philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, hope everyone is keeping well.
I keep having hypos, like ALL THE TIME. They started as night time hypos so I've been reducing my basal as this is something I was taught on DAFNE (I know some don't agree with this method but this is all I know).
I have had little success with this and still have night time hypos but also hypos throughout the day.
I started keeping a record of my readings to try and detect any patterns but there are literally no patterns to it which again makes me think it might be my basal. Add to this I have lost weight (intentionally) though not alot as of yet, and have also began exercising more often.
Anybody have any ideas as to where the issue could be? Or how to pinpoint the issue as it could be the weight loss, eating less carbs than I used to, the exercise?
Any help much appreciated, keep safe.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @philly1991

Both exercising and losing weight will affect your glucose levels. It's a good idea to do some basal fasting testing first to double check, but also bear in mind when you have a hypo it starts a pendulum effect on your glucose levels as you treat your hypo and your liver pumps glucose into your system, it will then need to restock supplies so a few hours afterwards you are likely to go low again while this happens.

Also the heat can cause you to run lower too, so it's a possibility the change in temperature will be affecting you too.

How do you monitor your levels and can you run a fraction higher for a few days to avoid going low ?

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj I have a libre for CGM but I've gone back to testing my blood as I've found the libre can be a little inaccurate at times.
I've not done basal fasting tests before so not sure how I do this.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree @philly1991 the libre can be inaccurate, particularly when exercising as your bg levels are moving at a faster rate, the 20 min lag makes it difficult to use for accuracy when exercising, however it's still great for spotting trends and seeing the direction your levels are going in, so still a useful tool.

Basal fasting is recommended as getting the basal set at the right dose is the foundation for your control, so it's vital to make sure it's right before looking at your bolus ratios: https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/ this is a good site to get you going, bear in mind the values are US so divide by 18 to get mmol/l values.

Reactions: philly1991

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree @philly1991 the libre can be inaccurate, particularly when exercising as your bg levels are moving at a faster rate, the 20 min lag makes it difficult to use for accuracy when exercising, however it's still great for spotting trends and seeing the direction your levels are going in, so still a useful tool.

Basal fasting is recommended as getting the basal set at the right dose is the foundation for your control, so it's vital to make sure it's right before looking at your bolus ratios: https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/ this is a good site to get you going, bear in mind the values are US so divide by 18 to get mmol/l values.

Thankyou so much for this, I will give it a shot and see how I get on.

Reactions: Juicyj