Sophee1415

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I’ve always had really good control of my blood sugars and a good Hba1c. But now I’m trying to lose weight I notice my sugars going low overnight or in the morning. I reduced my basal insulin (Trisiba) but am hesitant to reduce it more because of noticing my levels being a bit higher throughout the day. Not insulining properly for my evening meal isn’t an option either as then I see huge spike of course.

I also wanted to know if anyone finds weight loss a struggle with type one diabetes? I previously had an eating disorder but now, a decade later, I’m trying to do it properly and healthily I’m seeing little to no progress, but unsure if that’s insulin related or not? Would love to hear from anyone who has lost weight with type one (I’m not massively overweight just have some fat to lose).

thanks and hope everyone is well in the current times!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've struggled to lose weight too since starting insulin. Have you tried going carb-free for dinner to check your background insulin? I find having restricted calorie days helps me.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You say you are being 'healthy'? Are you having a low-carb diet? I hope you aren't following NHS/PHE diet advice unless it's a low-carb approach

Amart

Hello!

I’ve always had really good control of my blood sugars and a good Hba1c. But now I’m trying to lose weight I notice my sugars going low overnight or in the morning. I reduced my basal insulin (Trisiba) but am hesitant to reduce it more because of noticing my levels being a bit higher throughout the day. Not insulining properly for my evening meal isn’t an option either as then I see huge spike of course.

I also wanted to know if anyone finds weight loss a struggle with type one diabetes? I previously had an eating disorder but now, a decade later, I’m trying to do it properly and healthily I’m seeing little to no progress, but unsure if that’s insulin related or not? Would love to hear from anyone who has lost weight with type one (I’m not massively overweight just have some fat to lose).

Hello!
I've been T1 for 25 years since 1995 and initially struggled to control my weight as it .crept up and peaked Jan 2017, at 107 kgs / 236 lbs / 16 st 8 lbs . I'm 181cms / 5ft 11" tall resulting in BMI 33 obese.
Today lm 77 kgs / 170lbs / 12st 1lbs with BMI 23.7 with HbA1c 6.2% reading Feb 2020. I'm aiming to get down to my target weight at 74 kgs / 163 lbs/ 11st 9lbs BMI 22.8

My weight loss has been achieved by switching to Ketogenic diet, keeping my daily carb intake to <=30g together with eating once a day 18.00-19.00 avoiding Breakfast and Lunch reducing my daily insulin intake.
I would suggest reading the following two books to help you loose the weight you desire. 1) Diabetes Solution - The Complete Guide To Achieving Normal Blood Sugars by Dr Richard K. Bernstein 2) Why We Get Fat and what to do about it. By Gary Taubes. These books may help you to achieve you're goals.

Amart

Hi. You say you are being 'healthy'? Are you having a low-carb diet? I hope you aren't following NHS/PHE diet advice unless it's a low-carb approach

Please clarify PHE ?

Yes lm following low-carb diet at <=30 g per day - as suggested by Dr Berstein which works for me. This is Ketogenic.

I've had no nutrition guidance from the NhS but my doctor says my T1 management is excellent.

I've learned that the more insulin l inject into myself the greater my weight gain, hence me reducing my insulin quantity injections from 80ml to 20-26ml ear day, which has enabled me loose weight, which together with reducing the frequency of eating/meals throughout the day I.e no snacks / no grazing - one early evening meal per day, just like our hunter gatherers, cave dwelling human ancestors. No fast food or pre-cooked meals from supermarkets

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please clarify PHE ?

Yes lm following low-carb diet at <=30 g per day - as suggested by Dr Berstein which works for me. This is Ketogenic.

I've had no nutrition guidance from the NhS but my doctor says my T1 management is excellent.

I've learned that the more insulin l inject into myself the greater my weight gain, hence me reducing my insulin quantity injections from 80ml to 20-26ml ear day, which has enabled me loose weight, which together with reducing the frequency of eating/meals throughout the day I.e no snacks / no grazing - one early evening meal per day, just like our hunter gatherers, cave dwelling human ancestors. No fast food or pre-cooked meals from supermarkets

Hi Amart - In this instance PHE = Public Health England.

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
I've been T1 for 25 years since 1995 and initially struggled to control my weight as it .crept up and peaked Jan 2017, at 107 kgs / 236 lbs / 16 st 8 lbs . I'm 181cms / 5ft 11" tall resulting in BMI 33 obese.
Today lm 77 kgs / 170lbs / 12st 1lbs with BMI 23.7 with HbA1c 6.2% reading Feb 2020. I'm aiming to get down to my target weight at 74 kgs / 163 lbs/ 11st 9lbs BMI 22.8

My weight loss has been achieved by switching to Ketogenic diet, keeping my daily carb intake to <=30g together with eating once a day 18.00-19.00 avoiding Breakfast and Lunch reducing my daily insulin intake.
I would suggest reading the following two books to help you loose the weight you desire. 1) Diabetes Solution - The Complete Guide To Achieving Normal Blood Sugars by Dr Richard K. Bernstein 2) Why We Get Fat and what to do about it. By Gary Taubes. These books may help you to achieve you're goals.

Hi did I read this right? You eat once a day? I’m newly diagnosed LADA and put on more than 2 stone since January when I was BMI 18 (drastic weight loss), but I’m struggling and lockdown hadn’t helped. I seriously need to address this .

Moonbug

I wouldn't survive on 30g of carbs a day and one meal? Sounds very unhealthy to me. Bodybuilders take insulin to bulk up so reducing insulin and therefore carbs is the way to go but not to any extremes. Plus, if your BS is high, but not too high, exercise before resorting to taking more insulin.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much insulin do you use? If insulin sensitivity is an issue, exercise will help. The amount of insulin required for stable glucose declines, making weight loss easier.

Reactions: EllieM

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I'm not a T1, nor an insulin user, however I too lived with an eating disorder for a few years, many moons ago.

I can empathise, in terms of nervousness at changing things, for control - whether weight, medication, or something else.

A couple of things I found helpful were food and blood glucose diaries; not so that I could obsess, but so that I could look back to find clues to what was going on - where my bloods weren't where I wanted them, to tracking my weightloss.

Controversially, I weighed every day, because weight loss is not linear. On any given day my weight can still vary by iver 1kg, so in a circumstance I am trying to lose or gain weight, weighing once a week (or whatever) doesn't tell the whole story.

Those variations in weight are based on what I've eaten the day before (more carbs tend to see a bit of fluid retention, giving weight gain, or if I've had a not very hungry day, I'll appear to lose, but it likely isn't a sustained loss, when I revert to my usual hunger levels.

Whilst there are some broad brush strokes about living with diabetes, of any sort, one things that is utterly patently clear to me is one approach doesn't suit all.

Best of luck with it all.

MarkHaZ123

Iv seen people say they can differ during the day as they are on trisiba.
Is it not worth while finding out if going onto something like levemire might be better? With it been twice a day I think you have more flexibility with when you have your rapid insulin

Iv got the opposite problem at the moment. Since starting insulin back in October Iv lost over a stone. I was around 12st 10 but now down to 11 9 and still losing constantly, 3 lbs in the last 2 weeks

I eat rubbish half the time but have a heavy job and cycle alot

I'm not sure if my way of thinking is any good but just for me injecting twice a day seems like you have more play with things