Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will the training be taking place indoors @Japes? Could you not ask if you could distance train at home @Japes? As someone who’s clinically vulnerable you could plead that you wouldn’t feel safe spending three days indoors for training if that’s where it will happen. A laptop could be provided for it if you’d be at risk as it’s surely a responsibility of the workplace to provide a safe working space to protect employees.

It's complicated in a workplace with our very high number of staff to student ratio and our tech availability strongly biased to students having first dibs on the laptops... the strong message is "Do the training at home, on your own devices." I also need to see exactly how much there is! They've also concluded my risk is higher because I may need to use public transport if my blood sugars drop on the walk to work rather than the diabetes itself! Yes, I pointed out my risk of dying is higher if I get it, but that information was still quite new when my risk assessment was done. (It's one of the reasons I've not been back in on the rotas currently in operation.)

Also, knowing how much things keep changing at the moment - there's every chance it may all get postponed until we are all back in the buildings and can use the work computers!! If I remember correctly, we usually run out of free computers fast on training days anyway!!

It will also be easier for me to make a decision once I've been in today and seen what the spacing is like.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, older guy buys a smart watch and regrets it, my resting heart rate is 44bpm but can drop to 38 in my sleep :p but it's sat upon a tattoo so may be wrong, or maybe not or something :banghead:

I've had some crazy hypos but not for a long time and when I was diagnosed at 17 with a blood in the low 30's it was a date night day, the girl had 'done one' by the time I arrived so I went for a few underage drinks and hospitalised myself so that wasn't a good start :p although as my parents had asked the consultant about my life expectancy and got the answer '47 year old' I was sulking a little :banghead:
I had quite a few ambulance rides in the early days, I've even been nicked by the police for being 'drunk and incapable' but when they searched me at the police station found my diabetes card, used their tester and got me an ambulance :p I found digital testing to be a help when I got access to test strips as our hospital was pretty tight with everything them, and when I look back at the 12mm needles and intramuscular injections (aged 53 :p) accept it's a whole lot easier these days as I can watch my bolus for my porridge rice and bread work as intended :p

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry @Fairygodmother I have not a clue what doctors said about having kids as I didn't get type 1 until I was 46. I have a feeling though it depended mostly on your doctor.

The tomato ap is now running within 5 points of the Libre which is about 10-15 points of a pet bg meter. So far so good.

Reactions: hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
good morning everyone just back from my first morning back at work not too bad at all i am going back this afternoon to do a bar shift ,only the one as a favour have a good day everyone when i have a hypo i get spaced out and my heart feels like its gonna burst out my chest dont get aggressive more dopey than anything yet when bgs are running high im like a raging bull ;)

Xal

I have had a rollcoaster ride since diagnosis 8 months ago- my BG has been up & down. Many hypos and hypers sometimes in the same day. I have found it extremely difficult.

I worked at University but it was all too much for them & me so we parted company last week. The good news is I now have time to try and get my health back on track. The bad news is I need to find a new job which I reckon will not be so easy in the current climate.

Currently I seem to have a have a hypo every day - luckily nothing requiring medical intervention. Is this up& down what you remember you first 12 months honeymoon period being like?

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Xal i still have days like that now, 6 years in. Some days despite best efforts I veer between highs and lows, other times it just seems more stable and I haven’t really done anything different. It can be very frustrating. But I have more confidence now that I am doing my best. So yes the first year was hard because there was so much to learn, but it’s not like it fixed itself after that. I’m still learning every day.

I’m not sure if that’s helpful to hear! Sorry about the job, I hope you find something else soon.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Xal Try to do a basal test. If you are dropping too much every day, most likely your basal is set too high. Or it could be your insulin carb ratio dosing is too strong at your meals or both. But it's hard to change anything else until your basal rate is right.

Sometimes people find it helpful to split their basal insulin so they can make adjustments for night and day. On my bolus dosing I have a lot higher ratio for the mornings, I require less of an insulin ratio by afternoon and night,

The honeymoon period can be a real pain, creating inconsistencies. But dropping too much every day is consistent, so something is off. And even if you have this disease a while you won't escape all lows. You just try to catch them before they get too low and you become a mess. A Libre if you can get one really helps see patterns..

