Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It was fun, I didn’t want to stop again! Came in halfway to shore and managed to get a CGM reading of 4.3 so I chewed a couple of ginger candies and stayed out a little while longer. It stays pretty shallow quite a ways out so I’m never that far from being able to put my feet down.

479EE5F1-A224-4229-AD91-70DC52B5EAF1.jpeg

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So today.. With the use of wireless equipment & some cunning social distancing.
We ripped up on a disused cow farm yard in the middle of nowhere for the afternoon..

Nice day for it too!
Sounds perfect and great fun! Did the cows enjoy your music? Must be the strangest audience you've had :)

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds perfect and great fun! Did the cows enjoy your music? Must be the strangest audience you've had :)

We have had a " cowdience" in the past. Drummer has a purpose built studio set up for his kit & lives on site.
The farming side of stuff stopped months ago, so the cows & the guy that ran that side of buisiness has gone..
The whole yard surrounded by open sided out buildings was gutted & vacant.

So we relocated there..

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi good folks, not been on for a while hope you are all keeping safe and well.

I use a Medtronic 640 pump but find most times after I change the fusion set, my BG for the next 6 hours or so tend to rise quite high. Its as if the insulin is not getting through. I have checked and it does seem to be going in. Thereafter things seem to fairly normal. Does not happen every time but it does on many occasions Just curious does anyone else find this ?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning from a wet and miserable looking York :p I got the first coat of paint on the ceiling and walls yesterday so a little sanding and the top coat to come :)

A nice waking 6 mmol today on the extra 12 hours my xDrip software gives me at the end of the Libres 14 days, I've a new one on the other arm ready to be used shortly and I've a transmitter holder to superglue as it's split where the (bra :p) strap comes through, it's had some hammer on the mountain bike and in the gym and is/was a better holder than the one that comes with the Miaomiao.

Have a good one :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, slightly cloudy here in Somerset though warm. @urbanracer, fascinating stuff, interesting that it only went for 20 hours on mice, wonder how long it'll last on humans? I have a feeling that it'll be a fair while before it's generally available and that when it is it'll be mega expensive. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong on both fronts.

@kev-w don't forget that if you're having trouble getting the holder in one piece we've learned that you could always screw it on :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Have a good day all

Reactions: urbanracer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The patch looks like a diabetes dream @urbanracer, and I wonder if it’ll advance to 24 hours of possible use. Maybe if insulin needs aren’t high? No big fish and chip takeaways? Or maybe it’s the validity half-life of the glucose monitoring substance that limits it to 20 hours?
I really really hope I can blow the daughters’ inheritance and have at least one day with it before I pop my clogs.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, been away for a bit due to some extreme stress regarding diabetes, the plague and the university since we got pulled off placement back in March. After four appeals to the “fitness to practice” panel, I’ve finally been cleared to go back out on the road as a student paramedic. It’s been a miserable few months, wondering if I’d even be able to complete my studies. Should be back out on the nee-nah next week :)

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon!

@LooperCat much sympathy from me on all that stress - it took the 3rd attempt for me to persuade my workplace I would be perfectly OK to be back in work when they were having conniptions about me setting foot outside my house. In the finish, they decided my real highest risk factor was, in fact, my use of public transport! I've had the grand total of 2 hours with real students since March 20th.

Today, however, I've been ploughing through the on-line training I can do until I get sent the proper links for the last bit of that I have to do. I then have a booklet based one, and a long-delayed pile of church admin proofreading to do (couldn't summon up the enthusiasm for service booklet proofreading until it was certain we were back on the premises!

Also been e-mailing parents/carers for song requests from the under 13s for the church social media. I knew it was a mistake - first request is for a much loved, though not well known generally, Christmas song in my bit of the world. There was complete anarchy (from the grumpy teenagers who'd been made to attend that service) the one year I omitted if from the Christmas Eve children's service and I've not dared to skip it ever since. However, as I've promised and I don't make promises I can't keep, so I will oblige!

Having a go with the MySugr app - so far, so good.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you've had so much stress @LooperCat. Hope you have a much better time ahead, and great to see you back. Take care, and stay safe.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all. Last week of doing full time patient transport before I go back on the emergency side. Quite nervous after such a long break, but I’m sure I’ll get back into the swing of things. Bloods haven’t been amazing (for me) with all the uncertainty, long term stress hormones like cortisol are, well, horrible on BG. Just about finished my last assignment of the year, so want to get that submitted by the weekend, so it’s out of the way before placement starts. Hope you’re all well.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, been for a walk this morning and after overnight rain it's overcast but pretty steamy here. A day of errands for me - collecting shopping, going to the tip, other bits and pieces.

@LooperCat it's great to hear from you though horrid to find out you've been having a rough time. I'm hard put to understand why people who don't have diabetes want to make H&S judgements about those of us who do yet manage to get amazing results and so are obviously aware, and in control of, their condition. Four appeals for you, three for @Japes; and don't get me wrong, from work experience I understand the duty of care an employer has, but there's also the weight of evidence to consider. There doesn't seem to be a lot of care involved in putting someone through that kind of stress!

Have a good day all whatever you're up to.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all and good to see you back @LooperCat.
I’ve no doubt your employers were trying to protect you, but it’s a shame that they didn’t realise the impact of the processes they put you through which seemed to do the opposite of protecting you.
Break a metaphorical leg with your last assignment.
I’m full of a mixture of admiration and envy for all of you who’re out there, living and working through this. I do wonder what my reaction would have been if it had occurred during my working life.
I have full confidence that one place I worked at would have been superb, but all the others were set in building that wouldn’t have been easy to adapt and managed by people who I suspect were not equipped to deal with swift changes for the benefit of others.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Older daughter’s having her car serviced today and is probably coming here to sit and do the lockdown school marking while she waits for it to be done. Socially distanced which is sad, but so much better than geographically distanced.
We had some great news yesterday, younger daughter’s driving down to stay in older daughter’s house and feed the cat while they and dog are away on a self-cater break, so we’ll see her before too long too. Whoopee!
I’ve just booked a space at the tip too and hoping I’ll be able to get enough of the big recycle stuff in the car. We’re heartily sick of all the old kitchen makeover cardboard boxes and the bits unearthed when the garden was partially recivilised (I don’t like gardens that haven’t got a bit of rough around the edge). It’s amazing what history was unearthed, sometimes literally: a few disturbing air gun cartridges from the time the then neighbours’s T1 son had an air rifle, childhood Lego bricks and doll torsos, an old broken sunglasses frame from the 80s, few bags of horse manure I picked up before the knee was too bad, a couple of old bonfire lighters, the metal top of an old chimnea from the 90s, etc etc.
The manure’s not going to the tip!!!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning - just
BGs are being a right royal PITA yesterday and today. Todays graph looks like the roller coaster from hell. Think I may be coming down with something......see what the rest of the day brings