Scared

Jorge153

Hello my name is Jorge and I am 40 years old. I never thought I would be at this point in my life but here I am. I went to get my stomach checked because I had some problems and the Dr suggested I get some blood work. Yesterday at 9am the nurses calls me with the results an she says you have diabetes! I didn’t know what to say or ask! It floured me! I started to cry uncontrollably after I hung up. Man i am so scared.... I tearing up now just writing this.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello my name is Jorge and I am 40 years old. I never thought I would be at this point in my life but here I am. I went to get my stomach checked because I had some problems and the Dr suggested I get some blood work. Yesterday at 9am the nurses calls me with the results an she says you have diabetes! I didn’t know what to say or ask! It floured me! I started to cry uncontrollably after I hung up. Man i am so scared.... I tearing up now just writing this.
I cried too when I was told I had T2. It was just one more thing I couldn't deal with (from a long list). It's going to be OK. Hopefully more experienced peeps will be along soon, they really helped me, this site is awesome. Read around, especially about low carb eating, it has transformed my life (not exaggerating). hugs and welcome :) although I know you'd rather not have to be here (could really help you feel better long term though).

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're going to be okay. I know it's scary (Or rather, absolutely, insanely terrifying), but you WILL be okay.

Have a read here for the basics on diabetes and diet: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html I was right where you are right now, going in for one thing and discovering another. And I cried my eyes out for months. You are lucky: You got to this place a lot sooner than I did. That means that at your disposal is a lot of information from people who have been where you are, and tackled their diabetes successfully. I've been in the normal range for almost 4 years now, no medication, no insulin... Just by a change in my diet. Didn't have to sign up for some plan or another, don't have extra special groceries, just... Re-learn how to eat, with a metabolic condition in mind.

You can do this. And you are going to feel better soon. Contrary to a lot of other conditions, YOU have a say in T2.

If you have questions, throw them out there. There's always folks around with answers.
Good luck,
Jo

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum and dry those eyes, your going to be fine.

A couple of questions. Do you need to lose weight? Tell us what you eat in a typical day. T2 is a metabolic disorder meaning we cannot process carbs. IF you are T2 and not T1.

Sarah82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing, low carb fixed my stomach issues (gas, IBS, acid reflux).
Mine too. I had awful acid reflux before I changed my diet to low carb and now I don't get it at all. It was quite amazing how it changed it.

Good luck Jorge153, there are lots of helpful people here to help you. It doesn't have to be as bad as it seems to you right now.

Reactions: RosieMaxwell

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Jorge, just wanted to add that I think it is disgusting for a Nurse to phone and tell you that out the blue presumably without any support, although I understand it's all phone consultations now. Did they take the time to explain anything to you? It is upsetting when it arrives that way but YOU found this site and that is a good thing, it took me nearly a year before I became aware of this site. xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Jorge.
If you have plain ordinary type two diabetes, then the problem is, in its entirety, that you can't cope with carbohydrates. Those are the sugar and starches in our modern diet.
If you cut out all the 'healthy' foods which so many of us can't cope with, you'll go back to normal numbers, probably feel a lot better, and then have a few checks once a year. Job done.

Last edited:

Jorge153

That's what I thought ,It really messed me up just hearing out the blue .I couldn't control my emotions for like a hour or so. She didn't let me ask any followed up Q's and just told me that the Dr wanted to see me this week to talk and give me medicine . So i have a appointment this Thursday at 3:30 pm .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I thought ,It really messed me up just hearing out the blue .I couldn't control my emotions for like a hour or so. She didn't let me ask any followed up Q's and just told me that the Dr wanted to see me this week to talk and give me medicine . So i have a appointment this Thursday at 3:30 pm .
Make sure you ask a print out of all your test results, from here on in. ;)

You'll be fine. And you know what? This isn't a diagnosis. It's a sledgehammer, and it hit you in the head and in the heart. You're allowed to feel exactly the way you feel right now. Practically all of us went through the various stages of grief on this, for various amounts of time, so no need to suck it up after an hour, okay? As long as you realise you're not alone in this and there ARE solutions out there. There is HOPE. You're not going to kick the bucket any time soon, and complications are NOT around the corner.