https://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
I’m sorry your roller-coaster first few months has cost you your job @Xal, and I too hope you’ll find another one soon, one that’s more accommodating to your need to work when you’re able to. If it’s any consolation, Universities are taking a big COVID hit; there will be fewer staff doing more intensive jobs as they try to cope with the double whammy of increased student numbers and mounting debts. Lots of students who hoped to be on work placement will be returning and the business style of semi-privatisation, plus locked in, circumscribed borrowing has led to increases in student places. The large classes in some places will be very hard to divide into smaller ‘safe’ groups with enough staff and time to teach each group. The people I know who work in Universities are dreading next year. I find it very very sad, so many of the skills covered in Universities are important, and we need them: medicine, science, engineering, languages . . ., but the teaching of them is being made really difficult.
With regard to your blood sugar control, have you contacted the team who are looking after your T1, did they give any useful advice?
I certainly remember being up and down when I was first diagnosed. I was on a basal that had set peaks at meal times, and was a student with a ‘carefree’ lifestyle who had insufficient knowledge to calculate carbs. Maybe I was also in a honeymoon period. I can’t remember the term being used back then.
It certainly made things ‘interesting’.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, busy gardening day yesterday but I finally managed, for the first time for four days, to get my insulin/activity/heat/carbs right! Not a hypo in sight and pretty steady all day. Which leads me into...

@Xal, sorry to hear you're struggling, but my story this week is one of 35 years of practising and still not getting it right! To be fair, my biggesst problem was not adjusting enough for heat and exercise, although as @ArtemisBow said, there are days when you do things exactly the same as the day before and the result's entirely different. You'll see mention on here frequently about mysterious highs and lows, which we tend to blame on the wrong colour socks, or the fact it's Tuesday, or any other old rubbish because sometimes there's no apparent reason. You'll also see an expression 'ydmd' which means 'your diabetes may differ'. We're all very clear on here that everyone's diabetes is their diabetes, and someone else may do the same thing yet get a completely different result. My first year was pretty straightforward, only an occasional hypo, though I did have a brilliant DSN who was always available with help and advice.

Having said all that, I'd agree with @Marie 2 in that if you're hypoing every day it looks like your basal may be off or your bolus/carb ratio may be out. Again, there's a lot of variation between people in carb/insulin ratio. Good luck and shout if you want more info, loads of helpful people here.

Reactions: karen8967

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By heck it's lunchtime already :) a morning's priming and sealing my bathroom ceiling and walls and a tapping foot watching it dry, 3 times I've stripped the ceiling but am learning as I go, you can't paint over a surface that's been distempered and I thought that was something dogs got, so we live learn and keep sanding:banghead::banghead:

Wallpaper next :arghh: after injecting late for lunch as I'd eaten it before I thought about it :) though it'll work out as I'm on the tail of this mornings jab still.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After saying this morning about having some days where it’s just all over the place, well I had exactly that today. Hypo with 3.3 at 6am. Treated it, bounced to 11 before breakfast. Corrected, hypo again at 11am. Treated, bounced to 12. Stayed between 10 and 12 all through the afternoon despite being quite active. One hour after dinner I scanned the libre and it said 3.5. “Yeah right” I thought “this is reading low again”, took a blood test and got.... 2.4 Really didn’t feel it. I guess having so many hypos in one day really dulled my senses.

Ate jelly babies. Really tried not to eat the whole packet. Even so, where am I now? Up at 9 again.

I don’t think I’ve spent more than 10 minutes in range today.

Never mind, tomorrow is another day...

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Passed my driving test in Feb and ordered a car (Leasing) was given a delivery date of end of April but due to covid that was extended. Car was delivered yesterday and I am extremely pleased, I have definitely missed driving and love my new car!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning :) reasons to be cheerful? 4 sheets of wallpaper hung (and 2 screwed up and binned :oops: as I'm hanging around the bog and it's thick lining paper). Not the best 24 hours control as I've bounced a little and the libre's having a hissy fit at 10 days old, it had me at 3mmol most of yesterday when fingersticks hovered around 5mmol, and wearing a transmitter gives you many alarms :banghead:

Having woke on a 8.9mmol but jumping to 10 with my feet touching the floor I've had an extra u and am waiting the bloods down :hungry:before my porridge and may only have 1 slice of bread with my eggs.

Then back to papering :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all, grey here too.
I took my car in to the garage yesterday afternoon so it could have a naughty stopout night before its service and MOT today, hope it’s had a good time. I didn’t go inside the garage to drop the key off but the lovely receptionist came to pick it up. We were both wearing masks while we giggled through the COVID country dance of advance and retreat to the bollard with the flat top, lots of dosi doh and a nice bit of natter. We’ve known her since she worked at a cafe in town.
They have lovely masks at the garage, Hi spec, ventilated, well fitting, patterned if wanted, reusable. I want one! I’m going to see if I can ask them to order one for me when I pick the car up today and request they add it to the bill.