What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have finished my Circle of Beech Trees, certainly not what I expected and glad it's finished as I was getting bored with it...Watercolour A4 took too long.
IMG_3626.JPG

Seems even shovelling earth for two hours was not enough exercise to bring it down.
Possibly put it up, my bike rides can do that.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@geefull Busy days are good but remember to smell the roses along the way. Thank you for your art comments and yes this thread is very supportive all around in all the many walks of members lives.

Like both of your art work today especially the watercolour. If you decide to try some Plein AIr sketching of landscapes try Charcoal or very soft graphite pencils. Yesterdays sketch was all done with a B7 pencil often using the flat if the lead rather than the point. I do like charcoal outside but it is a bit messy.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good afternoon all :)

4.5 yesterday and 4.6 today

long day yesterday,
I started off the day by deciding that I was going to make ice cream to go with lunch at mum's (first time this year), a mixture of sweetened fruit puree, extra thick double cream, full fat yoghurt and real egg custard all sweetened with a mix of erthritol and truvia :D

when we got to mum's it was hot so we ate outside and with the threat of thunderstorms from the forecast got out the lawnmowers and spent the rest of the afternoon cutting grass.

Katy was staying with us last night because she had an early appt. with the clipper in Dornoch this morning, by the time we'd walked her round the village I was jiggered :sorry: sat down and fell asleep, didn't even get to doing any art other than a quick little pencil sketch during the afternoon.

Out early today with Katy, she is much more 'sveldt' this afternoon than she was this morning ;)

Made some more jam this afternoon (blackcurrant and gooseberry), I find the smell that pervades the house nostalgic but very sickly sweet. so all the windows are currently wide open :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@ianpspurs - do you find making your own almond milk easy? I have trouble even grinding almonds properly myself, probably I'm using the wrong equipment :sorry:

@dunelm - your 'sketches' always have a strong graphic composition and flow :) the trees against the sky have such a feeling of the light in it

@gennepher - hope you're having a peaceful day today:).
two impressive pieces of art, lovely blending in those backgrounds, very atmospheric both of them, one very serene and one quite brooding :)

@Muddy Cyclist - interesting and solid progress on your trees and I like your pencil sketch very much it has a great sense of the place :joyful: sounds like it was a magical day.

Art bits -
thank you for the art compliments, it's a very encouraging and supportive group we have here :)

my sketches tend to be details of foliage or flowers rather than full landscapes but I do intend to try plein air :)

no 1 - trying out a couple of Derwent coloured (water soluble) graphite pencils, not one of my better efforts, the pencils didn't handle as I expected, I did a line drawing first then added a couple of other colours but when I used a wet brush to try blending the original lineart almost disappeared and I had to quickly sketch over it again :sorry:
View attachment 43243
no 2 - a small letterbox in my usual style ;) View attachment 43242

Thank you for my painting compliments @geefull

I have the Derwent water soluble graphite pencils but never been happy with the way they handled.
I probably like caran d’ache watercolour and graphite pencils best (ish). I do have others but I rarely use them now.

I love your letterbox watercolour.
It has beautiful detail.

lindisfel

Expert
Sobering discussion on the Infinite Monkey Cage with Jan Goodall.
She was saying how Aids got into humans via bush meat from apes and how fortunate we have been with Cov19 because the next virus could be as transmissible as Cov 19 but kill over 90% of the humans it strikes.
I hope our children and grandchildrens generations stop exploiting the world as ours has done.

Humans need to wake up and be stewards of the Planet.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
I have finished my Circle of Beech Trees, certainly not what I expected and glad it's finished as I was getting bored with it...Watercolour A4 took too long.
View attachment 43240

Possibly put it up, my bike rides can do that.
If only we could see the symbiosis that is occurring below ground within the root systems and fungi, how they 'talk' to each other in the so called, wood wide web, in mutual sustenance.
D.

Reactions: geefull

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today we had a call from a friend. He was walking through our little market town when a car drove onto the pavement, missing him by inches, and then crashed into a house. He estimated that it was doing at least 50mph on the 30 mph road.

He was so lucky but was really shaken up. An Air Ambulance attended and the road has been closed since lunch time because the house is unstable. Haven't heard if the driver is OK.

lindisfel

Expert
This can happen when drivers very dangerously access social media instead of fully concentrating on their driving.

Your friend was extremely fortunate.

Children could have been walking along the pavement.
D.

Today we had a call from a friend. He was walking through our little market town when a car drove onto the pavement, missing him by inches, and then crashed into a house. He estimated that it was doing at least 50mph on the 30 mph road.

He was so lucky but was really shaken up. An Air Ambulance attended and the road has been closed since lunch time because the house is unstable. Haven't heard if the driver is OK.

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 6.3 for me today.

A still, dull and humid day here. A day with nothing planned so into the unknown today.

Make the most of your day that you are able. Keep safe.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 this morning and the lovely storm has cleared the air a little which pleases me as I can breathe a little easier :)

Ordered a new digital peak flow meter, stores info much like the diabetes monitor https://smartpeakflow.co.uk/ Hopefully it will let me manage my COPD better as it seems to have worsened over the last few months.

I haven't forgotten the art class, just working on something that is taking its own sweet time ;)

Enjoy the day

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.5 yesterday and 4.6 today

long day yesterday,
I started off the day by deciding that I was going to make ice cream to go with lunch at mum's (first time this year), a mixture of sweetened fruit puree, extra thick double cream, full fat yoghurt and real egg custard all sweetened with a mix of erthritol and truvia :D

when we got to mum's it was hot so we ate outside and with the threat of thunderstorms from the forecast got out the lawnmowers and spent the rest of the afternoon cutting grass.

Katy was staying with us last night because she had an early appt. with the clipper in Dornoch this morning, by the time we'd walked her round the village I was jiggered :sorry: sat down and fell asleep, didn't even get to doing any art other than a quick little pencil sketch during the afternoon.

Out early today with Katy, she is much more 'sveldt' this afternoon than she was this morning ;)

Made some more jam this afternoon (blackcurrant and gooseberry), I find the smell that pervades the house nostalgic but very sickly sweet. so all the windows are currently wide open :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@ianpspurs - do you find making your own almond milk easy? I have trouble even grinding almonds properly myself, probably I'm using the wrong equipment :sorry:

@dunelm - your 'sketches' always have a strong graphic composition and flow :) the trees against the sky have such a feeling of the light in it

@gennepher - hope you're having a peaceful day today:).
two impressive pieces of art, lovely blending in those backgrounds, very atmospheric both of them, one very serene and one quite brooding :)

@Muddy Cyclist - interesting and solid progress on your trees and I like your pencil sketch very much it has a great sense of the place :joyful: sounds like it was a magical day.

Art bits -
thank you for the art compliments, it's a very encouraging and supportive group we have here :)

my sketches tend to be details of foliage or flowers rather than full landscapes but I do intend to try plein air :)

no 1 - trying out a couple of Derwent coloured (water soluble) graphite pencils, not one of my better efforts, the pencils didn't handle as I expected, I did a line drawing first then added a couple of other colours but when I used a wet brush to try blending the original lineart almost disappeared and I had to quickly sketch over it again :sorry:
View attachment 43243
no 2 - a small letterbox in my usual style ;) View attachment 43242
Thank you for the compliment about composition. Ice cream - drooling just reading about it. Great art; interesting door furniture and as ever a great piece of rolling thunder.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from another day of possibilities in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of cold meats and a stack of pickles came in at 4.8 this am

The apples are starting to fall and not that far from the tree so unclear about their qualities or talents. Best get ready for the annual apple sauce production line. We usually make enough to for well into the winter - we don’t use much as it sky rockets my bs but great on pork and mixed in with yoghurt.

Finished the so called worldwide No 1 bestseller - The Second Sleep by Robert Harris - was it picked to have such a lofty claim by a congress of baboons or just that it was about some catastrophe, possibly a pandemic, that threw the world back into medieval times?

BBQ today, in amongst the promised thunder storm - perhaps - outside or inside - the future is not yet written.