You can do this.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read around the forum and ask questions. Your doctor will probably prescribe metformin. If he offers you anything else ask for 3 months grace to see if diet can improve things.

If you are offered statins, be aware that they can raise blood glucose levels
Personally I wouldn't take them unless they were prescribed by a cardiologist.

He will also tell you there is no need to test your blood glucose at home. Take it from us, it is an essential piece of kit which will be your best friend from here on in. We can help with meters.

It's a lot to take in at the beginning. You will get your head around things remarkably quickly.

We are your safety net.

Reactions: copilost

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for spelling your name wrong - have corrected it now. I tend to type away and only later realize that something isn't quite right.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Diabetes is one of those conditions where you need to take some control. One useful aspect is to have access to your blood test results by accessing your surgeries online system. Do ask the surgery for access and at the level that enables you to see all your results. In the future that will enable you to have a review pre-armed with the right knowledge and questions. In the meantime do keep the carbs down.

Suz2

Don't be afraid. This kind of diagnosis used to be a death sentence. Thanks to physicians and researchers you now live at a time when your diabetes will be only and inconvenience.

It's not easy to manage this disease, but it is definitely easier than it was even five years ago.

I've been diabetic for almost forty years and I'm still kicking! You can do this. It requires a commitment from you, but the rewards are so worth it. I have see my daughter and her children grow up. Forty years ago when I was first diagnosed, that seemed like a pipe dream.

Now I'm looking forward to great grand children.

Be sad, mourn the loss of 'normal', but then get to it and make your life as normal as possible managing your diabtes. I am so sorry this has happened to you. But you live now, and your future is so much brighter!

Reactions: Flora123

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My Nan a type1 from an early age died at the age of 63 over 15 years ago.. just look at the advancements that have been made in the years since she was diagnosed. If she could make it to 63 with very little understanding and pretty much no technology there is good hope for us

There is no reason why nowadays with a little care that a diabetic shouldn’t live as long as anyone else

I actually think in many cases a diabetic is healthier than most other people because they know they need to take that little extra care and get a little more medical attention.

It’s not worth worrying yourself to death about it’s just another of life trials.

And hey having a little cry isn’t a bad thing it shows you care, and nows the time to do something with that ‘care’

Me on the other hand didn’t bat an eyelid when I was told, and still doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I sometimes wish I had feelings and that I could show them.. so it’s good that your not like me :)

Take care, ask questions, learn more about your condition and above all don’t let it get you down too much

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly 2 week ago I was in exact same situation. It's a shock and you go through every emotion.Not helped by Lockdown and so much contradictory advice.The low carb way of eating seemed a little unrealistic at first but I've gone under 50g carb everyday since without any real bother. Feel healthier and more energy and my numbers have dropped. The people above know their stuff and I'd advise taking heed of them You will be fine as you accept things so just persevere.Good luck.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Jorge153

I want to thank EVERYONE for all the kind words and advice. Tomorrow is my appointment with the Dr so I should know exactly whats going with me. Again THANK you so much for the kind words and advice.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember to ask for all your test results. A printout is ideal. You have the right to this and if there’s any bother just say it’s for your records or so you can track progress. If they propose medication make sure you’re happy with what it is, how it works and any side effects possible. Ask about managing it through diet and lifestyle alone if you think that’s something you’d like to try. All medications should support that anyway not be instead of it.

And although the chances are slim might as well ask for a meter and strips whilst learning how to deal with this. A few are willing, but be warned most are not so expect a no. A few realise it is useful for type 2 to assess the impact of meals on their levels. Some think it’s only for insulin dosages and to avoid hypos. You might get told it about saving fingertips or stress. It’s more about lack of knowledge and money.

let us know how you get on....

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hello and welcome,

I cried every day for at least 2 weeks after my diagnosis. But after less than a year I have more of a handle on what I can eat.

First you have found this site which is the most awesome resource for all diabetics.

Second you will need a meter and you willed to test frequently at first. Only by testing can you know what effect different foods have on your body. The doctor will probably not recommend testing often but it is the key to turning your condition around.

Third- this site offers hope- it doesn't have to be a progressive illness- many here have demonstrated that.

Stick around, read around and ask questions. This site has made a huge difference to my life and can make that difference to yours too.

Welcome and know that it will get better.