What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really miss all the lawn mowing at our last home. I'm thinking of asking our neighbours if I can mow theirs as well. All 3 might make about 1/3 of what I used to do. Grass doesn't grow very well here (except Newmarket) and I can't cope with that. What sort of place can't grow grass? No wonder there are thousands of pigs and trees round here :arghh:

I heard a small-town preacher tell a story once about his childhood home out in the country, and his mother, who was such a good homemaker that "not a single blade of grass" was allowed to grow in their front yard. I didn't get that at all. Where I grew up -- not very far away but in town -- fathers were very proud of their lawns and how they kept them mowed. No yard crews, the homeowners did all their own yardwork.

I wish you could come here and mow the lawn outside my back door, and the big field across the road. The grass is lovely.
Hmm. Maybe I will suggest to management that they let the field grow up next season and make and market a few bales of hay.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely starts to the day @Chiefy and @karen8967. My fbg readings averaged out at 4.5, so fair to middling like the St Swithun's weather. There will be a fair amount of cognitive dissonance for me should these readings since about April prove accurate. Does it really only take a bucketful of supplements and 16 hrs a day of steps to make a difference?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 today.
Great fbg again @Saskia
@Pipp thanks for sharing your experiences, I found it really interesting reading. Have you kept the weight off since the Newcastle diet and do you find bg varies if weight fluctuates? I agree with @ianpspurs ( for once, goodness!) it highlights the N=1 aspect and that we all need to find our own path.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
7.3 this morning after being over 9.0 during the night at about 3 AM this is a salutary lesson about not taking prednisolone late at night.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7.3 this morning after being over 9.0 during the night at about 3 AM this is a salutary lesson about not taking prednisolone late at night.
Oh, no. I hope everything settles as rapidly as possible. Take it easy my man we desperately need your calibre of humanity now more than ever.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 today.
Great fbg again @Saskia
@Pipp thanks for sharing your experiences, I found it really interesting reading. Have you kept the weight off since the Newcastle diet and do you find bg varies if weight fluctuates? I agree with @ianpspurs ( for once, goodness!) it highlights the N=1 aspect and that we all need to find our own path.
Hi, @DJC3 My weight has always been a concern. I am currently just into ‘overweight’ BMI from being many years in obese category. Yes, that means I was previously super morbidly obese before. Had a period of immobility a couple of years after ND following surgery. I did document it a few years ago, which I haven’t updated for a while....
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/five-years-after-newcastle-diet.102937/

I do find that BG is less stable if I gain weight. That fits the theory of personal fat threshold. (Prof Roy Taylor, Newcastle diet).

To be absolutely clear, I am fully in agreement with Dr Unwin’s Low Carb method, and the infographic of how many spoons of sugar equivalent in certain carb heavy foods being used as an education aid. Though would always, for myself, test any theory. Hence I am aware that banana is not causing me any discernable problems, but other people will, possibly, find their own variations on the theme. Also, I have found that what works now, won’t always work for me. Which is why I test regularly.
Sneaky beast T2!

As for this morning I woke late to a happy 5.2. Last night I felt cold and hungry, so had a late snack of Fage full fat Greek yogurt, with a teaspoon of ground almonds mixed in. Might try that combo again, as I do like to see results replicated several times before drawing any conclusions.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So far today have had readings starting with that fbg of 7.3 then 6.5 4.4 5.9 6.3 now 9.9 I don't really call that settled.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @DJC3 My weight has always been a concern. I am currently just into ‘overweight’ BMI from being many years in obese category. Yes, that means I was previously super morbidly obese before. Had a period of immobility a couple of years after ND following surgery. I did document it a few years ago, which I haven’t updated for a while....
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/five-years-after-newcastle-diet.102937/

I do find that BG is less stable if I gain weight. That fits the theory of personal fat threshold. (Prof Roy Taylor, Newcastle diet).

To be absolutely clear, I am fully in agreement with Dr Unwin’s Low Carb method, and the infographic of how many spoons of sugar equivalent in certain carb heavy foods being used as an education aid. Though would always, for myself, test any theory. Hence I am aware that banana is not causing me any discernable problems, but other people will, possibly, find their own variations on the theme. Also, I have found that what works now, won’t always work for me. Which is why I test regularly.
Sneaky beast T2!

As for this morning I woke late to a happy 5.2. Last night I felt cold and hungry, so had a late snack of Fage full fat Greek yogurt, with a teaspoon of ground almonds mixed in. Might try that combo again, as I do like to see results replicated several times before drawing any conclusions.
Very interesting thank you. I agree results need to be replicated before believing them. I think half my confusion comes from never being able to do that. The same meal on different days will give wildly varied results. I’ll always stick to low carb but it just makes me think there is SO much more to it than diet. That’s just 1 piece of the puzzle.
I’ll look back at your thread this evening. Thanks for the link. It sounds very hard to me so I am full of admiration for what you have achieved.