Bike out again yesterday, so hot, kept mainly to B and sometimes one or two C roads.
upload_2020-8-11_7-23-1.jpeg

Sketch today - styled on the art of Xia Gui - I have been told that trying to copy these old masters is good practice.
Hope everyone has a great day, bin day tomorrow, best get sorting out rubbish but first, koffy.
upload_2020-8-11_7-23-29.jpeg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This can happen when drivers very dangerously access social media instead of fully concentrating on their driving.

Your friend was extremely fortunate.

Children could have been walking along the pavement.
D.
Yes, I do agree. To drive at that speed through our little town was madness and the driver just could not have been concentrating on their driving.

Our friend was really lucky. He was quite traumatised and spent ages talking Mr K on the phone. He is popping in for a coffee today after we have been to the farm shop.

Thank goodness there were no children walking along the road. Also Mr K had ridden his motorbike along that road less than an hour before the accident. I know that is absolutely not a near miss but it is a worry that as safe a rider as he is there are others on the road who are dangerous drivers.

Reactions: ert

lindisfel

Expert
5.6 this morning and the lovely storm has cleared the air a little which pleases me as I can breathe a little easier :)

Ordered a new digital peak flow meter, stores info much like the diabetes monitor https://smartpeakflow.co.uk/ Hopefully it will let me manage my COPD better as it seems to have worsened over the last few months.

I haven't forgotten the art class, just working on something that is taking its own sweet time ;)

Enjoy the day

Hi A.A.
You may find the discussion on Hard Talk (W.S.) with Chris Packham interesting. No doubt his high functioning Asp results in his success with his work.
Have a great day.
D.

Reactions: UserABC2021

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9

Temp 35.1

My friend It's got back to me yesterday saying that they were not allowed in the vets when their dog was being put to sleep.

But the vet agreed to put their dog to sleep in their car. I would never be driving my car again if that happened to me. I would have to sell the car.

I didn't hear from her again until just after midnight. I left my phone on alerts for texting her even though I was asleep. But the message was 'I want him back'.

I could not get back to sleep again because I kept seeing a white light flashing in my eyes. And I'm thinking oh no I've not got eye problems have I. Then suddenly there was this huge sheet of lightning in the sky. Which was a relief, because I knew it wasn't my eyes now.

But these lightning strikes went on and on and on. I don't know what the thunder was like because I didn't have my speech processor on. They were right above me.

It was just sheet after sheet of lightning. Popeye got upset and he was patrolling the bungalow. He wouldn't come back to bed. Each time I brought him back to bed he got off the bed and was walking around every nook and cranny in the bungalow.

It was 1:00 a.m. by now and I could not stop by patrolling around the bungalow. He would not stay with me on the bed. The sheets of lightning was still going on around my bungalow.

Finally at 2:00 a.m. I grabbed Popeye again wrapped him in a towel. And brought him back to bed. He had been pacing for an hour. I couldn't get back to sleep because of the intense sheets of lightning still going on. So I put a towel over my face, and went to sleep.

Woke up at 3 am because Popeye had wriggled out of the swaddling towel I had wrapped him in. And he was still pacing the bungalow checking every nook and cranny.

I have got him asleep on my bed now. But I am tired out again.

Checked the weather and apparently this area had intensified periods of lightning strikes in the night, and people are posting photos and you tubes on it.

I won't be going shopping today either.

The weather looks deceptively beautiful at this minute...

Take care .

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Your friend was extremely lucky. I hope they are recovering from their shock @Krystyna23040

The same happened in the High St here last week around 7am. A car going too fast in a 30 area. It crashed in the railings, causing extensive damage, and just missing the bus stop. It was a driver on his own, no police chase nor other cars near him.
Fortunately a quiet time of day so no other people involved.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Enjoy the day

That new digital peak flow meter looks good @Alien Aspie

I look forward to seeing your art work...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sketch today - styled on the art of Xia Gui - I have been told that trying to copy these old masters is good practice.

That is what Cathy Wu said...copy, copy, copy the old masters to learn. This is so unlike the Western Way which advocates work from real life...

I like your painting. A lot to be learnt from the Old Masters. I need to do more of this, but there are so many things I want to do.

Sounds like you had a good time on your bike @dunelm