Type2 confirmed yesterday

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry about variations as you meander back towards normal - there are many different places your body has been frantically storing glucose and they will gradually be unlocked if you keep to low carb eating. You might find that you develop erratic sleep patterns, want to go out for walks after dark, or be up at the crack of dawn, or noon - you might find that you change shape - I had my trousers fall down a few times before I realised I'd lost a couple of stones. Once you have been in the single digits after meals for a while, your metabolism will get back into balance - with any luck - but getting there might be a bit strange.

Funny you mention the sleep thing. Go to bed feeling tired then can't sleep? Been pretty diligent on the low carb but lapsed a bit on the excersise so that's got to be sorted. Actual weight loss seems to have slowed but got into a smaller Jean size so somethings changing for better.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had telephone call from surgery. 3rd different diabetic nurse I've dealt with.Very kind natured and not got a problem with the service I'm getting from them but point blank told me i dont need a meter and my testing is not helpful? Told to book in for H1 test start of July and that was only number that mattered? First guy I saw seemed keen on testing and Low Carb. The 2 ladies I've spoke with seem to be going of opposite view? I'm going to carry on as i am but has left me bit bemused.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had telephone call from surgery. 3rd different diabetic nurse I've dealt with.Very kind natured and not got a problem with the service I'm getting from them but point blank told me i dont need a meter and my testing is not helpful? Told to book in for H1 test start of July and that was only number that mattered? First guy I saw seemed keen on testing and Low Carb. The 2 ladies I've spoke with seem to be going of opposite view? I'm going to carry on as i am but has left me bit bemused.
Lovely, isn't it, when no-one who's an "authority" agrees with the others on how to get you back to health, eh. Stay your own course, do what works for you.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a roundabout way, she's right and wrong. Your meter helps YOU. The readings don't help the surgery. However, your control of the condition will help you directly and will cost the NHS less in the long run.

Just accept that you will come up against dinosaurs more often than not.

Reactions: Redbutterfly

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You test - you are like the driver of a car who knows what speed they are traveling at.
Do you prefer to use the speedometer or wait for the speeding fines to arrive? That would not make me at all happy, but the nurses seem to think it is adequate.
With the meter you can see how meals affect you and make changes if you spike. Without - anyone's guess. You could be high all the time, you could be denying yourself foods you could eat or eating ones which you can't cope with. I really think that a meter is the way to gain control and knowledge.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Switched to 2 meal yesterday and did bit more excersise and got an 8.4 today.
Had that 7.2 last week but then back to 9.1-9.4. For all the nurse saying meters are not helpful I feel more motivated on seeing this

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update.Resumed work so not been posting as much. Booked in this Friday for my H1abc1 which will be the first since diagnosis and hopeful if not a bit anxious as to the result. Just looking at my meter and 90 day reads 9.9. 60 day 9.2. 30 day avg 9.2. 14 day avg 8.4. 7day 7.9.
Pretty decent since 121 on 22nd April?
On 4 Sukkarto per day and under 50g carb still.From 18.3 ish 3 month ago to now I can see real progress and would be big morale boost to get good results but would expect it to be in double figures as an average score?
Seems the first month was the most dramatic for decreasing mmol and it's slowed down as getting nearer target. Fingers crossed for Friday..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update.Resumed work so not been posting as much. Booked in this Friday for my H1abc1 which will be the first since diagnosis and hopeful if not a bit anxious as to the result. Just looking at my meter and 90 day reads 9.9. 60 day 9.2. 30 day avg 9.2. 14 day avg 8.4. 7day 7.9.
Pretty decent since 121 on 22nd April?
On 4 Sukkarto per day and under 50g carb still.From 18.3 ish 3 month ago to now I can see real progress and would be big morale boost to get good results but would expect it to be in double figures as an average score?
Seems the first month was the most dramatic for decreasing mmol and it's slowed down as getting nearer target. Fingers crossed for Friday..
I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised... You've done really well and keep improving. I have my HbA1c appointment on Thursday, think it's a bit higher as would be usual, since I've been using prednison and sleeping badly. Nothing too bad though, so I'm not worried. After a while the stress goes out of these HbA1c things, because you know, thanks to your own meter, that you're doing great. ;)

Reactions: toddy35

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers. I still see people starting new topics and really empathise with how they feel upon diagnosis. 3 month later it doesn't seem quite so scary but looking back it was pretty intense. Still relatively new to all this and if my journey helps others like you guys helped me il be glad.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers. I still see people starting new topics and really empathise with how they feel upon diagnosis. 3 month later it doesn't seem quite so scary but looking back it was pretty intense. Still relatively new to all this and if my journey helps others like you guys helped me il be glad.
I'm four years in and I remember it all too vividly too... At the time I never thought diabetes management would be something I considered relatively easy. You really have come a long way.... And I think you can indeed be an inspiration to others here.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been testing as much now I know what foods cause me problems but mainly in morning when i do Just done a random check now and 6.2.This is my lowest so far and has me thinking the dawn phenomenon may mean I've been basing my average on skewed data?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not been testing as much now I know what foods cause me problems but mainly in morning when i do Just done a random check now and 6.2.This is my lowest so far and has me thinking the dawn phenomenon may mean I've been basing my average on skewed data?
Do you use the MySugr app? Might be worth it to log a week's worth of results (FBG and pre and post prandial) and get their HbA1c estimate.... It's not spot-on, but usually not that far off either.

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I feel exactly how you feel. Well done on your journey so far!

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use the MySugr app? Might be worth it to log a week's worth of results (FBG and pre and post prandial) and get their HbA1c estimate.... It's not spot-on, but usually not that far off either.

No, I've not tried that although seen it mentioned. I'm not really app/tech savvy but will take a look

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had this 2 hour after soup and cheese salad. Had a Ribena light bottle as well so was expecting little. Can't say just how chuffed i was. Go into the 3 month test t
20200625_171042.jpg
omorrow a bit calmer.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had bloods taken last Friday. Results back on Monday but doctor not accessed them so told ring Wednesday. Same situation but told try Thursday.Rang today but told still not opened? I understand it's not normal times but was a little cheesed off. Just this minute received text saying make appointment with diabetic nurse asap?Thinking it's a positive the Doctor doesn't want to see me?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had bloods taken last Friday. Results back on Monday but doctor not accessed them so told ring Wednesday. Same situation but told try Thursday.Rang today but told still not opened? I understand it's not normal times but was a little cheesed off. Just this minute received text saying make appointment with diabetic nurse asap?Thinking it's a positive the Doctor doesn't want to see me?
Have you got online access to your results? Probably need to register but it should be available England’s wide. Or phone and ask for a printout so you can be prepared with relevant questions for the appointment. You are entitled to access and results.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

GP's are often quite clueless about diabetes, so would refer to a DN. Who sometimes are not much better, alas. But if it said asap, I'd sit up and listen. Get an appointment, don't put it off. It does not mean all is well. Doesn't mean you're on death's door either, just... Don't make any assumptions, and go.