1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"Tresiba low" ??

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by zacho44, Jun 11, 2020.

1. zacho44

zacho44 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi everyone, so a bit of a back story,

Switched from lantus to tresiba a few months ago (6 units every morning) and love it along with a a lowish carb diet i dont take much fast acting at all and have smooth readings usually. Havnt had a low in months

This morning i went to take my Tresiba at 7:30am like every morning and went on with my day, i was 10mmol at 8:am and by 8:30am i was 4.5 and plummeting on my dexcom. I did notice blood on the needle tip and after some research regarding lantus lows im assuming ive hit a vein/vessel. Although i thought this was "considered" impossible with tresiba insulin.

Some things ive taken out after calling my endo and he informed me it defiantly was not my tresiba...
    - I havnt eaten yet or exercised in any way, it was just another morning.
    -I did not mix tresiba up with my novorapid as i make sure i dont even keep them in the same room.
    -I did not take a bigger dose or change anything at all along the lines of insulin

It was the same exact morning as mostly every morning ive had and im very confused.

Does anyone have any insight, explanation, or experience it would defiantly help as im super confused!!

Thanks

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome @zacho44

Before making any judgement calls on your background insulin you need to see a consistent pattern, a one off event wouldn’t justify action but consistent patterns would so sit tight and see how this goes for the next few days.

Am inclined to agree with your endo as Tresiba is a really stable background.

Hypos occurs for many reasons such as exercise, heat, stress, but one off events don’t justify action, a series of events would however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zacho44

zacho44 Type 1 · Newbie

Thanks for your reply, Ive been doing the same thing every morning/eating the same thing/taking the same dose, im suspecting its a blood vessel im just confused because i thought that could only happen with lantus!

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It would be very unlucky to be hitting the same spot consecutively - it’s rare to get a vessel think I only had 2 in my 6 years of injecting, have you tried basal testing to check your background dose yet ?

5. zacho44

zacho44 Type 1 · Newbie

I’ve had one with lantus before and I think this was one just with tresiba, and yes my basal works perfect for my lifestyle!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook