zacho44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi everyone, so a bit of a back story,

Switched from lantus to tresiba a few months ago (6 units every morning) and love it along with a a lowish carb diet i dont take much fast acting at all and have smooth readings usually. Havnt had a low in months

This morning i went to take my Tresiba at 7:30am like every morning and went on with my day, i was 10mmol at 8:am and by 8:30am i was 4.5 and plummeting on my dexcom. I did notice blood on the needle tip and after some research regarding lantus lows im assuming ive hit a vein/vessel. Although i thought this was "considered" impossible with tresiba insulin.

Some things ive taken out after calling my endo and he informed me it defiantly was not my tresiba...
- I havnt eaten yet or exercised in any way, it was just another morning.
-I did not mix tresiba up with my novorapid as i make sure i dont even keep them in the same room.
-I did not take a bigger dose or change anything at all along the lines of insulin

It was the same exact morning as mostly every morning ive had and im very confused.

Does anyone have any insight, explanation, or experience it would defiantly help as im super confused!!

Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome @zacho44

Before making any judgement calls on your background insulin you need to see a consistent pattern, a one off event wouldn’t justify action but consistent patterns would so sit tight and see how this goes for the next few days.

Am inclined to agree with your endo as Tresiba is a really stable background.

Hypos occurs for many reasons such as exercise, heat, stress, but one off events don’t justify action, a series of events would however.

zacho44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi and welcome @zacho44

Before making any judgement calls on your background insulin you need to see a consistent pattern, a one off event wouldn’t justify action but consistent patterns would so sit tight and see how this goes for the next few days.

Am inclined to agree with your endo as Tresiba is a really stable background.

Hypos occurs for many reasons such as exercise, heat, stress, but one off events don’t justify action, a series of events would however.
Thanks for your reply, Ive been doing the same thing every morning/eating the same thing/taking the same dose, im suspecting its a blood vessel im just confused because i thought that could only happen with lantus!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for your reply, Ive been doing the same thing every morning/eating the same thing/taking the same dose, im suspecting its a blood vessel im just confused because i thought that could only happen with lantus!

It would be very unlucky to be hitting the same spot consecutively - it’s rare to get a vessel think I only had 2 in my 6 years of injecting, have you tried basal testing to check your background dose yet ?

zacho44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve had one with lantus before and I think this was one just with tresiba, and yes my basal works perfect for my lifestyle!