What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Gleny

Hi
Slightly puzzled why some folk with.or rather a lot of folk n the Diabetic world expect their B/G level to be consistently lower than non Diabetics !
Glenn

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi
Slightly puzzled why some folk with.or rather a lot of folk n the Diabetic world expect their B/G level to be consistently lower than non Diabetics !
Glenn
Normal fasting blood sugars are between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L. I for one am not trying to get lower than this. Hypos are dangerous.
My serious answer: We're trying to avoid diabetic complications by trying to normalise our fasting blood sugars through diet changes, exercise etc.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Snap for level @JohnEGreen but Libre said so. I woke an hour or more later - 6.15 - so I'm ok with that. @Gleny I think @ert has mostly covered my answer to your question. All I would add is that all ways of checking bg have margins of error and many of us factor in individual devices quirks as we become aware of them.
Edit to add: Just what is normal? I thought we were well past that stage of development as a species.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.7 for me
FB_IMG_1586862763156.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Gleny Also your fbg sets your base line for your bg profile for the rest of the day .

"
To know the relationships between pre‐ and postprandial blood glucose (BG), i.e. BG profile shape, is a requisite for an appropriate therapy for type 2 diabetic patients. In non diabetic subjects, pre‐breakfast, pre‐lunch and pre‐dinner BG are similar, so that BG postprandial excursions are superimposed on a stable BG preprandial baseline. We aimed to clarify: (a) whether BG preprandial baseline is stable also in type 2 diabetes and (b) whether fasting BG (FBG) influences the slope of BG preprandial baseline and the relationships between pre‐ and postprandial BG.

In type 2 diabetes, the shape of BG profiles changes in relation to FBG, because it deeply influences the slope of BG preprandial baseline on which postprandial excursions are superimposed. Thus, before planning treatment policies, not only the extent of fasting and postprandial hyperglycaemia, but also the shape of profiles should be considered, to safely correct hyperglycaemia without inducing hypoglycaemia."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1365-2362.2002.00965.x

Reactions: Debandez

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today.
@Gleny I just like a bit of wriggle room! Dawn phenomenon tends to make my BG rise during the morning but if I start lowish it doesn’t head to dangerous heights. If FBG is higher then it can easily climb over 7 by mid morning.
What’s your FBG by the way?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 this morning back to finger pricking tomorrow as libre sensor pegs out today and will be a just few days hopefully till new one arrives.

Is it quicker to get them from elsewhere other than Abbott say Asda or Amazon I know Abbot are slightly cheaper but a bit on the slow side delivery wise.

I have 3 in my cupboard and when one runs out order another. They arrive within a couple of days. Never had an issue with that. Maybe order 2 if possible. I recommend you pop it on but don't activate for at least 24 hours. Seems to help with accuracy at the beginning.

I did order from Asda at the beginning but had to wait longer. I do know that sometimes they have a few in stock.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gleny welcome to the thread.

Personally I like to be around the 5 mark. I feel then that I've made good choices with my food the day before and my diabetic body hasn't had to work too hard digesting so much sugar/glucose.

i have an army inside but I call it 'dads army' ;-) they need me to take care of them so they (and me!) can live a long and healthy life. My husband, and most non diabetics, has the SAS!

If my fbs is over 5 I would have a very low carb breakfast. Usually eggs. If its under 5 I might have a slice of low carb toast (@7g carbs) with lashings of butter for balance. I'm rarely under 5 so this doesn't happen often. Also many of us have less carbs in the morning as our bodies don't deal as well with them early in the day as later.

Today its 5.4. Not bad after a take away Sunday dinner (no yorkshire but 1 very small roast potato). You are never sure what's in the take away food but my libre loved it. A small rise (Low carb crackers and cheese too). 2 glasses of red may have helped ;-)

Lots of take aways this week as decorating. (Making good choices) so i'm very pleased with results.

And I would just like to add that posting here keeps many of us focused. We get lots of support from each other on our journeys which for me is the main reason i post my fbs. Thank you all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-095704_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-095704_LibreLink.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good start to the week for you @Pipp :woot::woot:
I repeated the banana experiment. Still same result. No increase.
I have also found numbers are lower since I stopped exercise, due to lockdown.
Not recommending anyone follows my examples, but just demonstrates how we are all individuals, and have to find what works best for ourselves.
I do get increases in BG after a bath or shower. Not contemplating giving up on personal hygiene, though.:bag:

Reactions: Debandez and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I repeated the banana experiment. Still same result. No increase.
I have also found numbers are lower since I stopped exercise, due to lockdown.
Not recommending anyone follows my examples, but just demonstrates how we are all individuals, and have to find what works best for ourselves.
I do get increases in BG after a bath or shower. Not contemplating giving up on personal hygiene, though.:bag:
I have also noticed bg rises after a shower. Most bizarre.