New diagnosis as type 2 Hba1c test 104 and in shock

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hardly drink water. I normally have fanta zero sugar or tesco ginger beer. no carbs or sugar in them. my bg levels are between 4 and 5, I have to be careful because of my low range and always carry something sweet with me in case of a hypo, but there are alternatives, try a low carb diet it'd be the best thing you can do. some people do 150g a day, i do 30g or lower a day, and the food is delicious.
Just to add be aware that some people still have bgl spikes on some sweeteners. If anyone is wondering why they get higher numbers than expected for the carbs they’ve eaten then this is worth considering. Many popular fizzy drinks affect me as does maltitol, and many granulated sweeteners that use bulking agents maltodextrin or dextrose.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add be aware that some people still have bgl spikes on some sweeteners. If anyone is wondering why they get higher numbers than expected for the carbs they’ve eaten then this is worth considering. Many popular fizzy drinks affect me as does maltitol, and many granulated sweeteners that use bulking agents maltodextrin or dextrose.
Malitol is listed in the ISO standard for BGL meters as a known contaminant that causes meters to misread. Manufacturers are requested to desensitize their products for this and other sugar alcohols, but not all meters are meeting this request.

Andy_J

What would be an acceptable increase when testing 2 hours after a meal like lunch? 2.5 difference to much so I need to work harder on what I eat or would people say that's OK?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What would be an acceptable increase when testing 2 hours after a meal like lunch? 2.5 difference to much so I need to work harder on what I eat or would people say that's OK?
The aim'd be 2.0, so you're just barely over that. I'd still call it an improvement.

Reactions: type2_2020

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if it's every day you may want to tweak your diet a bit so that you reduce the raise. I suspect the effect is a bit cumulative so you may find that a little tweak may bring down your overall levels- but as always you need to find what works for you.

Every decision is one you make- ultimately people can give you their opinion but if it is not something that is sustainable for you it will not work. We are all so different so while we can all advise and support each other- which is great we have to find something we can sustain.

Good luck!

Reactions: LaoDan and Oldvatr

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for this. I’ve been diagnosed for a week and my head is spinning!
It gets better. It's scary at the start and very overwhelming.... But you'll get the hang of it, and you'll end up feeling a lot better than you have been.

You'll be okay. :)
Jo

Reactions: Redbutterfly

Andy_J

OK one more question, seem to have the levels better but now I knew I needed new glasses but the optician has said I have cotton wool spots in my one eye. So is this a perment thing and as long as I keep my sugar levels low will they go away or is that it for the eye as the damage will be permanent?