DIY face masks & info on wearing masks effectively...

M

Member496333

You are required to obey the law or face £100 fine.
Of course you have the right to disobey the law if you wish, it may work out you finish up in clink if you refuse to pay the fine, thats if you feel it is a good cause to hang your hat on.
I just think there are better causes to be a martyr for!
D.

Thanks but that doesn't really answer my question.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spitting on people is of course a disgusting thing to do under any circumstances however your specific claim was that

There is so far as I can see no proof of people being infected by or dying from being spat at.

once again, you are missing the point.
It doesn’t actually matter whether public facing staff (in this case shop staff, but also police, transport workers and HCPs) are dying in droves after being spat on, or whether they are not being infected at all. What matters is the perception, by the staff member, from the media, that they will be at increased risk if they confront people not wearing masks.

public facing roles encounter drunks, drug users and all sorts of socially non compliant personalities on a daily basis. Non mask wearing is now a huge visible signal that the individual in front of them feels strongly enough to not wear a mask. It is just a small step further to think their behaviour could get more antisocial.

Thinking back to my days behind a till we had some very unsavoury characters as customers. Likewise my time as a waitress. My experience of those individuals informs my opinion that those same people are very likely to adopt a non-mask wearing stance, and are more likely to kick off if politely confronted. As usual, it boils down to simple empathy towards others. And courtesy. With masks as a very obvious visual signal of lack thereof.

M

Member496333

Non mask wearing is now a huge visible signal that the individual in front of them feels strongly enough to not wear a mask.

To be fair it may also be a sign that the person has a genuine reason for being exempt from wearing one. Unfortunately they are being immediately mobbed and vilified by the herd, no trial no jury. This is seemingly why the government have made available home-printable exemption cards, but I fear the majority have already made their mind up as soon as they see a naked mouth. And among the perpetrators are probably a bunch of people who weren't wearing a mask on July 23rd.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All of these appear to be evidence of people being spat at but there seems zero evidence of

a) the person doing the spitting being infected
b) that the death was caused by being spat at

Do you not agree?

Spitting on people is of course a disgusting thing to do under any circumstances however your specific claim was that

There is so far as I can see no proof of people being infected by or dying from being spat at.

Tell that to the family of Trevor Belle.

As far as I can tell there is no direct evidence either way so you cannot say with any certainty that it cannot or has not happened any more than it can be said that it can or has happened I would prefer to have some protection other than a complacent and dismissive attitude.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair it may also be a sign that the person has a genuine reason for being exempt from wearing one. Unfortunately they are being immediately mobbed and vilified by the herd, no trial no jury. This is seemingly why the government have made available home-printable exemption cards, but I fear the majority have already made their mind up as soon as they see a naked mouth. And among the perpetrators are probably a bunch of people who weren't wearing a mask on July 23rd.

Yes.
Peer pressure is a very interesting thing, and it cuts both ways. Always has.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
once again, you are missing the point.

No I'm really not.

You made the claim that people were "dying because they had been spat on".

You have now moved your argument to one of "perception" which is completely different.

I have no wish to fall out over this so will now withdraw. Keep well.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only a little. You being made to wear a face covering might annoy you but won’t kill you. It’s not exposing you to risk. You failing to wear a covering might kill me. Not quite the same thing.

Going out for a walk is unlikely to kill you but someone else driving a car over you might... yet you don't wear a bouncy suit to protect you?
We could take this down the line to yet more absurdity..

Keep away from people in shops if you are fearful.. it was fine for all until 23rd July and with what 700 new cases in the entire country you'll have to be amazingly unlucky to find an infected person in Waitrose anyway.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
Peer pressure is a very interesting thing, and it cuts both ways. Always has.

The" outrage of the masked" has begun on twitter already.. from some who should know better.

