Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Dark Horse

More or Less is great and listened to that episode but I do not think they could have examined the stats on testing on Panorama as I understand that Ofwatch reminded the broadcasters to not deviate too much from the official messagin on CoVid 19.
Could you provide a link to that please?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
"From" or "with" COVID is key and of course the 10k deaths that happen every week anyway?

The statistics from the few countries that didn't do it at all unfortunately tend to disagree with you.
Japan for example. An old article but still fairly valid nonetheless 974 total deaths as of yesterday.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ccess-story-how-japan-has-tackled-coronavirus
They wear masks in Japan, and there’s interesting evidence emerging that there may have been cultural and immunological advantages that helped keep the mortality low. It seems that the immune responses were different to what was expected.

Coronavirus: Japan's mysteriously low virus death rate https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188847

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

John Ioaniddis is the same scientist who predicted fewer than 10k deaths in the US.

"It started on March 17, when Ioannidis published an opinion essay in STAT saying that the data on Covid-19 were not sufficient to know the disease’s true prevalence and fatality rate. He also argued that scientists were in the dark with respect to which distancing and lockdown measures work, which don’t, and what the measures’ downstream harms might be. All of which was true — even if his very early estimate that as few as 10,000 might die in the U.S. turned out to be wrong. Ioannidis went on to say that preventing people from working or leaving their homes could cause more harm than the virus itself."

"But the attacks on Ioannidis from the medical community and the popular press are different. They are tinged with partisanship, with each side appearing to embrace the math that serves their political allegiances."

Full text here.
https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...illustrates-how-political-science-has-become/

bryanmccrae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only study if this nature I've seen was from the US in type 1s. Over 50% dealt with the condition at home. Few issues with the study such as small data set and didn't break down if this correlated with other things such as weight or control etc.

The nhs data on diabetes and covid deaths would indicate that there is a very wide degree of risk based on a whole range of parameters such as age, type of diabetes, weight, control etc. I'd assume therefore that this would translate to a degree on severity and hospitalisations. Though some covid hospitalisation will be as a result of DKA rather than severe covid. Note Dr Partha Kar indicated DKA is rarely what results in death of diabetics with covid. Same from the US study.

Caveat all of this of course by the fact some fit and healthy people take a bad reaction to covid and a small amount unfortunately die from it.
Hi
Only study if this nature I've seen was from the US in type 1s. Over 50% dealt with the condition at home. Few issues with the study such as small data set and didn't break down if this correlated with other things such as weight or control etc.

The nhs data on diabetes and covid deaths would indicate that there is a very wide degree of risk based on a whole range of parameters such as age, type of diabetes, weight, control etc. I'd assume therefore that this would translate to a degree on severity and hospitalisations. Though some covid hospitalisation will be as a result of DKA rather than severe covid. Note Dr Partha Kar indicated DKA is rarely what results in death of diabetics with covid. Same from the US study.

Caveat all of this of course by the fact some fit and healthy people take a bad reaction to covid and a small amount unfortunately die from it.
Hi Jamie, thanks, are you able to provide a link to the US study that you mentioned please?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder does this alter our view of the statistics.

"As a disabled woman, Ginny Butcher is roughly 11 times more likely to die from coronavirus than her peers. New figures also suggest almost two-thirds of Covid-19 deaths in the UK have been disabled people. There are now calls for an inquiry."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53221435

From the BBC and we of course according to some cannot gullibly trust their veracity willy-nilly but I see no reason to doubt it at this time.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I of course have not personally verified every single thing I have ever posted by that I mean I have not gone out collected data collated it and applied the standard algorithms in order to prove or disprove the statistics provided by the ONS so I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the numbers I have to choose who I trust to have done their job properly and who to trust of those reporting and interpreting those figures but I try to keep an open mind and not to be biased my my own assumptions.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Tannith

BANNED
I wonder does this alter our view of the statistics.

"As a disabled woman, Ginny Butcher is roughly 11 times more likely to die from coronavirus than her peers. New figures also suggest almost two-thirds of Covid-19 deaths in the UK have been disabled people. There are now calls for an inquiry."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53221435

From the BBC and we of course according to some cannot gullibly trust their veracity willy-nilly but I see no reason to doubt it at this time.
I read the article about 2/3 of the deaths being disabled people and by "disabled" there, they didn't mean people in wheelchairs but people with the usual co morbidities like heart /lung disease that they are always quoting. lncluding wheelchair users of course.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
John Ioaniddis is the same scientist who predicted fewer than 10k deaths in the US.

"It started on March 17, when Ioannidis published an opinion essay in STAT saying that the data on Covid-19 were not sufficient to know the disease’s true prevalence and fatality rate. He also argued that scientists were in the dark with respect to which distancing and lockdown measures work, which don’t, and what the measures’ downstream harms might be. All of which was true — even if his very early estimate that as few as 10,000 might die in the U.S. turned out to be wrong. Ioannidis went on to say that preventing people from working or leaving their homes could cause more harm than the virus itself."

"But the attacks on Ioannidis from the medical community and the popular press are different. They are tinged with partisanship, with each side appearing to embrace the math that serves their political allegiances."

Full text here.
https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...illustrates-how-political-science-has-become/
Given that he predicted less than 10k deaths in the US ,to my lay man's eyes does that not blow any credibility out of the water all politics aside?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Given that he predicted less than 10k deaths in the US ,to my lay man's eyes does that not blow any credibility out of the water all politics aside?

Like someone predicting 500,000 deaths in the UK maybe?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I am aware, nobody is ‘predicting’ anything with prophetic certainty. Simply because they can’t.

they are are all saying a variation on ‘we may see x number of deaths if certain circumstances apply, as opposed to maybe seeing y deaths if different circumstances apply’.

It is like watching a game of Pin The Tail On The Donkey, while they bludgeon each other with opinions.

lindisfel

Expert
I guess if someone has been a consultant in icu the last few months, their opinion counts far more than any armchair experts.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Like someone predicting 500,000 deaths in the UK maybe?
And of course that was always a possibility thankfully unrealized but I suppose then we should be happy with it just being 50 odd thousand so far.

Dark Horse

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/david-icke-and-eamonn-holmes-decision
This statement was in relation to Eamon Holmes' mention of the David Icke 5g conspiracy theory but the response contains a general statement which I think could be taken as a warning to not go too far off government message when discussing the pandemic.
Unless you meant More or Less which can be found on BBC Sounds!
OK, thanks. Your post had seemed to imply that Ofcom (I presume that's what you meant by Ofwatch) had made a judgement about the programme, 'More or Less' but I now see that is not what you were saying.

Edited to remove word which was not intended to be part of this comment and appeared in error.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hilarious.

OK, thanks. Your post had seemed to imply that Ofcom (I presume that's what you meant by Ofwatch) had made a judgement about the programme, 'More or Less' but I now see that is not what you were saying.
Eamon Holmes suggested that the 5g conspiracy theory could be discussed, and hopefully shown up for being total nonsense, which seems reasonable to me. The ruling sent out a warning to the mainstream not to go too far off piste which has had a censorous impact on any discussion in the mainstream and some banning and shadow banning from YouTube etc. e.g. Peter Hitchens, a lockdown sceptic, on Triggernometry (you can find the episode but not easily).