cause a sugar spike... Kind of depends on someone's type and whether they can bolus insulin for it.

8. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

My son regularly runs 4 miles without anything to eat first. The only time he bothers to think about having food first is when he does a marathon.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook