what should i do?

type2_2020

My wife thinks I should sue the NHS / GP surgery because of negligence.

My back story is on this thread
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...etes-team-wont-take-me-off-of-insulin.175527/

So when I was diagnosed I went into a DKA full blown almost died, with BG levels at 32.8. I woke up and was told i'm a diabetic on the 3rd day. hba1c at diagnosis was 96.

1 week later I was told by my DN that she found a previous hba1c from a year ago showing I was a diabetic then, an entire year before I ended up in hospital fighting for my life.

10 weeks on from DKA my GP phones me and says to me they are sorry they've only now realised I was diabetic. I'm not making this up, this actually happened, and that my history going back shows this.

But no one ever got in contact from any of the tests.

What's strange now is they are checking me for everything now, suddenly they are interested in my health care. GP says she's limited but wants to do as much tests about all my organs now and make sure I'm checked over.

I found it all funny to be honest, because for a whole year, I was eating sticky toffee pudding almost every night with ice-cream, malts, fruit juice, lots of cakes, lots of carbs, and I was getting bumps / clots a lot the more and more sugar I consumed. I went to the GP each time for these painful sacks of inflammations. I don't want to take any action because the NHS saved my life, i'm forever in those nurses and doctors debt from pulling me out of a bad comma and near death situation.

But my wife argues it could have all been prevented if the GP and the consultants had follow protocol when it was first discovered. And for them to realise 1 year later is not normal. It's not right, and they would have looked at the hba1c and should have flagged it up but no one did until after 1 week of the DKA to know i had diabetes before this all happened.

Stuck in an argument with my wife about this would be great to have some insight from members if you think she is right or i'm right.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It would certainly be something to write a letter to your practice manager about and perhaps also the level above them at area level - I forget what the name is but perhaps someone else will provide it, as if you were not informed then there might well be others in the same state of ignorance.
I hope that you are soon able to get the control you wish for.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect your surgery had an urgent internal review after your episode.

I was diagnosed late 2017. Apparently I was prediabetic in 2008 and 2016. Nobody told me.

I thought about it for a while. I decided instead of kicking off, I would use that energy in trying to do something about it. I found this forum and never looked back.

One of the things I learned was to ask for printouts for any tests. Read them, look up their values and as questions.

I no longer stand for being talked at.

By all means you can put in a complaint it is your right.

Reactions: Todd1974 and HSSS

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends what you want to achieve. If you want compensation then suing is a possible route - I have no idea your chances of success.
If you want the NHS or the GP Practice to deal with poor care, then you can submit a formal complaint. This may stop others going through what you did.
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-complain-to-the-nhs/

"You can either complain to the NHS service provider directly (such as a GP, dentist surgery or hospital) or to the commissioner of the services, which is the body that pays for the NHS services you use. You cannot apply to both.

In the event of a complaint about more than one organisation – perhaps a complaint that includes issues about your GP, local hospital and ambulance service – you'll only need to make one complaint.

The organisation that receives your complaint must then co-operate with the others to ensure you receive a co-ordinated response."

If you complain, you are not complaining about the doctors and nurses who saved your life, you are complaining about those that gave poor treatment and care in the first instance.

Reactions: Chook and HSSS

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 week later I was told by my DN that she found a previous hba1c from a year ago showing I was a diabetic then, an entire year before I ended up in hospital fighting for my life.
What was that HbA1c level?

type2_2020

If you complain, you are not complaining about the doctors and nurses who saved your life, you are complaining about those that gave poor treatment and care in the first instance.

I don't want to sue or do anything, I'm happy to be alive. But not sure if my wife has a point as through my eyes I am thankful for those doctors and nurses that saved my life

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50 or something like that
So in the diabetic range but only just and they normally do 2 tests so you could have been marginal on the other test. Had it been 70 or something then you would have been able to claim they were negligent but it is not clear cut in my opinion. If it was me I would send a letter of complaint rather than risk the expense of suing.

type2_2020

Yeah I think they've more than paid back, thanks for the feedback, think I'm going to go with my gut on this, happy to be alive to me is worth more. Maybe as a compromise, I will ask them why events had to unfold like this and how they will want to ensure it doesn't happen to someone else.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take on this @type2_2020 is that suing the NHS or a doctor is a tortuous route, and you must prove their alleged negligence harmed you. Even doing so, the chances of an damages being paid could be modest, and could be extremely costly - not only in terms of your pocket, but it might irretrievably damage any remaining relationship you have with your doctor.

My personal feeling is I am more likely to need my Doc, than they are likely to need me, at some point in the future.

