Type 1'stars R Us

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I got my insight I met with the pump rep and my DSN at clinic and we did all the set up together. But that was moving from MDI to pump so everything was new. Whereas in theory this is just getting the omnipod to do what the insight is currently doing, so I feel quite confident about it... I think I’m going to have a go myself tomorrow morning. Worst case scenario, my BG starts going up and I put the insight back on until i can speak to the DSN. I’ve got a libre on so should be able to see if things start misbehaving (well, more than they normally would anyway in this heat!)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I am new to this post & t1 diabetes. I am fairly newly diagnosed- just passed 6 month anniversary. It has been a miserable, hard initiation- I am not young & have multiple autoimmune diseases-so oh joy! I am slowly learning to deal with the delights of MDI. I have been informed and reassured by conversations here and wanted to join this supportive group- hopefully it is ok to join in?
Welcome @Xal, it's fine to join in, we're a friendly bunch, and there's usually someone around to respond to any questions you might have. Lots to learn in the early days of type 1, but you've come to the right place for support, and things get easier the longer you've been diagnosed.

Reactions: Marie 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Xal Welcome and please join in freely. It’s this sort of support that keeps us going.
Morning all. Awake early, had an interesting night. Loud owls flying past the open window and the new couple at the back entertaining another couple and still going strong at 1:30am. They were sat out and were very loud. Luckily we don’t sleep in the back. Poor people who live next door.
Just hung a line of washing out and it is a lot cooler. Now sat back in bed with rasps and yoghurt and a welcome cuppa.
Have a good weekend everyone.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, it's quiet and wet here in Oxford and I'm happy the temperature has dropped. BG is OK(5.9) but I know it's going to head upwards as usual. Not fair.
No builders today but will need to do some humping in preparation for the next onslaught. Estimated completion 20 July!
Hello @Xal

Reactions: Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, welcome @Xal, yep, you're in the right place for help, advice and support. I learned a lot when I joined, even after 30+ years with T1.

I'm happy too for the drop in temperature, and everywhere outside is happy for the rain, desperately needed here. I didn't sleep so well last night, neighbours over the road were having a good time till midnight and then I shut my windows because of the rain forecast. Result: too hot overnight. Downstairs here stays cool but upstairs can get warm and I'd been enjoying sleeping with windows wide open. Second result: eventually overslept.

A day of decisions. Firstly, do I readjust basal as the weather's cooler? Secondly, do I take a much-needed trip to the local tip with garden waste in the hope that others will be put off by the rain? I'll walk the dog first.....

Have a good day all, hope bgs go steady with this temperature change.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Welcome @Xal. As the others say, this is a good place to learn and share, and it should get a bit easier as you get more used to it all. The first days are a bit tough but with any luck having somewhere like this where people understand the joys and moans will make it easier. I’ve certainly learned a lot too; there’s nothing to beat the insights of others who live with T1.
Lovely cooler day here too, and a bit more rain. It’s soooo nice that everything feels more fresh.
I’m on the app today, I tried going straight to the site on safari but got a message that there were bugs. Some company called WordPress came up as a source of info. Anyone heard of them? I’m deeply suspicious.
Result, I can only give likes, so if you think you deserve a laugh or a medal, consider it done.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just googled WordPress, seems it’s been heavily hacked. Looks like I’ll be using the app for a while.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Back again without the Wordpress message, just left it alone for a while, deleted a few bits and pieces, and it’s gone. Phew.
Hope everyone’s having a good day. Sun’s out at last, so it’s nearly time for walkies.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, a little high waking on a 9.1 but that was the take away :p I should finish the ceiling sanding in the bathroom today so I'll get to clean the dust up for a second time :banghead: but that's what happens when you jump forward to another room when you've not finished the one you were working on so I'll not make that mistake again.

I'm doing some reading on smart watches as I want one that'll show my xDrip readings but I don't want an Apple one as I don't like either the shape or the price of them :p

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit the bullet and switched to omnipod myself yesterday. So far “I aten’t dead” as Granny Weatherwax would say. In fact so far it’s managing extremely well, even when I threw takeaway at it last night - only went up to 9, came back down to 6 and then a nice 6.4 on waking, super steady all night. Probably the most stable it’s been all week (although the shift in weather is a big factor too).

Nice and sunny here today, so off for a socially distanced walk with some friends later. Have a good day all!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
Walkies for me to our local community market but no dog unfortunately. There was always one in our house when I was growing up and I'd love to rescue one but not sure if it's fair at the moment.
Good news, I've got a hair appointment 9th July, I can definitely wait til then
BG is unpredictable 6.9 and rising
How do you know when your pancreas has died completely?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
On the roller coaster a bit today, had a Chinese takeaway last night and went for the rice option, woke up this morning on 11.8 mmol, had breakfast and what I thought was the right amount of insulin.

Went for a 45minute walk and now in hypo land (3.8 - nothing serious) enjoying a sugary coffee and a hobnob (other biscuits are available).

Happy Sunday folks.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
So either I had 1 pod bad and one iffy or 1 bad insulin pen and one iffy or a combo of either or????? I had to switch a pod because I was slowly going up, but the switched one with a new pen, didn't work well but was working. It was like a delay working. So I put up with it for a day and a half and then went ahead and switched it and used another new pen. And wow what a difference. So now I am staring at 2 pens with only a third of each used and was it the pods or the pens??? I know me I'm not going to want to use them, but I also hate wasting especially 2 pens. So I guess maybe I will have to take a small dose directly from a pen and see what happens.............

Reactions: kev-w and SueJB

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So either I had 1 pod bad and one iffy or 1 bad insulin pen and one iffy or a combo of either or????? I had to switch a pod because I was slowly going up, but the switched one with a new pen, didn't work well but was working. It was like a delay working. So I put up with it for a day and a half and then went ahead and switched it and used another new pen. And wow what a difference. So now I am staring at 2 pens with only a third of each used and was it the pods or the pens??? I know me I'm not going to want to use them, but I also hate wasting especially 2 pens. So I guess maybe I will have to take a small dose directly from a pen and see what happens.............
That's the kind of dilemma that drives me mad @Marie 2 - good luck!

Morning all, been for a deliciously cool walk this morning, pleasant when the sun's out. Still tinkering with basal as I don't know how hot it'll be later. I've reversed the overnight reduction a bit, and the morning one, got home from walking higher than when I started so I don't think I've got that quite right....

Have a good day all, and may all your tinkering prodcue good results!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
another mystery @Marie 2

Reactions: kev-w and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good evening all. Hope all the glitches are ironed out tonight and you have a lovely evening too.
Yesterday’s walkies took us to the sea, first sighting in four months, and because it was overcast and windy there were very few people about. Perfect. Lovely!
We had another visit from our older daughter and our son-out-law today, plus the dog, and please please don’t let us go into another lockdown as she says she’s determined to see us every Sunday now: total joy.
I’m sorry everyone in Leicester, it must be so galling to face the prospect of returning to greater restrictions, so please stay safe and well!

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967