Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Last few minutes of good ‘morning’ left, so Good Morning all. And my, it’s a hot one, so most of today will probably be in the cool, indoors. I went early to the local shop/pharmacy to pick up meds, just two of us in there apart from the staff, and It was lovely to catch up with the one who was in the same class as younger daughter in primary school. Her own daughter’s doing GCSEs next year - blimey, time’s galloped.
FFP3 and sunglasses on at all times, but the only other mask where was someone my age. We exchanged conspiratorial eye smiles.
Have a decent no more hypo day @hh1 and @becca59! You must live not that far from where I was when diagnosed @hh1, we could just about cycle to Glastonbury if we took lunch (or got fish and chips) and spent the whole day going there and back. That was a little before the Festival was engendered. Lots of withy weavers back then. I was very sad when the family home wasn’t there any more.
Stay cool folks.

Reactions: kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have done the essential additional clothes shop to get me through the current jeans not fitting crisis (and I've not worn them out sufficiently - so I've motivation to fit back in them again) and it was even a pleasant experience! And I hate clothes shopping at the very best of times. But today.... uncrowded shops, better spacing of clothes racks, so I could walk around without touching anything accidentally. Not allowed to try anything on, but I made only one mis-guess, which I can live with at only £10.00 for two pairs of cheap leggings. Anyway, they will also be motivational as they will do for gym clothes for the next academic year if I'm with a group who have gym on their timetable.

Now wilting in the coolest spot in the house with some new to me books which arrived a few days ago and which are now out of quarantine!

Reactions: kev-w and Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm not working out of the house I have a friend's two doga whilst she works every Thursday. They, plus mine, are all currently sprawled on the stone tiles in the kitchen/dining room. They have two paddling pools outside, and there's shade from umbrellas and trees, but all of them prefer the temperature of my old stone cottage. I curse it in the winter as it's hard to heat, but in weather like this, I shut the windows and doors and bingo - cool! I'm insude with them; there's a slight breeze outside but it's still cooler in here than in the shade outside. There are warnings down here abou high UV levels as we're close to the solstice and because, so Radio 4 told me this morning, because there's none of the usual pollution to help screen it out! They particularly mentioned con trails. Makes you wonder what that reduction in UV normally does to other living things. I've loved seeing clear skies for the first time in my life.

Reactions: kev-w and Marie 2

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, having reduced basal I still got back from an early walk hypoing as I came in the house. I'm really bored with this; this week has been one after another and I'm pretty sure it's all due to the heat. Feel as if I'm fire-fighting all the time. Apologies to those of you who love the heat, as I'll be delighted to see temperatures go down dramatically, hopefully from tomorrow.

Apart from that all's well and peaceful here which makes a change at this time of year as I'm not far from Pilton. No need to plan for no journeys out in the run-up and departure, or wonder which way the wind will be blowing (as that definitely affects how much of Glasto I can hear!)

Hope you all have a peaceful, or at least enjoyable, day, and stay cool.....
I normally get caught on the A39 at Ashcott as I try to cross it to get home over the levels. Working from home at the moment so haven’t missed my daily 1hour each way commute to Yeovil

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm not working out of the house I have a friend's two doga whilst she works every Thursday. They, plus mine, are all currently sprawled on the stone tiles in the kitchen/dining room. They have two paddling pools outside, and there's shade from umbrellas and trees, but all of them prefer the temperature of my old stone cottage. I curse it in the winter as it's hard to heat, but in weather like this, I shut the windows and doors and bingo - cool! I'm insude with them; there's a slight breeze outside but it's still cooler in here than in the shade outside. There are warnings down here abou high UV levels as we're close to the solstice and because, so Radio 4 told me this morning, because there's none of the usual pollution to help screen it out! They particularly mentioned con trails. Makes you wonder what that reduction in UV normally does to other living things. I've loved seeing clear skies for the first time in my life.
We’ve just been up in the loft of our bungalow - it’s like a sauna up there:eek::eek:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Still hot here, so like most of you we’ve stayed indoors, or in the shade.
The only near casualty has been the frio pouch I allowed to soak too long: it now looks like a well stuffed bolster.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon :) tea break, ceiling problems caused by poor prep requiring another coat of sandpaper and I'm not feeling the love :p my bloods are suspiciously steady away around 7 so I'm keeping my eye on them ready for the crash, and drinking plenty of tea in the process, I've a lump of bread dough proving in the warmth as I'm learning to cook naan breads, or am attempting to :p

Stay hydrated :)

Edit, and when I've finished the second coat of sandpaper and cleaning I've to hope the temperature drops under 25'c as the paint tin says not to use above :/

Reactions: Japes and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Afternoon :) tea break, ceiling problems caused by poor prep requiring another coat of sandpaper and I'm not feeling the love :p my bloods are suspiciously steady away around 7 so I'm keeping my eye on them ready for the crash, and drinking plenty of tea in the process, I've a lump of bread dough proving in the warmth as I'm learning to cook naan breads, or am attempting to :p

Stay hydrated :)

