Are we reurning to 'normal' too quickly.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that in Leicester pubs/bars/churches/etc will remain closed for a few weeks longer then the rest of England. I am also expecting some large food protection factories with many cases to be closed for 14 days with all staff required to ioslate.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve just read an NYT article on Covid in the US and looking at what’s happened in Florida, I think we have to take very gentle baby steps when lifting lockdown.
Interestingly, the journalist equated the higher incidence of cases in the US and the lax attitude of the government, specifically Trump, with the contrast between the U.K. and Europe.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh yes, wait until we have a much better organised testing, tracking and tracing system, and make masks mandatory too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that in Leicester pubs/bars/churches/etc will remain closed for a few weeks longer then the rest of England. I am also expecting some large food protection factories with many cases to be closed for 14 days with all staff required to ioslate.

I don't believe any extension to the restrictions for Leicester has een announced yet, although seems likely. The food production factories are already closed, with all staff tested (that's how they know the apparent extent of the workplace outbreak), with staff isolating, in line with the guidelines.

I'm following this carefully, as I live in the county, although about 15 miles from the city, but I do have a clinic appointment at one of the main city hospitals in about 3 weeks, so I'll be keeping y eyes peeled.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It is reported that the Mayor of Leicester has said
""Frankly, if the virus is out of control and spreading in Leicester with the restrictions, I can't understand how extending them for a further two weeks would make any difference to that."

He also has said that he has received an Email from the government overnight and "it seems they're suggesting we continue the present level of restriction for a further two weeks beyond 4 July".

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It won't just be Leicester. It will be all the other towns and cities where large gatherings have taken place recently, and just wait till millions get on those planes for a holiday, or visit large pubs that ignore the guidelines.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am not looking forward to Saturday one little bit it was bad enough when the pubs called time around here before all of this goodness alone knows what it's going to be like when they all get back in one.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mind you, the death rate and infection rate is going down almost every day, so maybe it is nearly over. Why are people talking about a second wave? The predicted rise after the last May mass gatherings didnt happen.

edited to add: I am talking about UK figures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daphne917

lindisfel

Expert
Is this problem related to the reports that the government has let in 65000 on flights from Pakistan since March 1st?
Half the cricket team being infected indicates they have a major problem. D.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mind you, the death rate and infection rate is going down almost every day, so maybe it is nearly over. Why are people talking about a second wave? The predicted rise after the last May mass gatherings didnt happen.

edited to add: I am talking about UK figures.

I think you are being over optimistic.

lindisfel

Expert
Nicola Sturgeon on Border TV tonight. They have almost eliminated covid in Scotland and She's thinking of bringing quarantine restrictions at the Scottish Border for those coming from England where Covid is much worse.
D.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't believe any extension to the restrictions for Leicester has een announced yet, although seems likely. The food production factories are already closed, with all staff tested (that's how they know the apparent extent of the workplace outbreak), with staff isolating, in line with the guidelines.

I'm following this carefully, as I live in the county, although about 15 miles from the city, but I do have a clinic appointment at one of the main city hospitals in about 3 weeks, so I'll be keeping y eyes peeled.

If they and it seems they are at this moment in the process of doing so extend the lock down in Leicester what is to stop people just getting in their cars and going out of the city?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they and it seems they are at this moment in the process of doing so extend the lock down in Leicester what is to stop people just getting in their cars and going out of the city?

As I currently understand things; nothing.

I further understand whilst the hotspots are based in a couple of workplaces, those employees don't necessarily live nearby, so there are some challenges around this whole thing.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Keeping the pubs closed in a city may be enough to make many people believe it is not safe to spend time with their friends/relatives inside.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: lovinglife