Undiagnosed worried about symptoms

AspieBoy79

1. Hey guys, newbie here and it's my birthday so be nice.

Not diagnosed but have worried about diabetes for a while as have had random symptoms for a while and runs in families.

Last few days I been getting dehydrated and noticed im constantly thirsty. The thing with this is I'm usually bad for drinking and don't drink very much as I'm never thirsty and if I do drink recommended amount (8 cups) then 8 can't stop peeing. Anyway like I said last few days I been constantly thirsty, top of mouth not dry but furry. But once I've had about 4 or 5 cups of water I then can't stop peeing. Like every 10 minutes at some points. I drink something and I'm immediately thirsty again. My urine after a while becomes completely crystal clear like water too.

I've made an appointment for Monday with my drs surgery to get my blood tested. I think this must be a random test as I asked the receptionist if I needed to fast and she said no.

Today I'm feeling nauseous and not great. I'm worried or wondering if my blood sugar could be high. As someone not diagnosed I've got no way of checking my levels and no insulin or medication.

I read about the serious complications of high blood sugar and the symptoms and it's freaking me out. What are the clear symptoms I need to be looking out for with extreme high or low sugar levels.

Is there a way I can bring my levels back down without medication other than drinking loads of water? I did try and go for a 1hr walk this morning, but it hasn't made much difference to how I feel.

Slightly scared
    All the best
    Ben

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. If you're really concerned, there's always the option of walking into A&E, and I'm sure with your symptoms, they'd test your blood sugars. They're quieter than usual, but that may change after Saturday's lock-down lifting.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Before you see the Dr you can reduce the carbs which will help if you do have high blood sugar. If you are diagnosed then the GP will no doubt prescribe some meds. Are you slim or have lost weight recently without trying? If so then there is a possibility of being late onset T1 and that can serious if left so do see the GP for the test and take it from there.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @AspieBoy79 and happy birthday :)

I appreciate Dr Google can be a nightmare when googling a few symptoms, however any health concerns need to be seen by a doctor asap particularly due to the anxiety it's causing you so more so for your mental health.

If you have un-diagnosed diabetes then you need to be concerned about high blood glucose levels, however if you've got a virus then you can present similar symptoms, so thirst, peeing, feeling nauseous. With un-diagnosed type 1, pear breath, poor vision, low energy levels, weight loss are classic symptoms also. However as you can appreciate it's not up for anyone here to second guess the cause of what's going on with you, it's more important to get seen asap to put your mind at rest, hopefully you can bring your apt forward. Best wishes.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @AspieBoy79 and happy birthday

If you are that worried then a visit to A&E is on the cards for you, pretty sure they would test your BG straight away. ALSO Booths the chemist will also test your BG as well. Unfortunately we are unable to diagnose on here mate. Keep us updated on any news

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not diagnosed but have worried about diabetes for a while as have had random symptoms for a while and runs in families.

Last few days I been getting dehydrated and noticed im constantly thirsty. The thing with this is I'm usually bad for drinking and don't drink very much as I'm never thirsty and if I do drink recommended amount (8 cups) then 8 can't stop peeing. Anyway like I said last few days I been constantly thirsty, top of mouth not dry but furry. But once I've had about 4 or 5 cups of water I then can't stop peeing. Like every 10 minutes at some points. I drink something and I'm immediately thirsty again. My urine after a while becomes completely crystal clear like water too.

I've made an appointment for Monday with my drs surgery to get my blood tested. I think this must be a random test as I asked the receptionist if I needed to fast and she said no.

Today I'm feeling nauseous and not great. I'm worried or wondering if my blood sugar could be high. As someone not diagnosed I've got no way of checking my levels and no insulin or medication.

I read about the serious complications of high blood sugar and the symptoms and it's freaking me out. What are the clear symptoms I need to be looking out for with extreme high or low sugar levels.

Is there a way I can bring my levels back down without medication other than drinking loads of water? I did try and go for a 1hr walk this morning, but it hasn't made much difference to how I feel.

Slightly scared
    All the best
    Ben
Never worry about people being unkind to a newby here; everyone was once in your shoes: scared, knowing something's up, but what?

You've gotten some grand advice already. But yeah, you're doing the right thing getting a GP involved. If you're feeling really rotten though, feel free to call 111 and ask them for guidance. Mention the thirst, frequent urination and the nausea, the suspicion of diabetes, which runs in the family and being quite unwell. Don't leave anything out if you do call them, okay? (And if you feel scared and unwell, calling them might be a good idea no matter which way you turn it.)

If you can get to a pharmacy, today, get a blood glucose meter. That'll tell you right-quick how you're doing. Share the results with us if you want/need interpreting. We can't diagnose, but we can tell you whether something's off or concerning.

In the meantime, cut carbs, just to make sure. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so even the stuff that's not sweet can raise blood sugars. You might be surprised what isn't good for a (potential) diabetic. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help you decide what to eat and what not to, without getting too bogged down in details. (It's my own little quick-start guide). It's geared towards T2's though, and since you don't know what's going on yet, T1, T2, one of many other types or no diabetic at all... Take it easy and don't do anything too drastic. I'm Dutch so I might be reading your handle wrong, but if you have aspergers, food can maybe be a bit complicated for you? But there's more people here who have issues with foods and figure work-arounds out. So don't despair just yet, okay? If it is T2, diet can help get you back into the normal range, but it is not the end all and be all: medication or insulin is an option, if diet isn't. For all other types it's mainly medication and insulin, but it's not a foregone conclusion yet eh.

As for the blood test ordered by the doc, it's likely to be a HbA1c, and you don't have to fast for that. It's an average of the past 3 months' worth of blood sugars.

You'll be okay, whatever way this turns out. Have some hope, tied up with a bow, for your birthday.
Jo

blythespirit

As someone has already suggested, I'll second getting a blood glucose monitor. I'm also brand new here and I also am genetically high risk for t2. I've been noticing symptoms that could point to prediabetes at least, but trying to get a doctor appointment where I'm at is still difficult. I've been tested for t2 probably 50 times in my life because I've shown so many symptoms and have a long family history plus I know I inherited the genes and am very high risk. I've made the decision that I want to be able to provide my doctors with a 30 day "picture" of what my bg is, simply because every time they do their tests, I'm on the cusp, but "nothing to worry about yet". T2 contributed directly to my father's death at 36. IMO I have plenty to worry about! Now I know what my body is doing, how it's currently coping, and I know I need to make changes or it will get worse. It helps me to feel like I have a little bit more control and that I'm not purely at the mercy of my genes.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Slightly scared
    All the best
    Ben
Welcome and happy birthday to you!

I don't know where you are but Lloyds Chemist do Blood Glucose and Blood Pressure checks. Take care.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, the thing about this unquenchable thirst could well be that your glucose IS high, it's a classic sign (but of course it may NOT be diabetes, you'll need a diagnosis for that). People think you're weeing more because you are thirsty and drinking more so try to justify it like that, but in actual fact your body is trying to pee out the glucose leaving you dehydrated, so you drink more because your body keeps releasing fluid whilst trying to get rid of the sugar. This sounds a little gross but in the absence of any testing kits, try tasting a drop of your urine, does it taste like sugar or a sweetener tablet? As others have said, you need to get it checked as of course, you are doing but with you feeling nauseous as well, I would not wait until Monday, I would at least contact 111 for medical advice. x

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

A lot of blood tests require fasting, maybe it's an idea to ask what blood test they're doing. They might just use a BG meter that most diabetics (especially type I) will use on a daily basis. They might do an HbA1c.

You might also consider using the services of private organisation such as https://thriva.co/all-tests.