In your shoes, I would certainly raise my concerns, in writing, and express your concerns for others as well as yourself, and ask what steps they will be taking to reassure you this could not happen again to you, or anyone else.

On that basis, you are asking for an improvement to their services, which I would suggest could be reasonable. Taking a more positive route might also enhance the chances of you getting a prize looking after, moving forward.

I have only ever made a written complaint about any services "enjoyed" by our family, and it related to my late mother, delays on her appointments, then absent medical records and so on, following a terminal cancer diagnosis.

Having sent my complaint, my mother was never, ever kept waiting - even regularly being seen ahead of others in the queue and before her time.

Sadly none of that could save her life. She was indeed terminally ill, but it did reduce her stress levels significantly, and helped reduce the resentment I felt about how my mother had been treated, and was expected to continue with a load of nonsense.

Good luck with it all, whatever you decide to do..

type2_2020

My take on this @type2_2020 is that suing the NHS or a doctor is a tortuous route, and you must prove their alleged negligence harmed you. Even doing so, the chances of an damages being paid could be modest, and could be extremely costly - not only in terms of your pocket, but it might irretrievably damage any remaining relationship you have with your doctor.

My personal feeling is I am more likely to need my Doc, than they are likely to need me, at some point in the future.

In your shoes, I would certainly raise my concerns, in writing, and express your concerns for others as well as yourself, and ask what steps they will be taking to reassure you this could not happen again to you, or anyone else.

On that basis, you are asking for an improvement to their services, which I would suggest could be reasonable. Taking a more positive route might also enhance the chances of you getting a prize looking after, moving forward.

I have only ever made a written complaint about any services "enjoyed" by our family, and it related to my late mother, delays on her appointments, then absent medical records and so on, following a terminal cancer diagnosis.

Having sent my complaint, my mother was never, ever kept waiting - even regularly being seen ahead of others in the queue and before her time.

Sadly none of that could save her life. She was indeed terminally ill, but it did reduce her stress levels significantly, and helped reduce the resentment I felt about how my mother had been treated, and was expected to continue with a load of nonsense.

Good luck with it all, whatever you decide to do..

I totally agree with you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 in 2017, I learnt at my first appt with my GP that I had had a high fasting blood sugar several years before. I hadn’t even been aware of the test taking place, the blood test had been for something else as far as I knew. I was never informed of the abnormal result. Initially I was angry, but I soon realised I wouldn’t do myself any favours dwelling on the past and I needed to look to the future and put my energies into researching what I could do for a healthier future. Like @xfieldok , I found this forum and never looked back :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with you.

I don't want to pry into conversations between husband and wife, but do you know what your wife would want to achieve by trying to sue the NHS?

If you aren't sure, it could well be that she is horrified at the thought that she might have lost you and is equally horrified you might not be the only person who has been let down

I would bet she feels like she's really been through the mill with all this too. It's very hard watching someone we love suffer. Doubled with the fact you had no inkling there was any underlying issue could be leading to her being very angry, and distressed, whether she is showing it or not.

To be honest, the handling of my diagnosis wasn't great, although nothing at all like your DKA etc, but my reaction was that it was not going to blight my life and all that business of being progressive wasn't going to be entering my life, without a big fight from me.

Hopefully you and your wife can reach a point where you have a plan towards a positive, healthy future. Living with diabetes doesn't have to be a scourge on a decent life.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Personally I wouldn't sue but I would want to make sure the surgery is now doing all the right things. Get yourself added to the surgery online system for test results and Patient Record; don't take 'No' for an answer as your surgery must provide that access. The access will enable you to see your results after each blood/urine test and before your review appointment. No one should ever assume the surgery will call you with any issue; as you have found they often don't so you need to be in control. I assume you may have some weight to lose and are having a low-carb diet. What meds are you on?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I think they've more than paid back, thanks for the feedback, think I'm going to go with my gut on this, happy to be alive to me is worth more. Maybe as a compromise, I will ask them why events had to unfold like this and how they will want to ensure it doesn't happen to someone else.
For what it is worth I'd agree with your decision to focus on the future and what seemed to have been a slip up rather than a systemic error. I'd say you were unlucky that your diabetes escalated from a barely diabetic hba1c to full blown dka over a year. That is no consolation for yours and your wife's suffering. I hope you will keep telling your story about how serious /mild' diabetes is and hopefully that your story gets a happy ending?
Finally as type 1 I've also been know to crave the really sweet stuff you mentioned despite having high bgs precisely because my body wants energy that it can't get from what I am eating but that's a clue that anyone in your position would have missed.

type2_2020

Spoke to her last night about it and the overwhelming support from all of you to confirm what i was thinking was where the majority would agree with and that I will write a letter to the CCG and GP. She said fine, and left it as that.

I was under a different unit last year when I started taking drugs for my mental illness and that hospital did every test and told me everything is fine not bother about anything. They should have been honest with me but they weren't. My GP was sent all the results and never said anything, even though he saw me straight after the tests for cysts that kept coming up. These cysts were clots and full of inflammation and puss, with the pain of a boil. Would happen all over my body. So I knew something was wrong I just didn't know what it was.
https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/a-z/diabetes-warning-signs

So for an entire year I have been symptom free from my mental issues and doing well, fully recovered, dealt with it by working hard and putting in the hours and skill I have. Then the DKA.

Later I found out that those cysts were actually because my sugar levels were too high. I've not had any since coming out of hospital. So yeah, when I get low sometimes my wife says to me to call the mental health unit, but I don't trust them at all. So I deal with my problems head on because my diabetes is all that matters to me now. GP and mental health teams knew diabetes runs in my family and I would have thought when I was on the borderline and some of the signs would have been dealt with swiftly but I guess all they were focusing on was my mental health. Which is understandable but at the same time, has lead me to have trust issues.

I'm working on the weight and sticking strictly to a low carb diet which is yielding results.

Now my GP has finally realised the error that was made, they are now doing everything under the sun to facilitate my care. Blood tests twice so far for the week. They're checking everything, cholesterol came back a bit high at 7.6 but I eat 1/2 a block of full fat cheese a day, so I've had to stop that for the next test. They've checked thyroid function, liver, kidney, the list goes on.

I use to never be able to get appointments at my GP and if I did it would be a 5 min telephone call, now I get appointments as and when. It's like they have realised the mistake that was made.

So I think a letter to reaffirm things would be suffice. So i can think positively about the future and know that something like this wouldn't happen again.

I now do always ask for test results even if I have no clue what they mean, i just type in the name of the test and look for charts or ranges to see where I am.

I do agree with my wife that this could have all been avoided. What does get to her a lot is that I almost died and she wasn't allowed to be there due to covid, so she was so stressed with it and when I finally came out of the comma, my speech was slurred and I was dizzy and confused and wasn't making any sense on the phone calls to her.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do agree with my wife that this could have all been avoided. What does get to her a lot is that I almost died and she wasn't allowed to be there due to covid, so she was so stressed with it and when I finally came out of the comma, my speech was slurred and I was dizzy and confused and wasn't making any sense on the phone calls to her.

I can completely see your wife's point of view but agree with most of the other posters that a legal case would probably cause more harm with the relationship you now have with your surgery. Use that improved relationship to get regular tests.

They're checking everything, cholesterol came back a bit high at 7.6 but I eat 1/2 a block of full fat cheese a day, so I've had to stop that for the next test.

Diet has an impact on cholesterol but mainly effects the ratios between the various lipoproteins so you really need to get a full lipid panel before making any decisions. The overall level is pretty meaningless to be honest. I'd carry on with the cheese as it provides significant satiety and once you get your blood sugars under control start looking at other health factors. If your surgery are really wanting to keep you sweet ask them for a Coronary Artery Calcium scan to look at the actual build up of possible blockages in the heart. Cholesterol monitoring is a pretty poor second cousin to this test.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoke to her last night about it and the overwhelming support from all of you to confirm what i was thinking was where the majority would agree with and that I will write a letter to the CCG and GP. She said fine, and left it as that.

I was under a different unit last year when I started taking drugs for my mental illness and that hospital did every test and told me everything is fine not bother about anything. They should have been honest with me but they weren't. My GP was sent all the results and never said anything, even though he saw me straight after the tests for cysts that kept coming up. These cysts were clots and full of inflammation and puss, with the pain of a boil. Would happen all over my body. So I knew something was wrong I just didn't know what it was.
https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/a-z/diabetes-warning-signs

So for an entire year I have been symptom free from my mental issues and doing well, fully recovered, dealt with it by working hard and putting in the hours and skill I have. Then the DKA.

Later I found out that those cysts were actually because my sugar levels were too high. I've not had any since coming out of hospital. So yeah, when I get low sometimes my wife says to me to call the mental health unit, but I don't trust them at all. So I deal with my problems head on because my diabetes is all that matters to me now. GP and mental health teams knew diabetes runs in my family and I would have thought when I was on the borderline and some of the signs would have been dealt with swiftly but I guess all they were focusing on was my mental health. Which is understandable but at the same time, has lead me to have trust issues.

