1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New diagnosis as type 2 Hba1c test 104 and in shock

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Andy_J, Jun 21, 2020.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just to add be aware that some people still have bgl spikes on some sweeteners. If anyone is wondering why they get higher numbers than expected for the carbs they’ve eaten then this is worth considering. Many popular fizzy drinks affect me as does maltitol, and many granulated sweeteners that use bulking agents maltodextrin or dextrose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Malitol is listed in the ISO standard for BGL meters as a known contaminant that causes meters to misread. Manufacturers are requested to desensitize their products for this and other sugar alcohols, but not all meters are meeting this request.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Andy_J

Andy_J · Member

What would be an acceptable increase when testing 2 hours after a meal like lunch? 2.5 difference to much so I need to work harder on what I eat or would people say that's OK?

4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

The aim'd be 2.0, so you're just barely over that. I'd still call it an improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think if it's every day you may want to tweak your diet a bit so that you reduce the raise. I suspect the effect is a bit cumulative so you may find that a little tweak may bring down your overall levels- but as always you need to find what works for you.

Every decision is one you make- ultimately people can give you their opinion but if it is not something that is sustainable for you it will not work. We are all so different so while we can all advise and support each other- which is great we have to find something we can sustain.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Redbutterfly

Redbutterfly · Newbie

Thank you so much for this. I’ve been diagnosed for a week and my head is spinning!

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It gets better. It's scary at the start and very overwhelming.... But you'll get the hang of it, and you'll end up feeling a lot better than you have been.

You'll be okay. :)
    Jo

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Andy_J

Andy_J · Member

OK one more question, seem to have the levels better but now I knew I needed new glasses but the optician has said I have cotton wool spots in my one eye. So is this a perment thing and as long as I keep my sugar levels low will they go away or is that it for the eye as the damage will be permanent?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook