What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying to what I thought I deleted. I wasn't trying to be intrusive. I just still don't have the faintest idea of what, how much and why to eat for the best. By the best I mean management of T2 without damaging other key markers of health. More confused now than I was 5 years ago.

Not intrusive at all, if you do find the answer please let me know!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I buy steaks from butcher he cuts it off at the thickness or weight I ask for. Quite often I would just ask for a thin cut. Grandson buys four sizzle steaks cooks them makes 12 eggs scrambled as a topping or melts cheese on the steaks puts that on a plate and eats the lot. In am not sure what his BG is like because much to my disgust he doesn't test.

My butcher would cut me a thin slice or whatever weight I wanted if I asked - I just somehow don’t!
Your grandson’s steak and eggs feast sounds fabulous - am I right in remembering he is a fitness instructor though? Or something else that uses a lot of energy?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not intrusive at all, if you do find the answer please let me know!
I thought I did know when I started out on this. 5 years on here has just left me bewildered, sceptical and wondering if I'm being lied to. Butchers? What are they?

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
5.5 this morning. Fasting until 5 pm (24 hours) so, for me, it's going to be a long day. Trying not to look at the clock.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Weight loss. It's really tough to lose weight on insulin. Fasting is the only way I can manage it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss. It's really tough to lose weight on insulin. Fasting is the only way I can manage it.
Best wishes for that. I had a period of multi day food fasts. Lost weight, felt fine though bg/A1c no better than average BUT cholesterol shot to pieces. Blow that for a game of soldiers in my case. Take care.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Best wishes for that. I had a period of multi day food fasts. Lost weight, felt fine but bg/A1c no better than average BUT cholesterol shot to pieces. Blow that fora game of soldiers in my case. Take care.
1/4 of the population genetically is effected by the cholesterol they eat. I'm one of these, so I keep my cholesterol intake to 200 mg a day, and my total cholesterol is usually 5 mmol/l.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1/4 of the population is genetically effected by the cholesterol they eat. I'm one of these, so I keep my cholesterol intake to 200 mg a day, and my total cholesterol is usually 5 mmol/l.
Good stuff. I went ape when it trickled above 4.:arghh:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 today. Not effected by my late night chocy. Small bar of 85% (delicious from aldi). It hit the spot. Job done.

Reactions: karen8967

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My butcher would cut me a thin slice or whatever weight I wanted if I asked - I just somehow don’t!
Your grandson’s steak and eggs feast sounds fabulous - am I right in remembering he is a fitness instructor though? Or something else that uses a lot of energy?
He is a body builder he would be a fantastic fitness instructor if he chose to but at the moment he is about to start his third year of an economics degree in September and is aiming hopefully for a 1st so far he is on track for that.

I worry about his BG sometimes as diabetes both T1 and T2 is very prevalent in his father's family both grandparents and both great grand parents but also in my wife's family mainly T1

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying to what I thought I deleted. I wasn't trying to be intrusive. I just still don't have the faintest idea of what, how much and why to eat for the best. By the best I mean management of T2 without damaging other key markers of health. More confused now than I was 5 years ago.

The AGREE I gave your post meant "Me too," not "Yes you are." :) Isaiah 59:9b ... and 1 Corinthians 13:12.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1/4 of the population genetically is effected by the cholesterol they eat. I'm one of these, so I keep my cholesterol intake to 200 mg a day, and my total cholesterol is usually 5 mmol/l.

That makes sense to me, and sounds sort of like what my doctor told me last year, I think. Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: ianpspurs

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7 this morning. I am happy with that. Not because I am keeping score, but because I like being part of this community.

t57015.gif

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I buy steaks from butcher he cuts it off at the thickness or weight I ask for. Quite often I would just ask for a thin cut. Grandson buys four sizzle steaks cooks them makes 12 eggs scrambled as a topping or melts cheese on the steaks puts that on a plate and eats the lot. In am not sure what his BG is like because much to my disgust he doesn't test.
Sounds like he's a growing boy!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear .... 7.5 for me this morning:banghead: .... I shouldn't have stole the chicken pakoras (yes plural) etc. from my son's takeaway late last night - sometimes it is really had to resist if it is right in front of your nose and smells amazing eh? or is it just me who sometimes doesn't have the willpower to say no thanks? and I have put on one pounds on the scales! Anyhoo today is a new day so upwards and onwards as they say ... ;)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He is a body builder he would be a fantastic fitness instructor if he chose to but at the moment he is about to start his third year of an economics degree in September and is aiming hopefully for a 1st so far he is on track for that.

I worry about his BG sometimes as diabetes both T1 and T2 is very prevalent in his father's family both grandparents and both great grand parents but also in my wife's family mainly T1

You must be proud as Punch John but I can understand your worry about his health. I’m sure he will listen to you in time.