I'm working on the weight and sticking strictly to a low carb diet which is yielding results.

Now my GP has finally realised the error that was made, they are now doing everything under the sun to facilitate my care. Blood tests twice so far for the week. They're checking everything, cholesterol came back a bit high at 7.6 but I eat 1/2 a block of full fat cheese a day, so I've had to stop that for the next test. They've checked thyroid function, liver, kidney, the list goes on.

I use to never be able to get appointments at my GP and if I did it would be a 5 min telephone call, now I get appointments as and when. It's like they have realised the mistake that was made.

So I think a letter to reaffirm things would be suffice. So i can think positively about the future and know that something like this wouldn't happen again.

I now do always ask for test results even if I have no clue what they mean, i just type in the name of the test and look for charts or ranges to see where I am.

Now, please don't think I'm on your GP, or anyone else's side, but it could well be that with an A1c at just above the diagnostic threshold, your medical team thought you had quite enough on your plate with the mental health issues.

If you think back to that time, I am assuming you were a bit low in yourself, how would you have handled a T2 diagnosis? Would you have been in a place to be able to handle it and move forward with dealing with it, or would it have felt like you'd been thrown in a pit, then boiling oil poured on top?

It doesn't excuse you not knowing about it until you were in a crisis of a different kind. I'm just trying to think how it could have come about.

Forgive me, but I can't recall if you have access to your full medical records, but if you do, you would be able to read the correspondence between the medics of the time.

I'm so glad you have decided to focus on moving forward and that your wife seems reconciled on that. You've all had an horrendous time. Reliving it time and again, pursuing a piece of history that can't be changed could be exhausting.

type2_2020

Now, please don't think I'm on your GP, or anyone else's side, but it could well be that with an A1c at just above the diagnostic threshold, your medical team thought you had quite enough on your plate with the mental health issues.

If you think back to that time, I am assuming you were a bit low in yourself, how would you have handled a T2 diagnosis? Would you have been in a place to be able to handle it and move forward with dealing with it, or would it have felt like you'd been thrown in a pit, then boiling oil poured on top?

It doesn't excuse you not knowing about it until you were in a crisis of a different kind. I'm just trying to think how it could have come about.

Forgive me, but I can't recall if you have access to your full medical records, but if you do, you would be able to read the correspondence between the medics of the time.

I'm so glad you have decided to focus on moving forward and that your wife seems reconciled on that. You've all had an horrendous time. Reliving it time and again, pursuing a piece of history that can't be changed could be exhausting.

To be honest I only got involved with the whole mental health team because of my wife. I generally like to face problems and anything that stresses me head on. That's how I grew up and that's all I know. I wouldn't say I was low, more like confused but I always channel positivity in the darkest of nights, I wasn't afraid of combating my trauma and tackled it swiftly.

I would have appreciated having the results. Knowing what I know now because I almost did a jesus (died and rose on the 3rd day) I would have cut all those habits immediately. Same as I did this time around. I appreciate the value of life, if i knew i was poisoning myself, i would want to stop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy now I know and yes I was near fatal, but she does have a point, this should have been dealt with at the first stage. I don't know how much damage has been caused as a result. I'm in limbo, they can't tell if i'm T1.5 or T2 and they are being very cautious about it.

I know deep down my wife is ****** off about it and I get it, I to had the same emotions when I found out, but I just want to move on and let be what's done. I can't change it, and whatever the results for the eye tests and foot assessments and heart tests show, I will just deal with it then. Don't believe in this blame culture but things like this happen and I'm happy I got a second chance to put it right, regardless of what the future holds, I know I can make it through.

If it wasn't for this forum I would still be following bad advice I got from my DN and Dietician. Some days I feel like a junkie injecting insulin and I'm still having to deal with my biggest phobia of all needles. It's been hard to do this 4 times a day and now blood tests like every week, it does get on top of me that I'm scared of the needles but I do it and get it done. I found out about low carb on this forum and never looked back and i'm grateful to each and every one of you for your comments and threads.

type2_2020

Had a checkup today by my GP nurse, she said that they are investigating how this has happened, she raised her concerns that things weren't done correctly and is awaiting until the investigation is over and said she will notify me of all the facts. Good News is my HBA1C is down to 57 from 96 a month ago. Next HBA1C in October should put me about 38 out of the diabetic range, So i'm pretty happy my diabetes is well and truly under control.

Just need to avoid stress, C-peptide test done today, all my vitals came back great so I'm pleased, feet ok, just need the eye test now

Reactions: Nicole T