1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lupf, May 15, 2020.

1. mariefrance

mariefrance Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi NicoleC1971 - I'm not sure which stats you're referring to but I do remember being quite surprised each week when the More or Less presenter posed the question 'Are the Government figures on testing accurate?' and the answer clearly being No with a good explanation about the issues. Never really thought of any BBC presenter as being deviant but kind of like the idea!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Could you provide a link to that please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They wear masks in Japan, and there’s interesting evidence emerging that there may have been cultural and immunological advantages that helped keep the mortality low. It seems that the immune responses were different to what was expected.

Coronavirus: Japan's mysteriously low virus death rate https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188847

• Like Like x 3
  6. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

John Ioaniddis is the same scientist who predicted fewer than 10k deaths in the US.

"It started on March 17, when Ioannidis published an opinion essay in STAT saying that the data on Covid-19 were not sufficient to know the disease’s true prevalence and fatality rate. He also argued that scientists were in the dark with respect to which distancing and lockdown measures work, which don’t, and what the measures’ downstream harms might be. All of which was true — even if his very early estimate that as few as 10,000 might die in the U.S. turned out to be wrong. Ioannidis went on to say that preventing people from working or leaving their homes could cause more harm than the virus itself."

"But the attacks on Ioannidis from the medical community and the popular press are different. They are tinged with partisanship, with each side appearing to embrace the math that serves their political allegiances."

Full text here.
    https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...illustrates-how-political-science-has-become/

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bryanmccrae

bryanmccrae Type 1 · Newbie

Hi
    Hi Jamie, thanks, are you able to provide a link to the US study that you mentioned please?

8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I wonder does this alter our view of the statistics.

"As a disabled woman, Ginny Butcher is roughly 11 times more likely to die from coronavirus than her peers. New figures also suggest almost two-thirds of Covid-19 deaths in the UK have been disabled people. There are now calls for an inquiry."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53221435

From the BBC and we of course according to some cannot gullibly trust their veracity willy-nilly but I see no reason to doubt it at this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bulkbiker

10. JohnEGreen

I of course have not personally verified every single thing I have ever posted by that I mean I have not gone out collected data collated it and applied the standard algorithms in order to prove or disprove the statistics provided by the ONS so I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the numbers I have to choose who I trust to have done their job properly and who to trust of those reporting and interpreting those figures but I try to keep an open mind and not to be biased my my own assumptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jamie H

Jamie H · Well-Known Member

12. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/david-icke-and-eamonn-holmes-decision
    This statement was in relation to Eamon Holmes' mention of the David Icke 5g conspiracy theory but the response contains a general statement which I think could be taken as a warning to not go too far off government message when discussing the pandemic.
    Unless you meant More or Less which can be found on BBC Sounds!

13. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

I read the article about 2/3 of the deaths being disabled people and by "disabled" there, they didn't mean people in wheelchairs but people with the usual co morbidities like heart /lung disease that they are always quoting. lncluding wheelchair users of course.

14. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

This is interesting. If this is the case then you have to wonder how many people have tested positive and not experienced anything symptom wise because they actually tested false positive instead, but have become a statistic on infection rate list. Guess we'll never really know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dusty911

Dusty911 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Given that he predicted less than 10k deaths in the US ,to my lay man's eyes does that not blow any credibility out of the water all politics aside?

16. bulkbiker

Like someone predicting 500,000 deaths in the UK maybe?

17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I am aware, nobody is ‘predicting’ anything with prophetic certainty. Simply because they can’t.

they are are all saying a variation on ‘we may see x number of deaths if certain circumstances apply, as opposed to maybe seeing y deaths if different circumstances apply’.

It is like watching a game of Pin The Tail On The Donkey, while they bludgeon each other with opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I guess if someone has been a consultant in icu the last few months, their opinion counts far more than any armchair experts.

19. JohnEGreen

And of course that was always a possibility thankfully unrealized but I suppose then we should be happy with it just being 50 odd thousand so far.

20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

OK, thanks. Your post had seemed to imply that Ofcom (I presume that's what you meant by Ofwatch) had made a judgement about the programme, 'More or Less' but I now see that is not what you were saying.

Edited to remove word which was not intended to be part of this comment and appeared in error.

#400 Dark Horse, Jul 5, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook