High levels

Ninaando

I've just recently started exercising with a pt. I need to lose weight and I'm trying to get fitter. This morning 2/3 of the way through a metafit session I just didnt feel right , a bit not with it. I hadnt eaten beforehand just grabbed a cereal bar on the way , I tested my blood sugar as soon as I got home and it was 12.8. Would that make me feel strange ? I'm fairly newly diagnosed so it's all a bit confusing.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just recently started exercising with a pt. I need to lose weight and I'm trying to get fitter. This morning 2/3 of the way through a metafit session I just didnt feel right , a bit not with it. I hadnt eaten beforehand just grabbed a cereal bar on the way , I tested my blood sugar as soon as I got home and it was 12.8. Would that make me feel strange ? I'm fairly newly diagnosed so it's all a bit confusing.
That's pretty high, and yeah, high blood sugars can cause confusion just like they would if you're too low. (You already know the carbs are a problem, why go for cereal in whatever way, shape or form? Did you think you were low?) There's better things to eat than high carb cereal bars. Next time, go for something low carb and fatty, like cheese or meat. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help.
Good luck!
Jo

Ninaando

To be honest I just didnt give it a thought , had a rubbish nights sleep and rushed out of the door. I'm going to have to give it a bit more thought. I've arranged my next one for a lunchtime so I can have a decent breakfast before

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I just didnt give it a thought , had a rubbish nights sleep and rushed out of the door. I'm going to have to give it a bit more thought. I've arranged my next one for a lunchtime so I can have a decent breakfast before
That sounds a good idea. Dr Bernstein says that insulin resistance is higher in the morning, so it's best to eat fewer carbs for breakfast than later in the day, and postpone exercise too, as that can also raise bg. However, this all seems to me very much down to the individual. Personally I seem to be less able to tolerate carbs in the evening and all exercise risks raising my bg, whatever the timing. Others find exercise lowers bg. Some do well fasting, others (like me) seem to experience fasting as yet another stress which raises bg. You are an experiment of one! I agree with Jo, you will also need to research snacks that are convenient but not too carby. Well done exercising with a PT, especially in these difficult times. Even if, like me, you find some exercise raises your bg in the short term, it should improve it in the long term. BTW disturbed sleep can also raise bg. Any stress or fatigue and your nanny liver is likely to give you a nice big shot of glucose to help you cope.

Ninaando

Thankyou , i think it was a combination of things to be honest. I've not really done any exercise since I was diagnosed so I think I was just surprised that it affected me the way it did , I did some different workouts that were fine but I attempted metafit today and it was a bit of a disaster.
I've been trying to lose weight and have managed about a stone so far , with a lot still to go. It's hard because I'm furloughed from work and trying to be as careful as possible so a pt seemed ideal. I'm going to persevere and monitor my glucose levels more regularly .

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’ve found, the higher intensity the exercise, the higher my BG levels go up. I was alarmed by my readings, so I got a libre sensor to do more in-depth testing. It showed my BG spiking, but normalizing pretty quickly, and stayed lower for hours. Keep moving : )

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found when i first started i got this, but push through it. The fitter you get the less it will affect you. Best to eat before as i found if i did it didn't happen as much. (I just found a tangerine or similar was plenty just to get the juices flowing)

Also consider that some times, especially when starting out, diabetes or other wise if you push yourself you can feel sick and dizzy and odd. Its well worth pushing through and a PT is a good idea, i found with a PT i actually felt worse in the middle of the session, but when i compared myself later i realise this was because with the PT i wasn't quitting as much and taking less rest between sets. But keeping going with that meant that i got much fitter and got my bloods under controlled for the longer term.

Just stick with it and you will get past it

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a qualified metafit coach and I find when I do it, my BG always shoots up in the first 10-15 mins but either comes down and levels off or even goes too low in the hour or so afterwards! I've found being very careful with insulin afterwards is helpful, also check the sugar in your cereal bar as it might have caused a bit more of a spike than you would have had without it! x

Reactions: LaoDan