You have to wonder if it's true outrage or jealousy of those with more independent thinking but there will undoubtedly be trouble and the "powers that be" will love it as it takes attention away from them.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going out for a walk is unlikely to kill you but someone else driving a car over you might... yet you don't wear a bouncy suit to protect you?
We could take this down the line to yet more absurdity..

Keep away from people in shops if you are fearful.. it was fine for all until 23rd July and with what 700 new cases in the entire country you'll have to be amazingly unlucky to find an infected person in Waitrose anyway.
We could indeed get absurd. A bouncy suit would be about protecting me though. To make an equitable comparison we should discuss the prevention measures the driver takes to protect me. Lessons, a test, fines if they break driving laws etc.

I do keep away from people and did so before the magic date and indeed have worn a mask in public since March. Please don’t assume all who object are hypocrites. Nor do I think everything was all right before that date either.

According to the Zoe report I just read it was 1884 new cases daily in the U.K. last week.

I hope you are right about Waitrose.

edit : whilst you’re perfectly entitled to a different view that I’m always willing to discuss I am surprised about the sweeping statements and assumptions you are making

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If shop staff are in such danger why might it be that they are not required by law to mask-up?
I think the official reason, which I am just repeating not endorsing, is that people serving are in many different situations which may, or may not require face coverings, so a law, rather than advice, would be too complex to cover all cases. An example is my local building society, the person serving has always been behind glass with a slot at counter level to pass documents, a face covering would be a pointless inconvenience and the microphone she uses would be even more difficult to understand.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ladies & gentlemen.

This topic has gone a little off the beaten track.

Regarding the subject matter. There are either ideas contributed for a "Blue Peter" mask or there are creative ideas for a, mask.

Any further off topic will be deleted. Thread exclusions may also ensue..

Thanks for your compliance..

lindisfel

Expert
Went shopping at the Co op for first time since mid March.
I wore two masks, one DiY with valve and a blue surgical mask over the top. This is to protect me as well.
Every one in the shop was wearing masks to my wife and my great relief.
John Cambell has had more information on the effectiveness of masks recently on you tube which tends to confirm their effectiveness.

I think it will only take a week or two for protestations to subside.
D.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grand son does most of our shopping at the local coop he says that every customer in there was wearing a mask and this has meant the shop has been able to relax some of their measures such as the one way system they had in place so now you can move around the shop more freely.

I was sat out side the shop in the car yesterday when a lady came out with one of the most innovative masks I have seen she had wrapped toilet tissue around her face now there's a use for all those toilet paper rolls people had been stockpiling.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All my masks are either folded to form a pocket, or sewn to form a pocket.
With the very low infection rate around here, I am basically just using a mask to encourage social distancing (in myself and others) and comply with the rules.
However, if and when infection rates rise locally, or I travel to an area with higher infection rates, I will be able to slip a disposeable rectangle of meltblown filter fabric into each mask pocket, and then launder and re-use the mask itself.

Reactions: HSSS and pdmjoker

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Any ideas on masks for pet cats and would they wear them.

This is a Chinese version.

Attachments

• Animals-Face-Mask-.jpg
    Animals-Face-Mask-.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 267

lindisfel

Expert
I bet she looked like the invisible man.
Grand son does most of our shopping at the local coop he says that every customer in there was wearing a mask and this has meant the shop has been able to relax some of their measures such as the one way system they had in place so now you can move around the shop more freely.

I was sat out side the shop in the car yesterday when a lady came out with one of the most innovative masks I have seen she had wrapped toilet tissue around her face now there's a use for all those toilet paper rolls people had been stockpiling.:)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@lindisfel it was not wrapped around her entire head just over nose and mouth and back of neck.

I know the thing about cat masks is funny but we now have our first case of a cat picking up the virus from it's owner in the UK.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lindisfel it was not wrapped around her entire head just over nose and mouth and back of neck.

I know the thing about cat masks is funny but we now have our first case of a cat picking up the virus from it's owner in the UK.
Have cats in the neighborhood been contacted by Track and Trace?