DIY face masks & info on wearing masks effectively...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All my masks are either folded to form a pocket, or sewn to form a pocket.
With the very low infection rate around here, I am basically just using a mask to encourage social distancing (in myself and others) and comply with the rules.
However, if and when infection rates rise locally, or I travel to an area with higher infection rates, I will be able to slip a disposeable rectangle of meltblown filter fabric into each mask pocket, and then launder and re-use the mask itself.
Where will you source these filters? Like the idea.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: HSSS

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use the medical type masks I also have a washable ventilated mask with activated carbon filter inserts and there's always my shamag which has many uses and can be worn in many ways for when out on walks and not expecting to come across too many people.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This seems (almost) a valid option. No irritating mask over the mouth. Expressions and lips visible. Edges of the washable visor protected with a washable gator for airborne particles, air exchange via the gator same as through a mask. Cogs whirring here now how to create or source something like this in case of a second wave......

edit this article is about these “Badger shields” https://news.wisc.edu/new-shield-couples-covid-19-protection-with-a-clear-view-of-the-face/

ABA63159-4F8E-4A69-B287-396FAD3483C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This seems (almost) a valid option. No irritating mask over the mouth. Expressions and lips visible. Edges of the washable visor protected with a washable gator for airborne particles, air exchange via the gator same as through a mask. Cogs whirring here now how to create or source something like this in case of a second wave......

View attachment 43488
The problem I have had when I needed to wear a mask is that my glasses steam up. This solution look like it might be the same or possibly worse.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've made up some of these.
It is a brilliant design.
I’ve added a bendy metal nose shaper to some, but it doesn’t seem to make much difference to the fit.
it will be easy to insert a proper filter, if needed in future.
My father is delighted that he now has masks which don’t steam his glasses up.

Reactions: JenniferM55

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering, has it been settled yet what material is best to use for home made masks? I've heard a lot about t-shirt material, but how about microfibre cloths, or terry towelling cloths? I know it's a trade-off between being able to breath comfortably and keeping the virus in/out. But then, if the mask is able to insert a filter, I guess what type the material is isn't all that relevant, it's mainly what's comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe niqabs are a solution, at least for women.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering, has it been settled yet what material is best to use for home made masks? I've heard a lot about t-shirt material, but how about microfibre cloths, or terry towelling cloths? I know it's a trade-off between being able to breath comfortably and keeping the virus in/out. But then, if the mask is able to insert a filter, I guess what type the material is isn't all that relevant, it's mainly what's comfortable.
I’m hearing cotton for absorption on the inside and silk on the outside for some repellent factor.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m hearing cotton for absorption on the inside and silk on the outside for some repellent factor.

That's a great idea! I've got some scarves I never wear. I did read that cotton, when the fibres are moistened through breath, swell out, further creating a barrier. Thank you :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those interested in visors, I saw a lady wearing one of these recently. Visors aren't for me, although I can see uses in the garden, but this lady's looked so robust and comfortable, I enquired about her source.

https://lockwood-packaging-ltd.myshopify.com/

In terms of making a gator (whoever posted about that), you could try it first of all using a visor and shower cap, and see if the gator stays put.

I'm guessing some of the challenge would be how flimsy some of the visor "screens" appear to be.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing some of the challenge would be how flimsy some of the visor "screens" appear to be.
Agree entirely. I have a rigid one designed as diy or site safety which is brilliant. I also have some internet covid flat packed ones which are quite frankly annoying in their flappiness and lack of clear vision.

Max68

Having to bump this. I use the FFP3 Face Mask Moulded RD which are the reusable ones. The second week of wearing them, (I have 5 and rotate leaving them in the garage for 5 days before wearing again) they seem more uncomfortable than the first week. Could well be that just wearing them so often irritates after a while but was wondering if anyone uses the same mask?

If so do you wipe the inside seal with alcohol wipes at all to clean it as I guess your own oils can get into the seal? The little red filter on the front, I assume you don't clean or have to change this? Lastly they are reusable but the site said you could wear them until they lose their integrity. If anyone uses these how long did you use them before you had to buy a new batch?

The site I got them has sold out and I guess it could be a long winter finding new ones.

Thanks in advance.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having to bump this. I use the FFP3 Face Mask Moulded RD which are the reusable ones. The second week of wearing them, (I have 5 and rotate leaving them in the garage for 5 days before wearing again) they seem more uncomfortable than the first week. Could well be that just wearing them so often irritates after a while but was wondering if anyone uses the same mask?

If so do you wipe the inside seal with alcohol wipes at all to clean it as I guess your own oils can get into the seal? The little red filter on the front, I assume you don't clean or have to change this? Lastly they are reusable but the site said you could wear them until they lose their integrity. If anyone uses these how long did you use them before you had to buy a new batch?

The site I got them has sold out and I guess it could be a long winter finding new ones.

Thanks in advance.
I also reuse FFP3 masks after a period of quarantine, but not needed to so frequently that irritation occurs.

Ones with an exhaust valve like yours should be worn with a surgical mask on top for the protection of others, apparently.

Max68

I also reuse FFP3 masks after a period of quarantine, but not needed to so frequently that irritation occurs.

Ones with an exhaust valve like yours should be worn with a surgical mask on top for the protection of others, apparently.

Thanks for the reply that's interesting. I doubt I could fit another mask over the snout but I do also wear a visor and considering all other staff only wear visors guess that might be ok. When do you know it's time to throw them out and do you clean yours in any way?

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply that's interesting. I doubt I could fit another mask over the snout but I do also wear a visor and considering all other staff only wear visors guess that might be ok. When do you know it's time to throw them out and do you clean yours in any way?
Using a visor seems sensible.
Haven't needed to clean yet - low use frequency. Some makers advise about cleaning procedures, so seeing what the makers say might help. (NB Some particulate masks have a static layer to attract dry particles and these don't last long BUT COVID occurs in moisture droplets so the static layer isn't so critical and I expect its lifetime can be safely exceeded.)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this on youtube yesterday.
V interesting watch.
Though, to be honest, you could skip the first 22 mins if you wanted to shorten it.

From 22 mins in, they are discussing studies showing that wearing masks reduces the viral load (the inoculum), and therefore give a milder infection due to reduced exposure to the virus - or even an asymptomatic infection - one study (see link below) actually showed a 90% asymptomatic spread, but I will let you read the details yourself.

Links to her papers, a full transcript, podcast and more at https://zdoggmd.com/monica-gandhi

Throughout, the emphasis seems to be Yes, this is a theory, and we need more studies to clarify, but in the meantime, where is the harm of wearing a mask? And if the theory is true, we could open up, cease all lockdown, and enjoy relatively normal life + masks until herd immunity is reached by large numbers of mild or asymptomatic infections.

One of Monica Ghandi's papers published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-06067-8
and here is another from New England Journal of Medicine
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

Also (because these links took me down a 'mask rabbithole') I came across the following
I have seen references to Mike Osterholm publishing 'criticisms' of Monica Ghandi's suggestions, but have not found those yet
Would be curious to read them (in the interests of balance) if anyone finds them could they post them? although I am wondering if it is a case of things being taken out of context.
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...ischaracterizing-my-comments-about-face-masks
This is a link to Mike Osterholm himself, saying that he has been misquoted, out of context, and used as a reason why masks are bad, which is not his standpoint - but does not mention Monica Ghandi

Interesting stuff, but possibly (yet another) case of social media bickering.