What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that red meat raises bg in a fitbit article but folks on here seem sceptical about that. Do you have any links to settled science or just a pattern of observations?

Simply my personal observation. I had a h/m burger last night - over 200g meat so fairly substantial. If I have steak for dinner I’m invariably high in the morning too. Happens to me too often to be coincidence, but I’m not giving up red meat. Maybe it’s another of those things that affects people differently.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply my personal observation. I had a h/m burger last night - over 200g meat so fairly substantial. If I have steak for dinner I’m invariably high in the morning too. Happens to me too often to be coincidence, but I’m not giving up red meat. Maybe it’s another of those things that affects people differently.
Thanks for replying. No, don't give up on red meat. It may be good for me that this WOE has put me off red meat really. Never dreamed I would eat so much mackerel (in EVO), salmon (with crispy skin) , avocado and see bacon as (almost) the work of Satan.

Paulyw74

Hello. First post in this section. I'm T2. Currently on Humilin M3 but have been going low carb for the past 9 days and reducing the Insulin as I go.

This morning 4.2. Yesterday 4.7.

I was advised yesterday to stay with the same injection amounts until Friday. Any advice is welcome.

P.

Last edited:
Reactions: ert

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that red meat raises bg in a fitbit article but folks on here seem sceptical about that. Do you have any links to settled science or just a pattern of observations?
That is what I find also. My high FBG yesterday was almost certainly linked to too much bbq meat still falling into the trap of overeating bbq buffet!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for FBG but tomorrow will be so much better.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well a new day a new sensor and a reading of 3.8 at 8:30 so had my morning snack some call it breakfast and a nice caramel flavoured coffee thanks for the tip @ianpspurs and now a reading of wait for it yes you guessed it 3.4:banghead: think I'll dig out the prickometer and see what it says.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well a new day a new sensor and a reading of 3.8 at 8:30 so had my morning snack some call it breakfast and a nice caramel flavoured coffee thanks for the tip @ianpspurs and now a reading of wait for it yes you guessed it 3.4:banghead: think I'll dig out the prickometer and see what it says.
Glad the caramel worked for you @JohnEGreen. Taste is such a personal thing so putting products or recipes "out there" is always risky. Dr Almond popped Emmental is fundamentally spiffing for me - https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...00-g-xxl-bag-the-perfect-low-carb-keto-snack/ they also do Gouda for £1 less and some small :meh: pots.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is what I find also. My high FBG yesterday was almost certainly linked to too much bbq meat still falling into the trap of overeating bbq buffet!
Hug for falling into the trap. As you have always said we can all only try our best. Food likes/dislikes limit our choices and ability to stay the LC course. BBQ meat and buffet are highly unlikely to be an issue for me but I sympathise with those who enjoy them.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey - I had steak for dinner last night and had the lowest FBG this morning in ages, and I find red meat doesn't really affect my sugar levels - so yeah may be another one of those things that affect people differently - so glad as I don't want to give up steak!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for falling into the trap. As you have always said we can all only try our best. Food likes/dislikes limit our choices and ability to stay the LC course. BBQ meat and buffet are highly unlikely to be an issue for me but I sympathise with those who enjoy them.
Just to clarify overeating any meat gives the same result. Anyway its no fun any more with just faffing for two people. Thanks for the hug.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey - I had steak for dinner last night and had the lowest FBG this morning in ages, and I find red meat doesn't really affect my sugar levels - so yeah may be another one of those things that affect people differently - so glad as I don't want to give up steak!

I shan’t give up steak either, it’s ok because at least I’m expecting a higher than usual fbg afterwards. It’s when I don’t know the reason for it that I get more cheesed off.