Edit, and when I've finished the second coat of sandpaper and cleaning I've to hope the temperature drops under 25'c as the paint tin says not to use above :/
Wow, homemade naan (pred text wanted to make it ma’am, what the heck?!), is there no end to your talents? Impressed, but please don’t spontaneously combust with the ceiling paint, it’d be a waste of naan.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, homemade naan (pred text wanted to make it ma’am, what the heck?!), is there no end to your talents? Impressed, but please don’t spontaneously combust with the ceiling paint, it’d be a waste of naan.
Ah, my interpretation of Indian breads would be frowned on by their creators as I don't have much of a clue :p but, tonights bread is served with an Italian chicken now so did get some olive oil hoyed into the dough and has produced a reasonably risen Italian Indian flat bread if there's such a thing :)

Edit, in wholemeal ;)

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1569947193943.jpg

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all - sorry not been on for a few days so catching up. My sincere condolences @ElenaP, I hope you are remembering to look after yourself at this awful time x

My BG has been all over the place with this hot weather, dropping like a stone and then soaring through the roof when my insulin died thanks to the heat. Can’t really keep it cool when it’s in a pump next to my body. Also I forgot how grim breastfeeding is in hot weather - I’m hot, she’s hot, we’re just one sticky mess. Roll on the thunderstorms please! I will be out in the garden shouting “YAASSS!” at the sky when this breaks.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, more heat on the way today.
Yesterday I forgot morning basal and it didn't dawn on me til mid afternoon when BG was sky rocketing. OK this morning 4.4
The carrot cake was a success

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning :) and I can't wait to get up on my hop up and get back on with the ceiling in a while (that's untrue :p) as it's fun sanding ceilings in the heat (that's a lie also) and I'm not sulking in any shape or form that I'm not now painting freshly papered walls (yup, another porky :p) but apart from that I'm fine :)

4.3 waking and am at 6.9 now 2 hours later with my breakfast bolus starting to kick in ready for the standard porridge egg and bread, fingers crossed for some rain so I won't have to mow the lawns.

It doesn't feel like how Fridays used to feel but whether that's from the lock down or hermitting whilst renovating I dont know :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woken at 6 (on a 6.3) by a lovely thunderstorm, I didn’t know in a half sleepy state whether to be jubilant or whether to be cross as I was still tired.
Drew the curtains, opened the windows wide, brewed tea and enjoyed the rain, the thunder and the lightening, the fresher air: wonderful! It’s already beginning to get warmer though. Yesterday was super-hot, but not as hot as that place in Siberia where they’ve had 38C.
Anyone else on Levemir find it gets progressively less potent as it ages, even in a frio? I changed the cartridge yesterday and I’m really loving the smoother bs ride of fresh insulin.
I think I saw that frio do pouches for pump users @ArtemisBow, but I’m not sure if they’ve an on omnipod one. Worth a look? I really hope you have cooler weather in your neck of the woods today.

Last edited:

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Fairygodmother, perhaps I can just strap a bag of frozen peas to my stomach!

I haven’t got my new omnipod on yet because my DSN is on holiday, so I’m still wearing the insight. But I’ve set up the PDM and I’m tempted to just give it a go this weekend by myself... I’ll have to do it myself anyway, I just don’t want her to get in trouble if I muck it up!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Woken at 6 (on a 6.3) by a lovely thunderstorm, I didn’t know in a half sleepy state whether to be jubilant or whether to be cross as I was still tired.
Drew the curtains, opened the windows wide, brewed tea and enjoyed the rain, the thunder and the lightening, the fresher air: wonderful! It’s already beginning to get warmer though. Yesterday was super-hot, but not as hot as that place in Siberia where they’ve had 38C.
Anyone else on Levemir find it gets progressively less potent as it ages, even in a frio? I changed the cartridge yesterday and I’m really loving the smoother bs ride of fresh insulin.
I think I saw that frio do pouches for pump users @ArtemisBow, but I’m not sure if they’ve an on omnipod one. Worth a look? I really hope you have cooler weather in your neck of the woods today.
My Levemir seems to be as slow as Novorapid @Fairygodmother. Does this mean I should change to a different basal? I thought it wasn't working at all last week and put in a new lot. Still very slow to make any impact.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My Levemir seems to be as slow as Novorapid @Fairygodmother. Does this mean I should change to a different basal? I thought it wasn't working at all last week and put in a new lot. Still very slow to make any impact.
I really don’t know about changes to a different basal Sue, it’s something to ask your DSN. I’ll certainly be discussing my need to keep adjusting as the Levemir ages next time I have a phone appointment with the nice Consultant.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@ArtemisBow I set all my settings before the trainer came over. The Omnipod system came with a great set up guide. The trainer came with a list from the doctor for settings and I kept mine because I liked them better. It was nice however to have someone show me how to fill the pod, don't crimp the adhesive when holding the pod etc just to know I was doing it right. I think the other thing that was useful is just having someone to go over the settings to make sure I hadn't set something wrong as I was brand new to using an insulin pump.

Reactions: kev-w

Xal

Hey I am new to this post & t1 diabetes. I am fairly newly diagnosed- just passed 6 month anniversary. It has been a miserable, hard initiation- I am not young & have multiple autoimmune diseases-so oh joy! I am slowly learning to deal with the delights of MDI. I have been informed and reassured by conversations here and wanted to join this supportive group- hopefully it is ok to join in?